Notices

I'm back and starting over...

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back and starting over...

Ok SR I came here the first time I tried to get sober which was about 6 months ago. I was able to make 120 days on my own just visiting and posting here and reading books about sobriety and using friends and family as a support group. I relapsed at my sisters wedding. I'm still not sure why it just kind of happened. I even made it through the rehersal dinner the night before the wedding without taking a single drink.

Anyways I've gotten drunk twice in the last couple months since my intial relapse both were 2 day binges. I've come back here in order to rededicate myself to staying sober.

I feel like I'm going to try a few different things this time. I may go to AA and I think I'm just going to straight up tell people why I'm quitting this time. Before I would always just make up excuses etc. instead of just telling people I'm a horrible drunk who if he downs one will down the whole bar plus what he's got at home. All in all 2 day started and looking to break that 120 mark.

And for all those people out there just starting. Let me tell you those 120 days were the best I've had in a long time. I know now that I've "seen the light" I won't stop trying until I can achieve my ultimate goal of lasting sobriety.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

UofI2008 - It's wonderful you are back! You have a great attitude. Maybe you just needed to be more convinced.

It's possible that getting through the rehearsal dinner without drinking made you feel (subconsciously) that you could now control it, & have 'a few' at the wedding. I did that sort of thing for years & damaged myself terribly. This doesn't have to be you! You already know what needs to be done.

Your 120 days were the best you've had in a long time - never forget that, and cling to it. You're going to do it again, and this time for good. Thanks for a great post.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on the 120 days!! Sounds like you are ready to stick with this! I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence-- I think that's what we all have to remember... never give up!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

120 days is amazing!!! wow, that seems so hard to me at this moment. Great that you are back at it, I think Im gonna give it another shot in september
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

I too had false starts before I found solid recovery ...and Yes that did happen for me when I started working the AA Steps...
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Helloo and Welcome back to the life

Its nice to hear you are tryin to set a plan thats great, I myself am an AA er , so if you try it i hope you like it.

If not there are other ways to find the peace and serenity you search so keep on comin back like before. We in AA do not have the monopoly on soberity-but i sure couldnt do it without hug
Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

I hope you can find your way this time.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back UofI2008

D