Notices

New here!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here!

Hi all,

Im new here and am just getting to grips with how it all works - never really been on any forum before. its really hard typing through tears as this is the first time ive ever really acknowledged my problem or tried to get help. ive pushed a lot of people away with my drinking and truly believed that because i didn't drink every day i didn't/dont have a problem. However right about now - reality is telling me otherwise.

Have had a great guy in my life (for the first time since the collapse of my marriage - 10yrs ago) for the past year and now i have managed to destroy the relationship with my drunken outbursts.... im know i need to abstain completely and im hoping this site can help!

Sometimes after a long day i tell myself i deserve a nice drink (glass of wine) and sometimes i'll pour it and nurse the one drink all evening... or it would be two glasses tops and it would have taken the edge off my mood. I thought as i was CONTROLLING it in that manner everything was ok. It wasn't, because every time after that i would have a little more and a little more still thinking i was in control.

Then my character changes completely and i get nasty to the people around me - i just want to fix this..... Ive drunk since i was a teenager, i'll be 37 soon. So mad at myself.

Thanks for reading,

Want this to stop.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, wanthistostop. I'm sorry you're so sad.

I was so hopeless when I found SR. Had tried and failed to quit on my own so many times. You sure have come to the right place. You'll get lots of support here—lots of ideas on how to break the cycle, and start a brighter life anew.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wantthistostop

I came here with my life and relationships in ruins too.

The folks here were, and are, amazing - they helped me turn my life around, and to saty sober.

Hope we can help you do the same too.

You're not alone here.

Welcome

D
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

There are a lot of us here who have been through similar experiences. Realizing you have a problem is a very hard thing to do. I remember the day I finally realized I had a problem I was sobbing and praying (literally) for help. I was so emotionally upset (not to mention hung over) that I started throwing up and had the worst bloody nose I've ever had. After that was over, I just felt peaceful. I felt so relieved just to admit it. I then searched "alcoholic moms" on the internet and found this website which has saved my butt on more than one occasion.
I think it's great that you have admitted you need help. You can do this, and your life will be so much better! When I stopped, I honestly didn't know how I would be able to live without drinking to look forward to. Life now is so much better.

There is so much help on this site if you're willing to be open to it. Lots of support. Keep reading and posting!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm familiar with those outbursts! And boy did I feel like an out of control arse the next day! The good news is it can stop! Alcohol can bring out the beast in the nicest people. . You are in understanding company. There are so many things I wish I could take back but all I can do now is try to live a better life. I made it through today without drinking and I'll take that as a small miracle! Hang in there and read around the site! You are in great company!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, wantthistostop

I used to think of reasons my drinking wasn't all that bad, or how I'd stop tomorrow, or that when I got certain things changed in my life I wouldn't have the stress, etc. etc.......

Finally, after the hangovers got bad, I started thinking I needed to quit and would swear I wasn't going to drink anything ever again. Most of the time I was out buying wine the same day. That was scary, because it happened over and over again.

I finally got sober with the support and understanding of the people here. If we can do it, you can too.:ghug3
Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR

I can very much relate to your story. I started drinking about the age of 15 and did not stop till I was 35. Needless to say there are many things that I did during that time I would rather I have not done and am ashamed to say I have done.

One thing that stands out to me in your story is where you say
Sometimes after a long day i tell myself i deserve a nice drink (glass of wine) and sometimes i'll pour it and nurse the one drink all evening... or it would be two glasses tops and it would have taken the edge off my mood. I thought as i was CONTROLLING it in that manner everything was ok. It wasn't, because every time after that i would have a little more and a little more still thinking i was in control.

Then my character changes completely and i get nasty to the people around me - i just want to fix this..... Ive drunk since i was a teenager, i'll be 37 soon. So mad at myself.
This was my pattern of drinking for many years. Something bad would happen and I would decide I needed to stop or control my drinking. I would stop drinking for a bit. Then my mind would tell me I could have just one and it would be ok. I would drink just one and the sky didn't fall on my head so I figured ok, I can drink one and it is ok. Eventually though my mind would start justifying just another drink or two. Then before I knew what happened I found myself right back in uncontrolled drinking, making a fool out of myself, saying and doing things I regretted, having hangovers, hurting the people in my life, jeopardizing my job, etc.... Then sooner or later something really bad would happen, I would decide to quit again, then decide I could have just one or two, then back to the uncontrolled drinking. It was a vicious circle that seemed endless.

For me to get off that roller coaster I had to finally accept that alcohol had beat me and to continue to drink it was insanity. Once I accepted that then I found a program of recovery and started piecing my life back together. It has taken time and it is still a process. But the one thing I have not had to do is drink over anything even to take the edge off my mood. Here is a list of many of the recovery programs available. I encourage you to try to find one that will work for you also to stick around here at SR as it is a wonderful place full of support. Take care and I do hope you find what you are seeking. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. You've come to a place with a lot of support and understanding. I credit this site with keeping me sober. It's my family on my desk. I hope we can help you get and stay sober. It's worth it.

And if you need some reasons in favor of staying sober, here's a growing collection.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ing-sober.html
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

welcome....
Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow guys,

Truly amazed and touch at all i have just read - thank you all for your responses, it feels amazing to be understood and not judged.

Nandm thank you - im gona wash away my tears (really - have to go bathroom) then im going to check out your link as well as the reasons for staying sober.

Thank you all for the welcome and i hope we can all stay strong together

Want this to stop
Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I came to the same realization myself just about a month ago. I have now passed the 3 week mark in sobriety and I feel like a super star! You will find so much comfort and inspiration here - these awesome people have become like family to me.

Set your mind on this task and take a leap of faith. You can do this. I am rooting for you!!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome! Please see a doctor before stopping to be safe!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hey Super Star aka prayforstrenght - well done on reaching 3weeks. Thanks for the vote of faith - im determined to not let myself down again and hopefully with a little time I'll also be able to inspire some people on here - keep up the great battle.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wantthistostop View Post
Then my character changes completely and i get nasty to the people around me - i just want to fix this.....
I can relate with you so much on this. It's almost like a complete personality split. Hopefully, with the help of people around us we can start to say goodbye to that person for good.

Welcome.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

IWTTS...thanks for your post. You are not only in the right place for the help and support you seek, but you are also helping us all by helping us keep cognizant of the moment of reality you are experiencing. Like PFS, I have 3 weeks as well, and am glad I have stopped. Some rewards are immediate, some come with adhering to a program through self-actualization and honesty. These steps and friends will absolutely change your life, if you let them.

Chin up, you are on the right track and you are not in a place that we haven't all been before. Peace and strength for you!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ive completed a week today - scared because the week has been hard and stressful. Really has been one of those week's where normally i would have just gone to the shop and bought a drink to kill/numb it.

But i didn't give in to the urge at all. But i also haven't eaten for the last two days! I truly have no appetite or desire for food!! Only been managing about 3 or 4 hours sleep a night and figure the headaches are down to those two aspects.

Just wanted to let you know though that although i may not post much... i read a lot of the posts and they have helped me through the week - powerful site. I will try to be more active guys. Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your week wantto...but please remember to take care of yourself...
I remember soups were always edible, even when I wasn't great with appetite

D
Old 09-03-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wantthistostop,
I am envious of your week - congratulations to you! Keep going, you are inspiring me. Appetite loss is a problem for me whether it's stress-related, not drinking, anything. Ensure Plus is a life-saver...350 calories plus tons of vitamins and minerals in about a six ounce bottle. Easy to choke down.
Sloane
Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations , Wanto!

This is a great place, and you have much support at your fingertips. So glad that you decided to live life sober .

hugs
chicory