Notices

Need Strength Today

Old 08-17-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Strength Today

Hi Everyone! Well today is day six of sobriety and I feel great! I'm a bit concerned about tonight, because my wife and I are going to a concert (purchased the tickets months ago) where they allow people to bring in coolers of beer/wine/food etc - everyone will be partying. I need to be strong in situations like this and NOT drink! Words of encouragement are greatly appreciated! Take care everybody!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I hope you have a good time without the booze.

Who's in charge of packing the cooler you're bringing? Who's in charge of the hand that's at the end of your arm and can reach your mouth?

To put it in perspective, you can be powerless over alcohol because of the chain reaction it can cause , but you are not powerless to prevent that drink from reaching your lips in the first place. Don't light the fuse.

Perspective, my man.

Have a great time, enjoy the music and don't forget to tell us about your evening!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are that worried, you could just eat the tickets. What's more important your sobriety, or a few bucks?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You can pack a beautiful picnic, nice bread, some choice fillings...cheeses, and some fruit drinks or sodas...or flavored tea, veggies, dip, and a dessert for two. Not everyone will be partying, that's a given. I saw Pink Floyd while sober years ago...(yes, I was sober a few years about 19 years ago).
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FHB1, you have made an excellent decision to stop drinking.

It is good for you and it is good for your wife. That decision, if you follow through, will save you much heartache.

You are STRONG and you have SO much to offer the world. And you know that you do it better sober. Stay sober for today.

All the best,

spryte
Old 08-17-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Concerts don't cause drinking, people do. Enjoy the event with awareness and without preconceived notions. I'm going to an all day outdoor concert in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas I look forward to actually being present instead of being in the disassociation of the bottle. And no fear of a DUI, coming or going. Its all good.

"Everything in your life is a vechicle for your transformation. Use it!" Ram Dass
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody! I'm on my way to the store to get food for a gourmet picnic. No drinking for me. I'm not going to give in - I want to be a sober person I just needed to vent.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes, a picnic with some scrummy things sounds like a great idea. Just think what a great evening you will have and a sober one. Enjoy yourself and remember you can do it
Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wellwisher View Post
Who's in charge of packing the cooler you're bringing? Who's in charge of the hand that's at the end of your arm and can reach your mouth?

I LOVE THIS! Awesome. I need to burn that into my brain.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Me too SindyLuhu!!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

How does your wife feel about you wanting to quit maybe if you had a little chat with her she would understand and just pack non alc.items .I know I;m already wondering how I;m going to get through this weekend my worst day is Sunday ,but i keep telling myself one day at a time,
Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My wife is fine with that. She can take it or leave it when it comes to alcohol - not like me. In fact, I have noticed that since I stopped drinking, so has she, but she hasn't even realized that she hasn't had a drink in six days, where as I have been obsessed with it. I guess that's the difference between an alcoholic and a non-alcoholic.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, I just re-read my original post and I sound like a big baby There are al lot of people here who are a lot worse off than I am. Of course I can go to a concert and not drink! Sorry to bother you all with my nonsense.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not nonsense and you're not a baby.

I would not have gone to a concert on my day 6...so I understand what a big deal it can be.

You seem to have a plan and support worked out tho - enjoy your sober concert and your picnic FHB

D
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!! This forum has been helping me a lot. I was having a rough time earlier today, stressing about how to attend a concert sober, but it has passed and I'm ready to tackle the challenge! Thanks for being there! I really appreciate it.