Notices

New here, may need help...

Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, may need help...

Hello everyone,

I'm a 35 year-old guy, and I've been drinking alcohol since probably I was 16. I don't consider it having become a problem, though, until maybe the last 6 years. I'm going to try to not be too long winded here...

I can't really pin down my history that well at all, except for to say that definitely for the last year, I've been drinking 5-6 beers a night on average with sometimes reaching 9-10, or up to a half of a fifth of hard stuff. For years before that, I probably drank almost every day if not every day, but probably not quite as much as I have been lately. I don't know how many drinks are in a fifth, but I'd say my nightly average is 1/3rd of a bottle daily. (does anyone know how many "drinks" in a 750 mL bottle?)

Last Sunday, I drank a full 6 pack, and woke up for work not remembering how I got to bed... that made me freak out, and decide to stop. The beer I was drinking was strong, 8% I think or near that.

So, my last drink was roughly 60 hours ago. The first day of abstinence, the cravings were ridiculous but I got through them by taking a xanax and forcing myself not to go to the store. The 2nd day, I had a work party involving alcohol and I was successful in not having a single drink, even though it was being pushed on me. My anxiety has continued to rise, it seems, and I haven't slept more than a few hours over the past couple of days.

I am a closet alcoholic, so I don't want to go to the doctor. My dad is a doctor, and I know that he would find out if I did. Plus, my symptoms rank in the mild to moderate stage I believe, and don't require medical help. But I want to stop! I'm scared to death.

I had to miss work today due to 2 days of insomnia and looking like a zombie... Pretty minor, I know, but it's serious for my future at that job, I can't be missing work for this.

I am almost certain I won't sleep tonight as well. I tried taking xanax last night to put me to sleep, but it had absolutely no effect and I tossed and turned.

I am seriously considering going to the store for a 22-ounce beer, to drink an hour before bedtime, just to sleep so I don't miss work. Is this a recipe for disaster?

Thanks, and sorry for being long-winded. I know these are very minor withdrawal symptoms so I appreciate your patience with someone such as me.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I do not have any real advice to provide except that in my opinion drinking any alcohol when one is attempting to quit is not a wise choice and setting oneself up for failure. But that is just an opinion.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am seriously considering going to the store for a 22-ounce beer, to drink an hour before bedtime, just to sleep so I don't miss work. Is this a recipe for disaster?

In my opinion, yes. With your history of drinking do you really think you will stop at, what, a little less than two beers?

As long as you have been sober for 60 hours, keep at it. I don't think it's possible to die from a lack of sleep.

BTW, welcome to SR!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Deerpark - glad you're here! Insomnia is pretty expected for a few days, maybe a week...... - our brains have to readjust to the lack of alcohol. It's temporary, so hang in there.

It's great that you made it through the first couple of days (those are the worst, in my experience). I wouldn't recommend putting more alcohol into your system. It will prolong the withdrawals. If it were me, I'd get help with the insomnia before I turned to drinking again.

Keep posting and reading - there's lot of support here!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Deerpark

welcome

I understand your reasons for not wanting to see a Dr but it still remains the best option for those wanting to quit in my opinion, and I always recommend it.

It's a far better option IMO than self medicating yourself with beer and xanax - I think you make it well near impossible to get yourself out of the cycle that way.

You may well be the exception, but in my experience closet drinkers are never as secret as they think they are anyway...

Your well being needs to be paramount here - there will always be factors like reputation, pride and work, but nothing is more important than our well-being.

I hope you'll think more about seeking some professional medical supervision and advice

D