Notices

Ok, that does it.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok, that does it.

I have been sober since April 19, but my anxiety is still through the roof.

Any suggestions on how to cope with generalized anxiety?

I would GREATLY appreciate any suggestions, my fellow SR'ers.

Ugh.

:-(

Kelly
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find that taking a warm/hot bath is extremely helpful. I like to make it as relaxing as possible, soft music helps (during the bath).

Also, i am finding herbal tea (peppermint or traditional chammomile) helps me with nerves.

in fact, i must do that tonight, when i get back from the 7pm meeting. it's 12 hours away, but the thought of crawling into the bath is just divine.

I hope you find some relaxation and peace today, and will check back on you

Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Kelly, as a fellow G.A.D.er, I handle it by taking the time to sit and do nothing in particular. Just taking a little time to be aware of my monkey mind chattering away over nothing and anything puts things in perspective. My worst fears are indeed only my worse fears--little of enduring substance.

To understand the predicament of anxiety, we need only sit down quietly, draw our attention inward, and watch our thoughts as they tumble by. Our fears and concerns need not consume vast proportions, but beneath the melody of constantly changing thoughts, punctuating them like the thumping of the bass in a jazz quintet is the persistent throb of worry and care, the second rhythm of the heart.

- Bhikku Bodhi
Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Besotted

I find that vigorous exercise slows my mind and body down. It also makes for very restful sleep.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

AA steps. Not sure how, but it's working.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine was so bad that I had to give prozac a try... It's working too. I'm also working with my therapist to train the way I think when I'm feeling anxious. Have you seen any kind of councilor or doctor about this?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly - I have found the following useful: exercise; distraction (find a task that will absorb you); relaxation music CDs and incense; meditation. I have also learnt to recognise that my anxiety does not have a "cause" - it is part of me but I just try to separate myself from it.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
1. Daily Exercise

2. Reading

Deep, slow breathing will calm the mind as well. If you are into the 12-Steps, etc, there is a simple breathing exercise that can be used:
  1. Breathe in and think "G-d (or HP) in."
  2. Breathe out and think "Kelly out."
  3. Repeat until calm. :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Listen to aa speakers online. Xa speakers have several programs and many speakers to choose from.

Learning to live in the moment and completing tasks help.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I just did a search: reducing anxiety

I found a lot of information there, maybe you can, too! Ther's even a site with "100 ways to reduce anxiety"

Something may help!

I'd skip "alcohol in moderation" idea!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1) Exercise. For me a good 4-5 mile jog or even some vigorous High Intensity Intervals help. Anything that gets your heart rate close to cardio zone (140-160 beats/min). On a normal day my BP might be 130-150/70, but after a good run itll be down to 110/50. And then usually throughout the day I am in a good mood.

2) Reflective Writing. I believe a lot of what ails us comes from the roots of our memory and subconscious. For me it was my relationship with my father and some issues growing up, so I write down stuff describing how I feel and things I would like to say to certain people.

3) A hot bath. Totally relaxing the body with the heat and massaging your head/neck/temporal lobes (behind the ears) quickly releases tension and anxiety. Couple it with some ambient, atmosphere music or whatever might take you out of your body will help. Be careful as some music may rev your engine.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Kelly...I too am a fan of deep breathing exercises...slowly. My therapist told me Monday that the brain cannot physically realize stress/anxiety when we are exhaling. Of course, we can't always exhale!

I also have been using exercise (5-10 miles on my bicycle, or swimming .5 to 1 mile), reading, hot baths/whirlpools, to help.

Although I don't typically experience acute anxiety episodes, I believe that my belief system in trusting God to handle the things I can't works miracles. That's probably my best anxiety reducer...even in the face of real problems. Relax...and have Faith and Trust. And relax.

Keep with it! You are seeking the right avenues to calm yourself!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I would suggest speaking with a doctor. He/she would be best at helping you through this ... with or without meds.

Congrats on your sober time!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All of the above suggestions are great! Exercise (even just a thirty minute walk) will eventually pay off. I know there is a place for Rx, luckily I have not had to take that route (yet, hopefully never) but I call my hikes "Physical Prozac". Reading positive non-fiction (self-help, spiritual, etc.) and free hand writing three pages every morning first thing helps tremendously. There is something about spilling what's on your mind, right when you wake up, without schooling or editing your words, that is very freeing for the rest of the day---google "Morning Pages"--Lastly, Eckhart Tolles POWER OF NOW really helped me, although I know that aint for everyone :-).
Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, please tell me that you are NOT messing with caffeine at all. Right? How about foods high in sugar or glutamate? I quit on 8/4/11 and my anxiety is pretty bad too. My GABA receptors are all messed up from 20 years of beer. Caffeine is not even a consideration for me and I find that I feel better when I stay away from certain anxiety triggers like certain foods, heat, etc.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There is a lot more to being sober than not drinking.

There is a lot more to AA than going to meetings.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Caffeine

Guilty as charged - yes, I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day, at the office, 1 cup on each of Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Thanks for the tip.

Kelly
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I knew it! You HAVE got to give up the caffeine! That is pure adrenaline going through your body at all times. Adrenaline and anxiety is an awful combination.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by withdrawing View Post
I knew it! You HAVE got to give up the caffeine! That is pure adrenaline going through your body at all times. Adrenaline and anxiety is an awful combination.
I had reached my 2 coffee limit and hadn't eaten right when we had the earthquake yesterday! Full-blown shakes and hypoglycemia, I shook for an hour afterwards! :rotfxko
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Sugarbear, caffeine can surely mess with your blood sugar and insulin levels. When I used to drink caffeine after drinking alcohol the night before, my heart would pound from an adrenaline rush after eating anything. Caffeine is bad....