Notices

Four days forward, one day back

Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Four days forward, one day back

Well, last week I made it four days sober for the first time in years. By the end of the fourth day I felt like an invisible fog was lifting. Like one that I didn't even know was there. That day was Friday and by the very end of it I made the unbright choice to destress with margaritas.
I woke up yesterday morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck! I haven't felt hungover in years! I still feel like ****. Have any of you gone through this? Have I been in a constant state of hangover for so long that I didn't know how bad I felt?
What I do know is that I really liked how I felt Friday before I opened the bottle and for once I want to make it to four days again. Previously I was fighting like crazy to get through 1 or 2 days. OK. I am rambling.......

Carla
Old 08-21-2011, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it Carla77. Every time I fell off the wagon, my withdraws and hangovers got worse and worse. Some outside support is always good. Its not going to be easy. If it was, I would not have relapsed so many times. Be good to yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Try, try again.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Carla! I agree with lpnangel - the impact drinking has on us gets worse with time. You don't have to put yourself through this rollercoaster ride anymore, though. You can get off it and stay off - and have a whole new life.

Glad you came here to talk about what happened. We all understand and can relate to what you're going through like no one else can. Keep going, Carla - you got this
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes they do get worse--and I think you are dead on about being in a constant state of "hangover", you just gave yourself some contrast and you can see how you had "adjusted" to your lifestyle! That's exactly how I remember it....the good news is--stop again and see how good you feel in weeks, then months, etc. You may wonder what you ever saw in the stuff.

It is interetesting now, being in better shape and not drinking...I now notice when I am slightly "off"....and before, it would've blended in with my normal lack of well being. Wonder how many people miss the early signs of major illness signs this way? I digress.

Sorry you feel so bad, but happy you got the gift of contrast! Best of luck to you....
Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Carla :day6

Sorry you're not feeling well (I can certainly relate to that). Even when I didn't have a bad hangover, I would often feel anxious and depressed, like I was just trying to get through the day until I could justify a drink.

It was scary at first to think about getting sober (it was hard to go a day without drinking), but I took it one day at a time and leaned on everyone here for support. I can't tell you how much I love being sober today.

Glad you're here!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi all! Thanks for the responses! It is my time of the day where I would start drinking and I am really wanting to give in. I literally just shut myself in my office to get away from the kids and take a deep breath! Ugh! Thanks for the support!

WFL: I really am shocked at how different I felt Friday and how horrible I have felt all weekend. It was a real eye opener!

Carla
Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Carla

D
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Carla,

I'm glad you're back. You can learn healthy ways to deal with stress. And, I know from my experience, that the affects of drinking seem to get worse and worse as time goes by.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are restarting your sobriety....
Old 08-21-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! What are you going to do differently this time to make it past 4 days?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

back to SR.

I have relapses in my history too. We recover together...one day at a time...you never have to go back.