Notices

staying sober

Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

Thumbs up staying sober

Last week at my homegroup, I met a woman, P. We spoke before & after the meeting and I gave her my number. I suggested she call to say hello so that if she were in desperate need to talk, she'd feel more comfortable.

She called last night and we talked for 78 minutes. The end result is that we are getting together after she's off work this afternoon at 3:30. The meeting is at 7:30. Neither one of us will be alone and we will both be sober, too!

Kinda slippery, though, as she hasn't returned to sobriety yet & I:day6 will not enable drinking while we talk. Let's see what the day shall bring!

(My thumb hit something...)
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I see what my thumb hit. giggling...
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bad thumb, it's not nice to hit. Sounds like a plan, and while there may be a slippery throat, you may just be what the doctor ordered for your new friend.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

wednesday morning

oops - i just moved this - it was supposed to be a new thread. but good morning!!!!

Last edited by OceanSize; 08-24-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: mistake!
Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bad thumb, it's not nice to hit. Sounds like a plan, and while there may be a slippery throat, you may just be what the doctor ordered for your new friend.

I meant to type slope not throat in my response. I was clearing my throat at the time or else it was a strange freudian thing I don't want to think about.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

It's in the air! My thumb hit the little icon & placed it between the word(s)!

100 days today! I never thought I could stop drinking!!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

She cancelled. P realized she had "errands to do" after work. Also questioned trust between us. Then she mentioned a name & what was said at the women's meeting....so I explained how she may want to use "a person" instead of name next time or I'd one day hear "sugarbear said..." talk about trust!!

She's going to the meeting tonight.......
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

When I first got clean and got in the rooms, I met a woman there who had a good bit of clean time...15 years. She was the first to press her number into my hand and tell me if I ever needed anything to call, etc etc.

well, one day I was pretty upset and I called. She never let me get a word in edgewise! She talked adn talked and talked for 45 minutes then told me she was so glad I called, but she had to go and she looked forward to seeing me in the next meeting!

I was dumbfounded, but learned a real important truth. Even as total newbies, we can help someone, even someone who has years of recovery. They need a listening ear just like we do. We can learn from their stories and challenges in their daily lives. Sometimes people put their names on the list hoping someone will call because THEY need someone to call them. Even old timers can have a hard time picking up that phone!

The phone list works both ways. A shared car ride, an invitation to Waffle House, a quick check in phone call...seemed like they should come from the old timers. But this is a one day at a time program. Every day is a new day in recovery.

And, and this maybe finally has something to do with the thread...we all get cold feet, second thoughts, and flake out. We all still need a smile, hug and "glad to see you here", even the ones who cause you to roll your eyes every time they open their mouth.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry she canceled. Maybe some other time. Great job on 100 days. You have come a long way sugarbear. I see in in your posts daily. I see your patience growing, your heart becoming more tender. You are really growing. I know you have been an inspiration to so many. Congrats
Old 08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lpnangel View Post
Sorry she canceled. Maybe some other time. Great job on 100 days. You have come a long way sugarbear. I see in in your posts daily. I see your patience growing, your heart becoming more tender. You are really growing. I know you have been an inspiration to so many. Congrats
Let me second that!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

You are all so wonderful with kind words. Thank yoShe showed at the meeting. Not sure what her errands were.....just shows me how I was...

Larger meeting than usual, interesting!! I brought my coffee cake as there was a lot leftover.

I will be at the 7 am meeting as I've slept in the last 3 days (I miss them).

Thanks again!

PS, I wrote somewhere that AA was an organization, but it's really a fellowship....

Nite!