Notices

Not Feeling So Good.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not Feeling So Good.

2 months (64 days) sober now, and feel like I'm losing my mind. First I was thinking that I have P.A.W.S. Then I go speak with a mental health guy, and he says that It seems like I've had an underlining anxiety problem that caused me to drink. He also said I should be though with withdraws and not be having anxiety. I feel foggy, dizzy, body numbness, short of breath(at times), and just bad anxiety and panic attacks.

Can anyone help me out here? I've wanted to go get seen but have no insurance. I don't wanna get billed if there just gonna tell me I have anxiety.

Has anyone else dealt with feeling like this and does it go away with time?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I have and you can deal with these feelings too.

I had anxiety long before I began drinking, so when I stopped drinking the anxiety was still there. If your anxiety was there before you began to drink, I don't think it will just disappear when you stop drinking, but it will improve.

It's important to remember that anxiety is just a feeling. It doesn't control you. One thing that is very simple, but helpful is to remember to breathe. When you are having an anxiety attack your breathing will become shallow and that in turn, makes the anxiety worse. So, stop and take several deep breaths and it will start to help.

There are a lot of really helpful books on the market. One of the best, I think is 'Mind Over Mood' by Dr. Greenberger and it's a workbook.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anxiety is one of the many reasons (and non-reasons) I drank and it only built up inside me when I was in the bottle. After suffering from it for years, seeing doctors and shrinks, and on meds, this time in sobriety it seems to have given up. I think for me, not drinking and obssesing on it, proper diet and exercise and meditation has helped. If you do get it checked out hopefully they can help and not just tell you what you already know. May you find peace.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anna did you ever have anxiety that made you feel trapped? Like today I'm so dizzy and my breathing feels like that from time to time. I've panicked twice today. I always wanna rush out to the E.R. But it's weird I can usually calm myself, but it seems harder right now.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

Ive had anxiety since I was 15 yrs old diagnosed with Panic Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder and the mental health care professional seems to be right bc I know for myself alcohol can mask the anxiety. I know when I drank my heart stopped racing, I could leave the house without thinking I was about to die.

All your symptoms are classic signs for anxiety. As Anna said they are just feelings, they will pass they cant hurt you. Are you in therapy? It would helpful to see one to help control it. The best is a Cognitive Behaviorial Therapist bc they specialize in the treatment of anxiety. At one point I was housebound my therapist helped get me out the house. I just loved here then I had to move so I am now recently seeing a new therapist. If you dont have insurance or cant afford one you can find therapists at a sliding scale fee or affiliated with your local hospital but they could help treat it. Alcohol makes it worse and its awesome you are now sober but it wont stop the underlying issues. Hope you get some relief I know it sucks but it wont hurt you.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pranamaya and Gary Kraftsow have just released 2 DVDs one on Anxiety and one on depression.
Gary is very highly regarded, and I have his excellent shoulder and back DVD's , I havent checked these out yet but plan to get them.
I think they would be invaluable for any recovering addict who deals with these issues.

Viniyoga Therapy for Anxiety with Gary Kraftsow on DVD from Pranamaya, Inc.
Viniyoga Therapy for Depression with Gary Kraftsow on DVD from Pranamaya, Inc.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also a very good book called by Stephen Elliot I think .

Coherent Breathing for Autonomic Nervous System Balance, Health, & Well Being

Amazon.com: The New Science of Breath - 2nd Edition (9780978639907): Stephen B. Elliott, Dolores V. Edmonson: Books
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

When Panic Attacks Dr. David Burns. I have read to tons of books on anxiety and depression. He is a medical doctor who doesnt shove meds down your throat and he explains anxiety and its just a really awesome book. It helps me a lot actually I am referring back to it today. He also wrote a book on depression. I have it think its called "Feeling Good" but he is awesome I wish I had the money to work with him. You can look for books second hand of amazon too.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I'm trying to get this worked out. I know I need to realize that it won't hurt me and that I'm stronger than it. I started reading a book last night called " At Last a Life." by Paul David. It's really good and helpful. I gotta take it one day at a time.