Notices

Im alive

Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im alive

but it sure does not feel that way.
I have been Sober for 86 hours now and detox has damn near killed me.
I think today the tide is turning though.

I had the chills, was sweating, throwing up, cramping
seizures (I am epileptic) hallucinations, ringing ears,
my skin felt like it was burning, crawling, didn't feel like mine

I begged my husband to take me to the hospital
he did not want me to be labeled a "drunk" so we "toughed" it out
I have a killer migraine and all I want to do is drink, all I think of is drinking
I drank all day every day for 15 years so I don't know what to do now.

I am going to go to AA I just need to get myself feeling like I can leave the house.
I have not left my house in so long. It is kind of scarey thinking of doing it for this.
I hid in my house to hide what I did and now I want to leave my house and go where everyone will know I drank.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholic seizures along with epileptic seizures can be lethal and can kill you. Refusing medical treatment because of a label..

Are you kidding? Prayers sent. 3 and a half days, look forward to another 4-8 more. Best wishes and prayers to you!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi lost4now, I'm on day 23 and I am still going through blood sugar imbalances and low gaba issues. These issues are causing me pretty high anxiety. I drank beer for 20 years and it took these panic attacks to get me to wake up and quit. That first week was AWFUL. It was probably the worst week in my entire life. It has gotten a little better but that's at least better. The LAST thing I have desired is to drink again though. I have been studying neurobiology since this has happened to me and I can now see what alcohol was doing to my gaba receptors. I have also read alot about what it did to my blood sugar. Hang in there and don't give up. It gets better.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad to hear you're OK. It can be really scary - and sounds like it was. Keep keeping an eye on yourself - your body is going to need some time to keep adjusting and healing. (For me, some digestive issues lasted months and it took almost a year for some numbness and tingling in hands and feet to completely go away.)

Getting out of the house (even if it's for a little walk around the block) is a good idea. For me, small adjustments to my routine (such as just making the bed every morning), and adding other new things over time, helped to make a real "change" in my lifestyle. Sounds like venturing out to an AA meeting would be a great idea.

I do want to say one other thing (no disrespect to your other half), but if you want/need to go to the hospital, please go ... What happens in the doctor's office stays in the doctor's office. It's great to have the support of your partner, but overall you are in control of you, and you know YOU best. So, please, do this for yourself first and foremost, and your family will benefit along with it...

... One reason I'm saying that is .. (from experience) .. whenever I had decided to try to quit simply to try to make things better for family/husband reasons (which is certainly a very caring and loving reason), I would unfortunately always end up with an overwhelming urge to go back to the bottle every time there were family stresses, which happen often as part of life ..... But, when I quit for good, it was because of ME (for health reasons). So, please, quit for YOU - for health, for happiness, for sanity ... YOU are worth every minute of healthy sobriety - and your family will benefit. Take charge (in a proactive, not demanding, manner) .. and let that attitude carry you through. Your partner and family will respect that.. if not now, they'll "get it" before too long - I have absolutely no doubt about that.

I hope that made sense .. it does in my head ...

And, hey, you never know - some day you may be able to help others because of your experiences with drinking and quitting.

Be very proud of yourself. You are AWESOME.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sugarbear, i showed this to my husband
thank you for what you said
he has agreed to take me to see my Doctor
i just can't take the pain in my head any longer

switchboard, thank you! I have much i want to say
when i come home i will write you. Thank you so much
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was so happy to read your last post. I was very concerned with your well-being. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are. Detoxing can be so dangerous without Medical Intervention. Take care of yourself and hang in there! You can do this....and getting a Doctors assistance is very wise.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Good for you to see a doctor.

Drink more water. Keep us posred!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

withdrawal can kill you. Go see a doctor immediately.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with the see your doctor crowd. You have a serious illness even without the alcohol and I'm sure you take medication for it. It will probably have to be adjusted. Even if they admitted you to the hospital it's not like they can announce to the world you have a drinking problem. They are too afraid to get sued so don't worry about that! LOL Sounds bad but oh well, it's the truth!

I hope you are doing okay! Hang in there and post when you can.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you are going to the dr.

Please let us know how things turn out.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad to hear you went to the doctor! I hope you're doing well... keep us posted!!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're seeing a Dr too lost4now

D
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I'm also glad you are going to the doc. I'm glad you're here, great job on 86 hours.