Notices

Taking the step forward

Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking the step forward

I have to admit I know I have been drinking too much for too long now. It seems that it is all I think about when the weekend comes around. On occasion I would make sure I had no plans on a Saturday so I could just drink and not worry about going anywhere. I just do not want alcohol controlling my behavior anymore like this. I have been lurking for a month or so. I guess I needed to read some of the realities behind what it takes to actually admit that I cannot hide behind the fact that I have a problem, no matter how bad it might be.

I quit drinking this last Sunday night. My blood pressure has been up since yesterday. I just wanted to say that I am taking my first step forward and coming out to my doctor that I want to make some life changes. I have a doc appt in an hour and going to tell him that I have been abusing alcohol and I am concerned for my health/bp and so on. I feel I am in a positive place. Everyone's stories on here have given me some courage to take this step.

Before I felt like I wanted to hide it from the doctor, pretend nothing was wrong and it would get better if I just cut down, which would never happen when the weekend rolled back around.

Something has changed. I feel less afraid to come clean. I hope I am ready! Thanks for the support I know it is out there!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you 2bstrong

I really encourage you to be totally honest with your Dr - I think seeing a Dr is a great first step

welcome to SR!

D
Old 08-17-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Sounds like you are headed down the path of recovery, good for you
Old 08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! Glad you're going to your dr. and that you are here. Sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I came right out with it to the doc. Even though my bp was really high he did not want me on any meds. He gave me paperwork for bloodtests and wants me back in a month and to record my bp a few times a week until the next appt to see how I am without alcohol in my system. On to sobriety for the next 30 days and beyond. I am really excited to see how things might get better in that time.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Things will get better with time. If you really have the desire to quit, you're taking steps in the right direction.

Congratulations!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Good for you for deciding to live a sober life.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You can do this!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Beating this demon for GOOD

good for you!!! And very best of luck, keep posting, we are all in this together and this is a great group!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome 2bstrong - It takes courage to admit we have a problem, so you should feel really good about coming here and also talking to your doctor.

Lots of support here - (24/7)! You've begun a great journey!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

2bstrong - It's great to have you here, & I'm glad you saw your doctor. My blood pressure spiked when I first quit too.

I remember using alcohol to enhance a good time - then it became my good time! I isolated like you were starting to do & was content to just stay home & focus on drinking. That is not a life. I'm glad you want something better for yourself, & you have a great attitude.

I felt so relieved when I admitted my life was spiraling out of control. I had tried to hide it for so many years, and it was no longer possible to keep a lid on things. You will feel a little better each day as you begin to heal. Congratulations for taking this huge step.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congrats 2bstrong & welcome!

i too would plan my saturdays at home & just think about when i could start drinking (which i started doing at 9 or 10am)

i feel so much better to have my life back, my family time back, plain ole me back
Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Update on my recovery

a

Last edited by 2bstrong; 02-02-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Back at it again - Feeling positive this time

a

Last edited by 2bstrong; 02-02-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: sorry again