Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

August 24/25 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

August 24 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Somewhere along the line, in our study of the Al-Anon program, we reach a sharp realization of the growth value of honesty and candor. When this happens, one of the first things we are able to admit is that our behavior, like that of the alcoholic, has been far from sane and reasonable. When we can do this, without shame or embarrassment, we seem to break free of a hampering shell.

This is progress, but let’s not imagine that Al-Anon has done all it can for us. We have reached a plateau; there are still more heights to climb, to reach serenity and a full life.

TODAY’S REMINDER

If ever I come to the complacent conclusion that I don’t need Al-Anon any longer, let me remind myself that it can do far more than to carry me through the anguish of living with the problems of alcoholism.

I know I can make even greater strides in fulfilling myself, for Al-Anon is a philosophy, a way of life; I will never outgrow the need for it.

“Once I have overcome the problems that first brought me into this fellowship, I am confident that my continuing search for spiritual understanding will yield ever richer benefits.”

August 25 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Have I ever accomplished anything good while my emotions were churning with hysteria? Am I aware that reacting on impulse – saying the first thing that pops into my head – defeats my own purposes? I couldn’t lose by stopping to think: Easy Does It. Wouldn’t any crisis shrink to manageable size if I could wait a little while to figure out what is best to do? Unless I’m sure I’m pouring oil on troubled waters, and not on a raging fire, it might be best to do and say nothing until things calm down. Easy Does It.

TODAY’S REMINDER

It may take a bit of self-control to back away from conflict and confusion. But it’s wonderful protection for my peace of mind. Unless I can say or do something to quell the storm, I’ll only be inflicting punishment on myself. And each little battle I win – with myself – makes the next one easier. Take it easy, for Easy Does It. It will all seem much less important tomorrow!

“Quietness is a great ally, my friend. As long as I keep my poise, I will do nothing to make bad matters worse.”
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

I"m "typing in ill" today. Was violently ill in the wee hours of the morning. Not sure if it was flu or food poisoning but felt better today, just sore all over and very out-of-it groggy. Will probably do a "double-dayer" for the ODAT tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Get the rest you need, and feel better soon!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you ate at Taco Bell last night that would explain it.

Hope you get well soon and thanks for taking the time to post these, they do help. Take care for now !
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Present

thank you for the good thoughts! it wasn't taco bell...it may have been the flu since I called the dr's office and I only got sick for a few hours and was not getting sick any more after that. It may have been the lettuce I got. I had washed it thoroughly but it may have been bad enough to make me sick without giving me anything I could die from. It may have been the peanut butter but it is not a brand that had the bad stuff in it a couple years back, it is a trusted brand, and I don't feel revulsed by peanut butter today although I am not rushing in to any lettuce...