Notices

Something that works

Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something that works

Hello.. I know that most of us here are constantly trying to find "things that work" when it comes to helping us keep our focus off of drugs/alcohol. I just wanted to take a minute to share with everyone something that is working great for me (besides AA, being honest with others, and committed abstinence from substance abuse).

I have noticed that one of the hardest parts is the constant thoughts that come into my mind about using/abusing. It seems that if my mind is not occupied, the default thought turns to my addiction.

Here is what I have found that is helping be immensely. For the past year, I have enrolled at my local university, and picked up a couple classes each semester. I have found that these classes are very challanging, rewarding, and occupy my thoughts toward something positive. I am currently 30 years old, and I simply take these classes to help me grow as a person. I would encourage anyone here to consider this, if you have not found something else that is working for you yet.

It is really not that expensive, in fact it is much cheaper than the money I was throwing at my drug/alcohol addiction.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a really good post! It helped to motivated me to do something I've been on the fence about. I just registered online for yoga classes at a studio only 10 minutes from my home. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My mindset default seems to be negative, too.

I have to work consciously to replace the negative thoughts with positive ones.

I'm glad you found something positive that works for you.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Pojman

I'm done with formal college, but I have a number of community based colleges near me. I'm thinking of doing just what you suggested

D