He IS clean but...

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He IS clean but...

I know he's clean. He's been in rehab for 6 1/2 months. But all the other addict/alcoholic behaviors are still there! I've been begging for months for him to ask about relationship counseling. The best I've got is "I'll check on it next week" and next week never comes.

Backing up - We've been together for 10 years, well kinda together, so many break ups I couldn't count them all. He's a crack addict/alcoholic who was a foster child. He doesn't know who his father was and Mother... she was a heroin addict who was in and out of psych wards.

Me... I'm a trying-to-recover codependent/adult child of an alcoholic with alcoholic tendencies (have had many periods of out-of-control drinking and abstinence) who smoked crack with him for the first 3 or 4 years of our relationship. I guess I could have just made it short and sweet and said "I'm a mess".

I've never been to any kind of rehab or group. I fought my way out of the crack smoke haze while still living with him. I would run screaming from the house in subzero weather just to get away from it.

Fast forward - He landed in the hospital for the 2nd time in 3 months with what looked like seizures and asked God to deliver him Jan 17, 2011. He did 3 weeks in a detox, 90 days in a more intensive program in the middle of nowhere and is now down to 6 weeks left in a rehab/homeless program before they kick him out, literally.

In the beginning he was basically patient and seemed focused. Often talked of his recovery and his spirituality. Lately, he has become increasingly belligerent and argumentative. He's been downright emotional abusive.

I feel like I'm back in the actively using days. He verbally assaults me, then apologizes and blames it on the stress he's under because he has to be out of this place by Oct 1 or he's back on the street. Sometimes he won't speak to me for a couple of days. Just to put it in context he calls 10 - 20 times a day most days.

Can anybody help me understand/cope with this insanity???
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Well, insanity is as insanity does. To me,the only way out of this mess, at the present time, is to turn him over to the HP, and, let the chips fall where they may. There is nothing you can do.

And, for you, I would suggest that you start attending meetings, Naranon, Alanon. Don't put your soberity on the line for him.

Others will be here to welcome you, fine group of people with alot of insight.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am fairly new here also. Others will be along soon.

I am in recovery from an eating disorder, so consider myself an addict. In the last few years of my recovery I was shocked to learn that I had attached myself to a loved one who struggled with alcohol. I have been even more shocked to truly realize how many people in my life struggle with the disease of addiction and/or codependency.

What has helped me with this side of my recovery is attending Al-Anon meetings (for friends and families of alcoholics), but they have meetings called Naranon for those who love someone addicted to drugs, posting here and doing a lot of reading. I also attend Open AA meetings to learn about the disease of addiction.

I know my own recovery journey was a rollarcoaster of emotions....that had little to do with anyone else though I bet it did not feel that way to others.

Thinking of you and sending warm thoughts your way.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Life and Dolly. Thank God for this place! I want to scream and rail at the unfairness of it all but the more posts I read, the more it is clear my codependent behaviors are still alive and well. He's still manipulating me and I'm still begging for more which isn't healthy for either of us. I need help
Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Grayduchess,

I saw your post on my thread so I wanted to come find your post and hear your story. And all I have to say is Girl we have ALOT in common.

I have been in the situation you are in for the past year and it is emotionally and physically draining, I often thought I was literally going crazy. I always thought that "this time was it, he's going to get clean this time and everything will be better.".........Boy was I wrong, he would stay clean for a few days then the behaviors, attitudes, and lies that I could recognize from a mile away started. The fighting and accusations would last for a few days until he would admit it and we would be right back at the detox place again.

This continued for months until I reaized that this had to stop. I could not depend on his behavior/actions/sobriety to determine my happiness and life. I had to be the one to control my life and the only one who had the right to determine my mood for the day was me, not him.

I always knew when that verbally abusive, manipulative, and blaming behavior started that he was headed for a relapse. your A is clean now while he is in the facility but if he doesn't continue to WORK his program and work on him then I fear, from my bad experiences, that a relapse is likely to occur.

They are dealing with alot of stress by realizing they have to start their life's over, and they are in the middle hardest fight they have ever had to face, their internal fight with themselves to save their own life. I'm sure I would be stressed too, but he needs to learn how to manage his stress in a better way because taking it out on you isn't solving anything. And how is he going to handle these stressful situations in the "real world" when he's outside of the facility, I hope not by using.

My RABF is now in a halfway house 3 hours away from me and the stress is starting to get to him too. He says that since he has been using for so long and is now fighting to get sober, that he has NO IDEA who he is, what he is going to do with his life, what he wants.....he's a hot mess to say the least! He now decided that he needs space from me, and at first I was upset by that but now I am realizing that I need to take this time to work on me and make sure that I am happy.

This insanity with your RA will continue for awhile, they have to grasp who they are, what they want and all of that stuff. And I think you should use this time to work on YOU and figure out who you are, and what you want in life or your relatonshp with him. And maybe once you become more stable in yourself then his insanity won't affect you as much. Just a thought, I am battling this at the same time as you so I'm just sharing what I'm going to do and hopefully it works!

All I know is this place is full of ladies who do know what they are talking about and they will be along in a little bit with their words of wisdom.
Stay strong you are in my prayers and if you ever want to talk feel free to pm me!!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

Hey grayduchess ---

I just wanted to focusd on some of hie specific behaviors that you've mentioned..............

"...Lately, he has become increasingly belligerent and argumentative. He's been downright emotional abusive.
I feel like I'm back in the actively using days. He verbally assaults me, then apologizes and blames it on the stress he's under because he has to be out of this place by Oct 1 or he's back on the street. Sometimes he won't speak to me for a couple of days. Just to put it in context he calls 10 - 20 times a day most days..."

I believe you've also mentioned his being manipulative....Ah......Well.....a lot of folks seem to want to give alcohol/drugs way more power than they actually have. In all honesty, neither alcohol nor drugs cause bad behavior; they may lower one's inhibitions and allow the behavior, but they do NOT cause them.

There's a silly ole story often told in AA about a drunken (read that as 'alcoholic') horse thief who finally stops drinking...but he's still a horse thief. Hmmm, well some folks joke and say that he's abstinant but not sober; others may say he may be sober, but he's not recovered (or in recovery).....

Contrary to a lot of common belief, yes, this fellow is sober; he's just a horse thief---a sober horse thief. Many folks think that when others get in recovery/recovered/sober they will be 'nice' (and all that entails); all the bad behavior will be gone. For some this may be true, but for others---not so much. Some folks, whether drinking/drugging or clean/sober/recovered/recovering/in recovery, they're are just @#$%&'s, no matter what......

I'm sorry you're going through what you are, and I'm hoping for the best, for both of you. .....'n you keep working on you.....alanon, naranon, coda, therapy, whatever works.............

(o:
NoelleR
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sTiLlhErE1986 View Post
Grayduchess,

I saw your post on my thread so I wanted to come find your post and hear your story. And all I have to say is Girl we have ALOT in common.

I thought the same

I have been in the situation you are in for the past year and it is emotionally and physically draining, I often thought I was literally going crazy. I always thought that "this time was it, he's going to get clean this time and everything will be better.".........Boy was I wrong, he would stay clean for a few days then the behaviors, attitudes, and lies that I could recognize from a mile away started. The fighting and accusations would last for a few days until he would admit it and we would be right back at the detox place again.

I basically went through this for the last 8 years. I know I felt like I was losing my mind more than once. He's never been clean more than a few weeks the entire time I've known him. I know I always hoped 'this time' would be the one...

This continued for months until I reaized that this had to stop. I could not depend on his behavior/actions/sobriety to determine my happiness and life. I had to be the one to control my life and the only one who had the right to determine my mood for the day was me, not him.

I think that's what I'm fighting the hardest right now. I KNOW I can't let him determine my happiness but he does... Even though I gave him up to God many years ago and prayed that he would find a recovered life even if it wasn't with me I think my biggest fear has always been that once he was sober he wouldn't want me anymore (there's that low self-esteem rearing its ugly head. Funny how it's easy to see but sooooooo much harder to fix)

I always knew when that verbally abusive, manipulative, and blaming behavior started that he was headed for a relapse. your A is clean now while he is in the facility but if he doesn't continue to WORK his program and work on him then I fear, from my bad experiences, that a relapse is likely to occur.

My thoughts exactly. He seems like he's headed for relapse.

They are dealing with alot of stress by realizing they have to start their life's over, and they are in the middle hardest fight they have ever had to face, their internal fight with themselves to save their own life. I'm sure I would be stressed too, but he needs to learn how to manage his stress in a better way because taking it out on you isn't solving anything. And how is he going to handle these stressful situations in the "real world" when he's outside of the facility, I hope not by using.

Again... my thoughts exactly. I think he's scared out of his mind. I can't help feeling "jeez, it's just normal life stuff, what's going to happen if you have to deal with a real issue?!"

My RABF is now in a halfway house 3 hours away from me and the stress is starting to get to him too. He says that since he has been using for so long and is now fighting to get sober, that he has NO IDEA who he is, what he is going to do with his life, what he wants.....he's a hot mess to say the least! He now decided that he needs space from me, and at first I was upset by that but now I am realizing that I need to take this time to work on me and make sure that I am happy.

He was two hours away from me for 90 days. During that time he told me he needed to live by himself for a year or so after getting out of the facilities. At first I said okay if that's what you need to do for you but the more I thought about it I told him that if he felt he needed to be on his own then we should start NOW. No more phone calls. No more visits. No more sending money. He changed his tune pretty quick.

I think about that a lot. Was he just blowing smoke? He was mad at me at the time because I wasn't visiting as much as he wanted, nor sending money as often as he wanted. Did I manipulate him or did he manipulate me??

This insanity with your RA will continue for awhile, they have to grasp who they are, what they want and all of that stuff. And I think you should use this time to work on YOU and figure out who you are, and what you want in life or your relatonshp with him. And maybe once you become more stable in yourself then his insanity won't affect you as much. Just a thought, I am battling this at the same time as you so I'm just sharing what I'm going to do and hopefully it works!

I'm coming to believe that. I have to stop letting him lead me into arguments and losing my temper. I've got to stop falling into a deep depression every time HE loses control. I repeat the Serenity Prayer daily. I'm trying to brainwash myself LOL I'm the only one I can control...I'm the only one I can control...

All I know is this place is full of ladies who do know what they are talking about and they will be along in a little bit with their words of wisdom.
Stay strong you are in my prayers and if you ever want to talk feel free to pm me!!
Thank you and everyone else who commented. I feel blessed. I've found SR, I've joined an Al-non group online, started a journal and I'm going to find meetings somewhere close to go to. Now if I just manage to keep going because I know I have issues with following through....
Old 08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Hey grayduchess ---

I just wanted to focusd on some of hie specific behaviors that you've mentioned..............

"...Lately, he has become increasingly belligerent and argumentative. He's been downright emotional abusive.
I feel like I'm back in the actively using days. He verbally assaults me, then apologizes and blames it on the stress he's under because he has to be out of this place by Oct 1 or he's back on the street. Sometimes he won't speak to me for a couple of days. Just to put it in context he calls 10 - 20 times a day most days..."

I believe you've also mentioned his being manipulative....Ah......Well.....a lot of folks seem to want to give alcohol/drugs way more power than they actually have. In all honesty, neither alcohol nor drugs cause bad behavior; they may lower one's inhibitions and allow the behavior, but they do NOT cause them.

There's a silly ole story often told in AA about a drunken (read that as 'alcoholic') horse thief who finally stops drinking...but he's still a horse thief. Hmmm, well some folks joke and say that he's abstinant but not sober; others may say he may be sober, but he's not recovered (or in recovery).....

Contrary to a lot of common belief, yes, this fellow is sober; he's just a horse thief---a sober horse thief. Many folks think that when others get in recovery/recovered/sober they will be 'nice' (and all that entails); all the bad behavior will be gone. For some this may be true, but for others---not so much. Some folks, whether drinking/drugging or clean/sober/recovered/recovering/in recovery, they're are just @#$%&'s, no matter what......

I'm sorry you're going through what you are, and I'm hoping for the best, for both of you. .....'n you keep working on you.....alanon, naranon, coda, therapy, whatever works.............

(o:
NoelleR
Great points, Noelle. I guess I really did expect his personality to change once the Coke and booze were removed. At first he did seem different; calm, gentle, more kind and thoughtful even with his words. He still can't take no for an answer and gets mad anytime he can't have what he wants. I guess the fact that he can't handle stress of any kind is all part of the core addictive personality...

Thank you for your kind words I really don't have anyone to talk to about this. My family and friends just engage in a BASH him fest which doesn't help. I'm trying to find an unemotional, rational state of mind here!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post

Some folks, whether drinking/drugging or clean/sober/recovered/recovering/in recovery, they're are just @#$%&'s, no matter what......
This is so true. My son in the early days of his drug/alcohol use as a teenager went from being a calm, polite person to a very angry one. I remember one of the babies that I was babysitting at the time. My son (before drugs/alcohol) really enjoyed babies and they gravitated towards him. His face would light up around the babies and they loved him. Then one day the little baby I was watching began to be fearful of my son. His countenance had changed so much that that little baby felt it. That was one of my first clues that something was dreadfully wrong with my son.

In my son's case, drugs and alcohol brought out the worst in him so it would be logical that once off drugs and alcohol he would return to how he was before abusing substances. Did you know your A before he was an A? What was he like before abusing drugs or alcohol because perhaps he never was very nice in the first place.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No, I ever knew him before. From what I understand he's been abusing something or other since the age of 12-14. But like you said about the babies... all kids and animals loved him as long as he wasn't high. The dog would go to another floor of the house and the baby would look right through him.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Something else to consider here is that 12-step programs teach the recovering addict new coping mechanisms. During active addiction coping mechanisms are either lost or the person started using so young that some coping mechanisms were never learned to begin with. The coping mechanisms and personality type of a person before they started using is immaterial. Recovery is about learning to live a happy, productive life. Bad behavior can be un-learned, and that is the goal of active recovery. People who behave badly are unhappy, and being unhappy is a trigger for relapse.

Our own recovery involves learning how to deal with the bad behavior of others toward us and how to respond to that in a way that is healthy.

Keep coming back.

Just my 2 cents.