Notices

Why is it so hard to remember...

Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jko

Why is it so hard to remember...

That I am not in charge? That my brilliant ideas and behavior run on my self will dont work so well!! I am just a little over the 6 month mark and so clearly realize that the outrageous thinking and rational is still there, though the alcohol isnt!! I am just thankful that I have a program to work, a tool box to refer to and support of other sober alcoholics!!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((JKO))) - welcome to SR!! I know, for me, it took a while before my thinking really started to change. It started off with being aware of my thoughts/actions, and then learning how to get through and past them.

SR has been a big help, in that area. I think most of us go through this. Don't know about you, but I wanted to be RECOVERED instantly..patience is not something I'm real good at, but recovery has helped me get better

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear ya!!!!

I love the, "maybe this one last time" thought! NOT! I am such an alcoholic I just can't even believe that I even care to drink. Why do I even think about it? Oh the insanity of it all!!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jko

I am glad to hear I'm not alone on the matter... I was telling my husband last night that I don't understand why I chose not to use my toolbox when I have an issue.. But instead overthink, over react and try to control everything... I like how u said u wanted to be recovered instantly! That sums it up for me... And I love, I'm not where I want to be but at least I am not where I was... That reminded me that this is a life long process... Gotta hang up that need for instant gratification!!! Thanks so much for helping me put things in perspective!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jko - Thanks so much for sharing those valuable thoughts. When we can compare notes like this it really helps.

It took me a lifetime to admit I wasn't in charge, and that willpower could not be used to manage my drinking. It took dangerous black-outs to show me anything could happen once I took that first drink. Wish I'd had that realization before I crashed & burned.

Glad to see you are doing some soul searching and figuring this thing out. You're doing great.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I don't use my toolbox because I'm tired of my sponser being right.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR jko

D
Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

30 days. That's what it takes to break an old habit. My thing is that I have learned many bad habits.

Give time time! You're sober today!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I relied on myself a long time and I really didn't do a very good job of taking care of myself. I don't think that tendancy will ever go away though. I have to surrender everything every morning to God and trust that he will take care of it better then I ever could.