Disconnected

Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disconnected

This past week my s/o found a new sponsor, which I think is great considering he's really eager to complete his 12 steps. The requirements of his new sponsor is that he has to attend AA meetings twice a week. Another good thing, since his old sponsor was not putting forth; well he was not being proactive with the people that he was sponsoring.
Today was my s/o first meeting with his new sponsor and the meeting went well for him. After the meeting all the guys went out to breakfast and then attended a church, that is organized by a recovering adddict. All my s/o did was rave about how everything seemed to just fall in place and that it all felt right to him.
As I'm standing at work listening to him I am in complete and utter shock that he had such an amazing connection with this group. Then he kept telling me that, "he couldn't really describe it to me..." And that's when I felt completely disconnected. I thought to myself that I'm never going to ever fully understand the comfort and joy that this meeting and people brought to him.
I am truly happy for him because my s/o stresses to me all the time that he has no desire to go back to the life that he was living.
I don't want to become obsessed with his recovery, but I feel like there is this giant gap between us, even though he tries his best to always keep me informed, I still feel like somethings almost missing...
I try to turn things around and think to myself that he's never going to see things my way either other wise he wouldn't be in recovery.
I think I might be confused or maybe I'm just being to analytical about it. Either way, I always want the best for him and will support him no matter what because he's helped me heal in ways that I thought were always going to be open.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beckalee43 View Post
I thought to myself that I'm never going to ever fully understand the comfort and joy that this meeting and people brought to him.
Your odds increase if you look for a face to face support group, too
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Beckalee~

What's best for recovering addicts is that we stay out of their recovery program - that we let them work their own recoveries in their own time while we work on setting boundaries and not enabling their addiction.

There is a support program for Families and Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics. It's called Al-anon. Consider attending a meeting or two, getting your own sponsor and working your own steps. This will provide you with great insight on how to support your s/o in a healthy way and help you to keep the focus on your own growth and emotional development.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can be disconnected from his recovery but still supportive.