Notices

First Post - Saying Hi

Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post - Saying Hi

I have been lurking around here for a little bit. Typically the day after a binge when feeling low (I typically drink once a week but every time to excess)

I keep promising myself that I will give up when I feel this way but then a couple of days later convince myself either that its not a problem or that I will just drink less.

So I think I am really just using this post as a mechanism to help remind myself of how I have promised myself to give up drinking

Thanks for your time
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, thanks for posting. So are you going to give up drinking? If so, when and how? I read the why--(I typically drink once a week but every time to excess). Look forward to future postings.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

timetotry - welcome to SR. This place helped me get sober & stay that way. I never felt alone once I came here. I didn't have anyone else in my life who got what I was going through.

I wish I'd questioned my drinking many years ago - like you are. I could have saved myself from so much destruction and misery. I kept trying to manage it, but after awhile my life spun out of control. This never has to happen to you. Hope you'll keep posting.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome timetotry1 - It's great that you're being honest with yourself about your drinking. I used to make those promises, too, and find myself off to the liquor store later in the day.

I think we've all the fantasy that somehow we could manage it, become a social drinker, or whatever, and it just doesn't work. As they say, one is too many, and 1000 is never enough.

Keep reading and posting - there's lot of support here!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR
Old 08-21-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcome and kind words.

Re-reading my post it was not explicit. My plan is to make the last drink I had in the early hours of this morning the final one ever.

I have been sat down all day thinking about my drinking and how I need to stop. I am actually very upset with myself as I did not drink at all until I went to university - mainly because my father had what I saw as a problem with Alcohol .
Since then I have drunk to excess at least once a week (15 years or so) .

Most of my drinking is done with work colleagues , there is a very strong drink culture after work. So I am planning for the first month to stop going out with work completely.
After that I plan to go out and just have non-alcoholic drinks.

I am not worried about pressure from the people at work (as a number of them stick to soft drinks) more that I do not trust myself at the moment in a pub.

Thanks for the words
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I think it's great that you've realized you need to stop drinking. Taking alcohol out of the equation is always a good idea.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR! I wish you the best in your efforts to remain sober. You have made a wise decision for your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR timetotry

D
Old 08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a clear plan. GREAT!

(oh, and welcome to SR, too )
Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Thanks for the reminder!
Wow, before I drank daily I used to just get smashed only every Friday night. Everything changes. You can quit!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AMD

It took a few days to feel better, but at 10 days now I feel great. Maybe I did drink too much for too long bk being sober feels stop different and new. Fresh and alert, happy early mornings and sleeping good at night. You should definitely give it a try. Nothing to lose being sober, just life to gain. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AMD

So different, not "stop." Bad phone typing.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
part time member

Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all, so many responses.

Yesterday was a mini success for me. I am away with work , staying at a hotel in a different country. This is normally a time when we would all go out on the beer/shorts quite heavily.

Managed to successfully go out for dinner without drinking alcohol , although I did excuse myself after dinner when they went out to hit the bars . I just went back to my room , watched football , and ordered some smoothies

Got a few inquisitive looks from colleagues but nothing worse.

Its a small success, but has given my confidence a boost. Plus I feel good this morning (compared to if had gone out).

Cheers
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I bet work will improve for you! Keep us posted!

Just for today, don't drink!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am also new to SR and can honestly say that the support received is already making a difference on how I look at the long challenge ahead.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm a newbie, and have found that this place has been very helpful so far. It's great to know that you can come here and find others who understand what you're going through.

Binging has always been my problem with alcohol. I just recently slipped on a 6 month bender after a year and a half of sobriety. Hate that it happened, but I just look at it as final proof that I just can't be a social drinker, no matter how much I wish I could.

Good luck, you can do it. I'm taking it one day at a time.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Plus I feel good this morning (compared to if had gone out).

THis alone is enough to keep me sober. Just waking up not sick as hell and hating myself is reward enough for staying sober.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am using this as a way to log my thoughts , hope that is OK. Probably boring for everyone else.

I am in an airport lounge , waiting for a long-haul flight , with everyone around me drinking the free booze. Am finding it quite difficult as my head is telling me I deserve a drink after a week abroad working hard.

I know this is false logic so am not giving into the urge to drink alcohol. Opting for a fruit juice, its not quite the same but find is helping.

Only 2 hours until the flight boards.