Notices

Fear of relapse

Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fear of relapse

Ok, SR I'm just recently coming back to sobriety after a relapse and I am worrying non-stop that somewhere down the line I'm going to relapse again. Not like I'm having an urge to drink just the fact that I so badly want to quit and worry that I'm going to give in somewhere along the line. I know all I can do is set up a program for myself, come to SR, read books, and most of all not drink. Does anyone know what I mean though? The nagging thoughts that you're going to fail and be stuck in this endless cycle.

Kinda just venting and I know from last time I had crazy anxiety for like a month or more after I quit. Oh well I guess I'll just watch a movie and hope I'm not restless later.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back.

I had a lot of anxiety when I stopped drinking too, but it was more about the messes I had made in my life, than about fear of relapsing. Try to stay positive and you will find that your confidence increases as time goes by.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I remember worrying about the same thing. I don't, anymore. It's been a year. I think I don't worry anymore because I've built things into my life that support my sobriety. My family and friends know I'm sober, etc.

You'll do great.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it is so important to talk about relapse so that we can see the signs before we do. It is always on the cards that we can relapse and we need to arm ourelves against it by forming positive habits.

I am only 90 days sober and that is what I am doing to prevent relapse. I am not scared of relapse, I just don't want to go back to that life and way of thinking.

Good on you for coming back .

On this website there is some great stuff on relapsing. It's audio and tehy have podcasts so if you are anything like me I like to do 2 or 3 things at once.

Addiction Recovery Tips and Tricks

All the best
CaiHong
Old 08-30-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fear of relapse was forever present for me as well. What helped in the beginning was the support/sponsor I had when I first sobered up and went to AA. Glad you are here at SR and seeking support in your sobriety.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Although i have never relapsed, as of yet, i know exactly what you mean. In the early months of sobriety, i was terrified of relapsing. I heard so many stories of people who tried so many times to quit and kept slipping, peppered with the stories of those with 5, 10, 15 years who relapsed. In some ways, i think it made me more vigilant.

At some point, that fear went away. Not sure when or why, but it will pass.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Great topic and I think for your length of sobriety your right where you are supposed to be at.

I would rather see someone in fear of drinking/using then be cocky about it claiming "Oh I got this thing licked now."

Fear of relapse IMHO can be productive if it motivates one to do something about it but it can work against ya and its like we almost talk ourselves into it by living in that fear and then that fear just grows and grows into this big negatve monster.

On one of my many trips to treatment I went to a place where they had a relapse prevention group and they explained how relapse starts way before we ever pick up. So they had us put all our triggers down on index cards kind of like our road map with the final destination the relapse.

A few of mine were like going to bars to shoot pool, still hanging out w/using friends, still out there acting like I was using but wasn't.

The book is called Relapse Prevention by,oops I forgot I think the last name is Gorky? but anuway look it up its really insightful. Oh zi got it Terry Gorsky

that was a huge brain fart:rotfxko

In any event just don't drink or use even if you want to!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys I appreciate the words and advice. I was diagnosed with anxiety disorders GAD/OCD and working on those I kind of helped me "realize" I had a drinking problem as well. I just want so badly to tackle this because I feel like life will be so much easier in the end.

Anyways just wanted to make sure my worrying wasnt too crazy and that this was natural.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newby1961 View Post
Great topic and I think for your length of sobriety your right where you are supposed to be at.

I would rather see someone in fear of drinking/using then be cocky about it claiming "Oh I got this thing licked now."

Fear of relapse IMHO can be productive if it motivates one to do something about it but it can work against ya and its like we almost talk ourselves into it by living in that fear and then that fear just grows and grows into this big negatve monster.

On one of my many trips to treatment I went to a place where they had a relapse prevention group and they explained how relapse starts way before we ever pick up. So they had us put all our triggers down on index cards kind of like our road map with the final destination the relapse.

A few of mine were like going to bars to shoot pool, still hanging out w/using friends, still out there acting like I was using but wasn't.

The book is called Relapse Prevention by,oops I forgot I think the last name is Gorky? but anuway look it up its really insightful. Oh zi got it Terry Gorsky

that was a huge brain fart:rotfxko

In any event just don't drink or use even if you want to!!

Thanks. I'll try that I was recently thinking about getting rid of, or more politely, phasing out some friends and places from my past. I made 4 months last time and relapsed. Big suprise at my last relapse my oldest drinking buddy, started drinking together at 15, was there. It was my sister's wedding but I need a plan or someway of avoiding situations that will be better this time.

I also think I'm going to go to a substance abuse counselor at the same place I went for my anxiety issues. I just don't like AA for a multitude of reasons and I feel like I need some accountability irl not just online.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi UofI2008

I was scared too - my health was so bad, I thought my next drink might kill me.

Eventually I reasoned I may feel the urges, I may hear the voices, but I didn;t have to act on them.

As I saw it, the buck stops with me.

I thought if I promised myself I would do everything in my power to do anything but drink? I'd be ok.

It's worked so far

Keep reaching out for support and never resort to that drink

D
Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

worry that I'm going to give in somewhere along the line.

Don't worry about relapsing somewhere down the line.

Just don't relapse today, you can make it 24 hours can't you?

Then tomorrow when you get up, just try not to relapse during that 24 hour period.

Repeat.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
I think it is so important to talk about relapse so that we can see the signs before we do. It is always on the cards that we can relapse and we need to arm ourelves against it by forming positive habits.

I am only 90 days sober and that is what I am doing to prevent relapse. I am not scared of relapse, I just don't want to go back to that life and way of thinking.

Good on you for coming back .

On this website there is some great stuff on relapsing. It's audio and tehy have podcasts so if you are anything like me I like to do 2 or 3 things at once.

Addiction Recovery Tips and Tricks

All the best
CaiHong
Didn't see this post. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think a little fear of relapse could be a useful tool to stay sober, but obsessing about it isn't healthy either. I used to relapse too often but finally managed to stay sober for good and this winter will have two years. You can do this but ya gotta wanna.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

No matter how sober anyone is, I believe we're all just one drink away from relapse. We all need a plan, even if it's an emergency escape plan. One plan for all emergencies. Plain old relapse prevention. You can stay stopped, too!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feeling a million times better today. Thanks guys. I just need to focus on the process and not the outcome.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was also terrified I would drink until someone in AA asked if I was afraid I'd be struck drunk? LOL.

Remember, it's only today we have to concern ourselves. Sounds like you won't drink today.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're feeling better. I also feared relapse and with good reason as I seemed to do it over and over without knowing why. Changing my habits and thoughts were key for me this time.