Notices

Still too scared to drink :)

Old 08-19-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Still too scared to drink :)

Hey, just a quick post before heading to the gym. Since last dreaded Monday ending up in hospital I have absolutely no desire to drink even alcohol TV commericials make me sick to my stomach. My depression is not as bad. I still wake up a few times during the night but thats normal for me bc I am an insomniac but still sleeping better than when I did while drinking.

Only thing I am feeling is being tired and stomach discomfort but I have IBS and the alcohol masked it. I do have some anxiety after reading about all the withdrawal symptoms keep checking myself to see if I am shaking. I was checking myself for the shakes while lifting weights in the gym well of course I would be shaking duh lol. I am the biggest hypochondriac but now I just never ever want to get to the point of which I cant stop on my own. I have a friend around my age who is at that point he told me he wakes up nauseous in the morning, bad anxiety and shakes before he drinks and he cant stop by himself.

Today is Friday, I am getting a ton of books and some DVDs from library. Still have to job and apt hunt. I have to keep myself occupied because the loneliness can get to me. I dont want to think its okay to have a few. I want to see my therapist on Mon. tell her I didnt drink.

Well, off to the gym!!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Inner,

Something I learned in rehab - Origins of relapse: you lose contact with the pain of just how bad it was being addicted. Hold on to the pain - remember the pain - everyday. Prempt cravngs by feeling/remembering the pain as soon as you awake.

To combat: Enrich your environment. See the richness around you. Vary your routines. Avoid excessive passive entertainment. Foster anticipation.

Best Wishes,
Charon
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Innerchild,

You really sound like you're on the right track. That's so funny about the weights. At one time, I did think that since my withdrawals were not as bad as other, maybe I didn't have a problem. Now, I just don't even question it. Sounds like you're there too.

Varying the routines was one of the most important things that I did this time around. I can't say enough about how this helped me handle cravings.

You're doing a great job! Keep posting.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update. So glad you're able to identify that alcohol is a poison for you and that you're developing your abilities to overcome and move forward. Very inspiring