Notices

Vegas!!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vegas!!

I just found out that I have to go to a convention in Vegas for 4 days with my boss. For a guy that is trying to quit drinking, this is not going to be easy. My boss is used to the fun/party guy. Not drinking for 4 days is going to look very odd to him. The other hard part is it is all free. Ouch
Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ouch, but doable. I live in Nevada and I guarantee there is nothing in the air here that can make you take a drink if you choose not to. As far as you looking odd to your boss, let that be on him. You don't control his thoughts. If you decide to gamble (we call it gaming here), any money you might lose goes to support schools, etc., so concider it an ultruistic investment. And no "free" drink percs, my friend.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Tell boss you want a clear mind during the trip, he may respect you more...
Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

People often go on the wagon as we call it and not all are alchololics just sensible. I would hope that he would appreciate and understand that
Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many excuses you can give if you'd rather not answer the big questions. A preemptive "Doctor put me on antibiotics for a rotten flu" is a great line to use if you're going on a trip somewhere with boozers. That excuse also works when the job is done and everyone is heading out "for a few drinks". Can just say you're feeling under the weather and would rather catch some rest. While they are out tearing up their livers you can be relaxing in the hotel room watching Pay Per View. Lots o great movies out right now to keep you occupied.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Binderdonedat (BTW that is tough to type). Those sounds like solid ideas. I found out we have an option of bringing our wives (just pay airfare) so I am trying to work that out and she can help me stay on the straight and narrow as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first business trip I had to take after quitting was to Vegas. That was about 2.5 months in.

I told one important supplier and one of my employees what was up, drank coke, and went to bed fairly early every night. I don't gamble either so that helped keep me away from the alcohol.

But it was pretty easy. I'd tell your boss why you're not partying and let him go have fun.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Drunk poker players are as good as cash machines! Non-drinking players are dangerous! Some call 'em "Rocks".

Enjoy Vegas!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by binderdonedat View Post
Many excuses you can give if you'd rather not answer the big questions. A preemptive "Doctor put me on antibiotics for a rotten flu" is a great line to use if you're going on a trip somewhere with boozers. That excuse also works when the job is done and everyone is heading out "for a few drinks". Can just say you're feeling under the weather and would rather catch some rest. While they are out tearing up their livers you can be relaxing in the hotel room watching Pay Per View. Lots o great movies out right now to keep you occupied.
Vegas has TONS of stuff to do that don't require drinking, and you don't have to stay in the room.

Bellagio fountain shows
Paris/ Eiffel Tower (if it's open)
Stratosphere (the adrenalin of going on those rides will TROUNCE whatever buzz your cohorts get off of liquor)
Mandalay Bay? has a pool that looks like a beach
Venetian has this huge complex beneath it that looks like the canals of Venice
Rio has my favorite (and many others' favorite) buffet. There are stations in the buffet with food from different countries.
There is a Coke shop on the Strip that sells Coke products from all over the world. Some are good, many are gross, but it's worth the $ for the entertainment value of it.
Wynn (or one of the adjacent hotels) has a high-end car dealership inside... Ferrari or Maserati, maybe?

I know I'm forgetting tons of stuff... but Vegas can definitely be done sober.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rookie

Other non-drinking activities:

- If you can, get out to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Hike around. It's beautiful.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So true on things to do and the Red Rock area is beautiful as is the Mount Charleston area. I went to vegas numerous times on business, but alas, I was rarely sober.