Protect our children

Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Protect our children

I read an article in a magazine yesterday. Jackie Hance's story of recovery after losing her 3 daughters. It was heartbreaking. What a remarkable woman. I hadnt heard about the accident before reading the article, but her sister in law was driving home from a vacaton with Jackie's 3 girls and her two childern when she went up a ramp entering the wrong way on the highway killing herself, the 3 girls and one of her children. The 3 people in the other vehicle also died. After the funeral the family discovered that the sister in law was 2 times over the legal limit for A and also had marijuana in her system. This is an awful tragedy that didnt need to happen. Just sending out a message to everyone to protect our children from A anyway possible.
Article:
The Worst Has Happened: Life After the Death of My Children
Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So very powerful , I have no words..........................
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Journey To Me

That was an incredibly moving story. I can’t imagine the pain associated with such a tragic loss. Thank you for sharing that story.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I cried thru the entire article...I barely made it all the way to the end. I can't imagine the utter pain and knife in hearts of their parents. Complete devastation. I'm going to go hug my little girl.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is such a heart breaking story. The one thing that just disgusts me is the widower suing this family (his brother-in-law) for wrongful death. The parents of the three girls owned the vehicle. Haven't they lost enough??? He remains in denial of the wife's substance use. So, so sad.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember that tragic heart breaking story well.

Hopefully someday there will be an easier way to protect our children from being in the care of someone not capable or coherant enough to properly care for them - expecially if they are getting into car with a driver that is impaired.

Maybe along with having elaborate GPS devices in our cars - there needs to be a means to determine if the driver getting behind the wheel is lucid enough to drive. Perhaps even a series of computer generated tasks that needs to be completed before someone is allowed to drive. I will hold on to the belief that as we better understand addiction and all the associated behaviors, there will be better ways of dealing with it.

One can only imagine all the lives that would be saved if we could find an effective way to keep impaired drivers off the road.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a heartbreaking story. I can't even imagine.

I understood the person suing was family of the people that died in the SUV she hit, not the BIL. I still think it is a rotten thing to do.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The other family did sue. But the BIL just filed as well. He sued the state blaming the roads and now the in-laws. Rotten does not even cover it!!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm going to sound harsh. I apologize if I ruffle anyone's feathers.

I used to drive on that specific stretch of highway often, sometimes 2-3 times a week. The road by the way is not a big issue if you are SOBER.

It could have been me or my children that she killed.

I am still angry about the level of denial going on in that family. Despite the driver's blood alcohol level (I believe pot too - but I could be wrong) and evidence found at the scene they kept on saying she couldn't possibly have had a problem with alcohol/substance abuse.

Nowhere in the article did I see that mother say open your eyes to the possible ramifications of alcoholism. My children died from it - please save yours/others. (If I am mistaken please correct me).

I'm sorry she lost her children. My heart bleeds for her.