Breakthrough

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Breakthrough

I finally made it to Step 3, decided to let go of my control, or my efforts to control my boyfriend's addiction, and gave it to my Higher Power. We had a rough couple of days, but I have been detaching and reacting in much healthier manners. I'm really proud if myself.

Well, after my boyfriend took a shower tonight, he came into the living room, sat down next to me and asked if we could talk. I was shocked to say the least-he has never come to me first, I've always pushed him into talking about his feelings. It may seem like a small step to some people, but to me, this was huge. I let go and he came TO ME on his own, and asked for help. He even apologized and thanked me for being there for him (2 things that rarely happen).

I'm not going to have any expectations because of this breakthrough, but it does give me hope that he wants to get better. His actions tonight meant a lot to me and showed some effort on his part, which is more than he's done before. I guess only time will tell if he's really serious, but regardless of what happens, I am proud of the changes I am making.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's so great! And yes.....we do understand those "break throughs" when we stop pushing!

Sometimes we push so much trying to make things happen the way we want them to happen that it causes the exact opposite of what we were trying to accomplish. When we let go and Let God, things tend to happen in a more natural way. It's a strange phenomenon.

Keep working on you artist83! It may not change your bf but I think you may like the changes you see taking place in your own life.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((artist))

The peace and acceptance shows in your post ~ prayers for both you & your BF - for continued growth and recovery!

Never forget you both are worthy of respect, dignity and healthy love!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is great news. Good for you, for taking care of you! Don't stop.

Keep your expectations non-existent and who knows, you may be surprised!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I woke up this morning with an entirely new outlook on life. Enough of the "what if's" and "should's", and especially the "why's?". It's all just to exhausting. I'm going to live in the present from here on out, focus on today. It's a much easier way of living.

Thanks for all of your ongoing support!

Artist83
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Artist,

I am so happy for you that you have found some peace. The why's. what if's, etc. get sooo tiring at times!

You and your boyfriend are in my prayers
Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Stillhere! We still have some bad days, but the good ones are happening much more than before. I'm still seeing improvement in him, and that's good enough for me right now.

Have a great day!