If she only knew how it affected others...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If she only knew how it affected others...

Hello. I am a 22 year old daughter of an addict mother. She has been addicted to popping pills since I was very young. My father left her when I was 14, leaving both me and my 7 year old brother in her care. After they seperated I was old enough to care for my younger brother while she was messed up, but when I turned 16 she had another child and after he was born she was back at her addiction. I had to grow up pretty quick to take care of both my brothers, and I ended up dropping out of highschool so I could make sure they both were taken care of. She did recieve treatment when I turned 17, and things were going so well. She finally relasped about two years ago, and of course denies it. I constantly worry about her health, and when she is driving around with my now 6 year old brother in her messed up state. She has gotten into plenty of car accidents, and few of them with my 6 year old brother. I worry that I will get a phone call one day at work, or where ever I am and be told that they were in a horrible accident and neither of them made it out alive. I do not know what I will do if I ever lost my mother, and especially my little brother. Hes like a son to me since I have raised him since the day he was born. My mother was put in jail tonight and was charged with a 3rd degree DUI. Thankfully she was by herself in that car, but once again here I am trying to figure out what I, myself am gonna do caring for a child. She needs to be put into treatment once again but I just dont know how to go about with doing so. I need help, I cannot sit back and watch this anymore. Something needs to be done.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry what you are going through this and how strong you are to be working and supporting yourself. And you took care of your little brothers.

What is amazing is if the brother had been in the car when she got DUI - wonder if CPS would have inquired about this situation.

Have you thought of posting this in the 'Friends and family of substance abusers'?

It appears she was not taking care of you kids from taking so many pills she could not function?

And the DUI was driving under the influence of pills?

Did they even ask how she was getting that many pills which tend to be controlled substances in US.

Seems like her insurance co. would be curious how she keeps racking up these car accidents unless she is not making a claim or it is not involving another driver.

Stopping an addiction/drinking of a loved family member is impossible. Don't even put your energy in that. Put energy in getting help for you first.

Have you been to any Alanon meetings or ACOA.

I don't feel comfortable advising on the little brother as that might involve a
social worker, CPS, I don't know and that might mean foster care - but if you
are worried about his safety then you need to do something.

Please post this in the Friends and family of substance abusers forum and find out
what those more experienced people would advise.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Who have you talked to about what you can do to protect your younger brother? Are you documenting these accidents in any way? What would happen if CPS got involved? Would you get custody?