Notices

New to SR Forums

Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to SR Forums

My name is Brian and I'm from Evanston Illinois. I have been an addict/alcoholic for most of my life. I'm 41.

I recently was in rehab for Benzo/Opiate abuse. I was having problems at work but didn't stop. I was let go and began drinking. This lead to disastrous results because the girl I loved worried for me because I was out of touch. I had done this before and she worried about my safety. I came up with a stupid excuse which was a lie. It was obvious.

She got a hold of my sponsor whom was unaware of my (benzo/opiate abuse) and cut ties completely with me.

It's been an absolutely devastating time for me. Loss of job (and those relationships) and the girl I loved. It's been a "bottom" of horrific consequences.

I'm back in the rooms. Seeing an addiction counselor. As soon as she ended it I went to rehab for 4 months in Tennessee. Honestly, my emotional condition is still terrible. I've lost interest in everytthing and just want to sleep. I don't eat. I'm seeing a psychiatrist on Wed. for depression. I'm on Paxil but I think the events of the last 6 months have permanently damaged me.

I'm hoping that sobriety will give me the gifts I see in others. That is the only hope I have right now. I'm desperate to feel better but know I can't use. I'll be dead. Simple. Thnaks for letting me share.

Brian
Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again and welcome to newcomers forum Brian
I really hope you'll see good results soon from all the good things you're doing for yourself.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Brian - Sorry to hear this had been such a difficult time for you. I'm sure it's hard not to dwell in the past, but there is every reason to hope that the future will be better. Remember, we only have to get through it one day at a time.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. I hope your psychiatrist can help - it sometimes takes a few tries to get the right anti-depressant. Stick around and keep posting - a lot of people here know what it's like to be at rock bottom.
:ghug3
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR. Glad you are here
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Brian

You will get much feedback from many who are, and have encountered
what your going through. Glad you made it here. Most here know rock bottom.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Brian. Bottom is a helluva rotten place, but the upside is it can only get better from here on in amigo. This place rocks so you've found a great spot to hang your hat

Keep posting and keep coming back.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

Healing is possible, with hard work and determination.

Best wishes
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome Brian, glad you are here.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. It is such a dark time in my life. Just trying to hang on. Don't want to hurt myself but the amount of loss in my life has been staggering.

Brian
Old 08-16-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry that your addiction has caused you so much pain.

There is hope that you can find peace in your life. I'm glad you're seeing a psychiatrist and that you are on meds for depression.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Brian. I'm so sorry for all that you've been going through. You probably feel old & beaten up, but you are still so young. You can turn this whole thing around and have a wonderful life.

We can't accomplish anything when we're numb & foggy. With a clear head, and your health returning, there's nothing you can't do. The sun will shine in your life again. Please keep talking to us.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

I'm glad you are being pro active about staying clean and sober..
Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am. I can't let this part of my life go without some sort of turning point. I was using Xanax and Vicodin. High 2 weeks coming down 1 week and then be ok for 1 week and repeat the cycle.

Losing the job is one thing but the relationship was the most important part of my life. I worried her terribly and she ended it. Hard to move forward after such things. Staying strong for today.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!