What is the worst and best part of today

Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

What is the worst and best part of today

When I got home after work my husband asked me a question that he was asked in his outpatient rehab group today. The question was:

What was the worst part of today, and what was the best part of the day?

At first I didn't know how to answer this one, but after thinking for a bit I had an answer. My worst part of the day was after allowing myself to snooze too much, I was in a rush to get ready for work this morning. I then discovered that my cat had urinated on my kitchen floor (she is being treated for a urinary tract infection and refusing to use the litter box). I can't leave it like that, so I had to take extra time to clean that mess. Cat urine is horrible! Yuck.

The best part of my day was at work. I was working at an information desk as a representative and phone operator for a hospital in our area. A lady approached the counter and explained that she was part of a patient's family. The family had gathered in one of the hospital's sitting areas, but the location was incredibly cold. The air conditioning was set too low. She had told this to two employees and felt they didn't pay her a piece of mind. I informed her that I would try to get that taken care of. I called the supervisor of the maintenance department and informed him of the situation. He said that he would adjust that right away. I then walked over to the family in the sitting area, and informed the lady of who I had spoken to and the status of the situation. She seemed extremely happy to have been heard. It really made me feel good.

Does anyone else have an answer to this question that they wish to share?
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had a nice hike with my daughter and puppy, and a nice family dinner, but the best part of my day was realizing I didn't have anything to share for "the worst part of my day"!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The worst part of today is going on right now: My daughter is finishing her first middle school assignment, due tomorrow, and she's struggling. Hard. She has been left with zero to no confidence because AXH used her as his main emotional garbage can, and she can't see how smart and talented she is, even though she was at the top of her class going out of elementary school.

The best part of my day is, surprisingly, the same part: Finding myself able to keep taking deep breaths and encouraging her, even when she's saying "I hate the world" and "I hate everything" and "I'm useless" and "I can't do this" -- because she continues. And I continue. I don't get irritated and walk off like I had a tendency to do when I was married to AXH; she doesn't give up and decide to fail like she used to.

We've come a very, very long way. And that is a good thing. I keep telling her to do her best and not expect perfection. And I tell myself the same thing. We're a work in progress, as is her assignment.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Sometimes I think we all need to step back and assess our day. What makes us happy? What makes us sad? What has frustrated us? That is why I wanted to share this question with you all. I know it made me think. If I hadn't snoozed that extra twenty minutes this morning I wouldn't have felt as frustrated with my cat for urinating on the kitchen floor. She urinates on the tile floor because she is in pain, not because she wants to make me angry. How could I have prevented my frustrations? I need to adjust my mornings so I will not become frustrated.

Also, this simple frustration of my cat's accident is so minute when compared to what my "worst" part of the day one month ago. I am a work in progress. That is something I have to remember. I like the quote stated by Lillamy:

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
We've come a very, very long way. And that is a good thing. I keep telling her to do her best and not expect perfection. And I tell myself the same thing. We're a work in progress, as is her assignment.
This question also gives highlight in what has made us feel good for the day. I felt good that I made someone else feel important and heard in a stressful time of their life, and hopefully the family member will feel more comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. Now, I can further evaluate how to achieve more of these good feelings on a daily basis.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MTSlideAddict View Post
What was the worst part of today, and what was the best part of the day?
This is an excellent exercise I've been attempting to perform at the start of each day, so I don't get in the habit of falling into depression and only seeing the bad. I generally formulate my statements in the form of prayers to HP, thanking him/her/it/whatever for the positive in my life.

The "worst" part of day, which isn't so bad at all, is the fact that I have to work...but my job isn't half bad, I'm well-paid, I have fun colleagues, and it gets me out of the house.

The best part of the day is without a doubt waking up without a migraine. I've had pretty much non-stop migraines all summer and even a morning without suffering from that chronic pain is a lovely gift. There's also the fact that it's Friday, the end of the week, and that I get to go take a private tango lesson with a very cool and creative teacher tomorrow...and perhaps visit a new milonga I've discovered that takes place in a hip artist's loft.

So, all in all...thank you HP for a nice end to my tough week.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

The worst part of yesterday was waking up to my older kitten peeing on me... in bed... Apparently I didn't wake up quickly enough for her taste.

The best part of yesterday was curling up in the sofa bed in the den with two purring kittens, listening to the light rain on the window by candle light (vanilla scented), trying to decide if I wanted to sign up for the local Ballroom Dancing or Salsa or Introduction to Yoga class, and realizing that I thoroughly love my life.
(The mattress is thoroughly soaked in a very powerful enzyme cleaner that will take a couple days to dry, so I get to repeat this sofa bed experience for another few nights. :p )

Today is off to a much better start.
The best part of today was realizing that one of the guys we help at work appreciated our assistance so much that he went out and bought a little something for my group.

The worst part of today was realizing that they were donuts, and there's bagels left over from yesterday, and the ice cream social is today... And I've been trying to eat healthy and limit myself to things like Greek yogurt for breakfast.
Eh, I'll eat healthy tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TeM

The best part of my day, yesterday, was coming home and taking my daughter's puppy for a walk. It's the best part of most days. He's not very disciplined, and he tugs at the leash, but he's so carefree and fearless that I simply enjoy being with him.

The worst part was realizing that I'll have to work all weekend to meet next week's deadlines. Oh, well...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love this exercise! I do my best to ask my children the same questions when we sit down for dinner! Either the best/worst question or I ask them to tell me something they did that made them happy/sad/mad/proud/etc.

Yesterday - the worst part of my day was the 3 hr drive to get home after being out of town. The best part was having the opportunity to face my mistakes, and live out an "amends"! I was given a chance to see how detachment could apply to engineering/construction too

Today... the best part is it's Friday my home group meeting which means lunch afterwards with my Al-anon girlfriends!!! What a great way to start the weekend! And so far, there is no real worst part...thank you HP!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The worst part of the day is dealing with all the bad drivers on the way to work, especially because I am the best driver on the road haha!

The best, discovering this exercise. Great question!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Today, my worst part of the day would be when the eyeglass store stated that they will have to reorder my new glasses (first ever pair), because the lab had cut my lenses to small for the frame.

The best part was being able to enjoy my day off work at home doing whatever I chose to do.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The worst part of today was calling in on my best friend and cleaning up her home as she was in auto pilot, after spending the last 3 months at her daughter's hospital bed having to watch the hell of Pancreatic cancer do it's worst.

The best is that she is thankful the suffering and pain is over for all of them now, as her girl died early Friday morning. I will not forget that date as it was my late husbands 2nd anniversary of his death.

So far this year we have endured, floods from one end of this state to the other, earthquakes here (small) and one that destroyed rabf's home town of Christchurch NZ, my dear mum's diagnosis of cancer and death a few months later, and this lass and family suffering so much.

Cannot wait to say goodbye to 2011 and try and forget it even existed.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jadmack25: what a thoughtful friend you are. I am so sorry that you, and your best friend, are suffering such loss. Sending you both kind thoughts.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The worst part of my day (yesterday) was going to the cabin after I got off work to pick up my dog that my AH took with him when he left. I got another good look at crazy town.

The best part was arriving home (with my beloved dog) and all was peaceful and quiet there. It's been a long, long time since I have looked forward to coming home.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The worst part of my day was getting an out-of-the-blue text from XABF and feeling like the skin was being peeled from my body by not responding to it. The extra worse part of my day was realizing that there is still a part of me that wants him "to come to his senses" - even after all this time.

The best part of my day was coming home and spending an hour feeling my feelings about it. I wept, I wrote, I prayed, but I did not berate myself for how I felt. I turned it over to my HP and I did not respond to the text. I stuck by one of my tenets of recovery - when I am unsure as to what to do? I will do nothing.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The best thing today, my Alcoholic wife is spending the night with her new boyfriend so I got to look after the kids without the usual worry about her drinking or the usual gnawing at the back of my mind.

The worst thing today, realising how I have lost so much time with my children trying to keep everything together and playing the usual games we play with an alcoholic partner.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I anticipate the the best and worst moment of my day will be picking up my son from juvenile detention this evening because he is turning 18 tomorrow.

I am excited to see him and am excited about his birthday, but I must now must make some hard decisions and work hard to see the truth about myself in order to make a lot of changes. I am going to Al Anon and found this forum, but dont yet have a much needed sponsor.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Today has brought me...

My worst part of the day is trying to pry my cat away from the keyboard and monitor of the computer so I can play Zuma on Facebook. (Man, my cat has been my irritant lately.)

My best part of the day has been being able to enjoy a peaceful relaxing home. I hope tomorrow brings more of the same.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

Word Vomit...

Today was one of those days that I felt like I should of went back to bed and rolled out of the opposite side from the one I had this morning. Everything seemed to go wrong and I just couldn't catch up to anything. I felt like I just wanted to crawl into a hole.

Worst part of my day...
Work was busy. I felt like an idiot when someone asked me the directions to something and I didn't know the answer. Keep in mind I work an INFORMATION desk. My best responses were "ummm" and "hmmm," in front of the new volunteer that is learning how to direct people to locations. What an example I am. I shook that off, and continued on my day. I didn't have time to eat lunch either. Just not a good day.

I also kept focusing on the "what if's" today for some reason. What if my AH is not true in his recovery? What if we have a family and he starts drinking? What if everything. I kept trying to re-direct my thinking, but it kept coming to that. Just not a good day into thinking about the now. Blah...

The Best part of my day...
Having my husband ask me "do you want to talk about it" when I told him that I was having a bad day. It felt good to hear that someone cared about my day. Now I am enjoying the night, and going to stay up late, because I don't work tomorrow.