Finally...!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally...!

It’s been two months or so since I last heard from my RA friend/coworker in any fashion. Thanks to the words of support from SR, I have been working hard not to take his silence personally. Today there was a small crisis at the office and one of our coworkers asked me to contact RAF because he was part of the original project from two years ago. In the old days, this guy would have contacted RAF himself because they were close (and drinking) buddies, but he’s apparently decided he wants nothing more to do with him now.

So I sent RAF an email, a text, and left a voice mail, requesting that he please respond in any manner that he was comfortable. That "taking his silence personally" thing was surfacing again; I was doubtful that he'd reply to me. But about an hour later, RAF called me back! We only talked for a few minutes, he offered his suggestions for the crisis, and I asked him how he was doing; he said “great.” and as we rung off, he said “I’ll talk to you soon.” He sounded like himself during the conversation and I’m glad he finally reconnected with me. I know he still has a long way to go with his recovery, and the whole resignation thing still has to be resolved, and I also know that the outcome is not my problem and that I still cannot expect anything from him right now; "I'll talk to you soon" is just words and maybe I won’t hear from him again for another two months. But even just talking to him for a few minutes helped give me a little encouragement about his recovery. And again, I thank all of you here for listening to me babble.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

and a thank you!

I am also going to keep reading here, I know there is more I can learn, tho I have learned so much already. Besides a better understanding of my own situation and reactions to it, your stories have also helped me to see what my friend may have been putting his wife through; he went awol on us when she told him she was leaving him because he immediately got himself stone drunk for several days. At the time, I didn't understand why she didn't call us to say he wasn't coming in to work---but now I do.

Sending strength to all of you who are dealing with the A's in your life!