Notices

a weird "trigger..."

Old 08-15-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bad*** Pirate Addict

a weird "trigger..."

So, I'm on Day 6 of sobriety (how I love that word "sobriety!" I could just say it over and over again!), and do you know what I notice has made me think those thoughts about "just one" etc. etc.???

Watching tv, or movies, or listening to music or being on the internet - and seeing people drink. Or reading about drinking. Or hearing people singing songs about awesome parties etc.

Is this a "trigger" for anyone else or is it just me? Obviously I haven't done anything about it, but these pop culture references to drinking definitely give me that feeling - you know, the "hmmmm... it'd be nice to get a buzz right now" feeling. This little emoticon expresses my reaction:
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a bit obsessive lol - when I chip a tooth I see people with chipped teeth everywhere...

so, when I quit drinking...yeah I noticed drinking a lot - everywhere

It helped me to remember that lots of people can drink just fine...but I've proven I can't, time and time again.

Good for you for recognising whats going on tho - it's half the battle won

and it goes away...I hardly notice these days, whether it's people drinking or a movie or a song...I like being sober so it's a non-issue now

D
Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. My sober date is 3/22 & I still change the radio station when I hear drinking songs. Just can't listen to it when I know "the rest of the story". The reading I do regarding alcohol is usually about recovery so that's different, helps me. Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by SerenityStarbuc View Post
So, I'm on Day 6 of sobriety (how I love that word "sobriety!" I could just say it over and over again!), and do you know what I notice has made me think those thoughts about "just one" etc. etc.???
At day 6, just about everything in the media seemed like a trigger to me.

Then I had a spiritual experience that removed the obsession completely and suddenly every sight of people drinking appeared foolish. Today, trigger is just the name of a gun part or Roy Roger's horse.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Triggers are just triggers, we can find them where we look. They aren't magi with the power to make us pick up. Recognize them, say hello then goodbye and move on. Sobriety is worthy of the effort. Take care.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Another day, that was, oh, nevermind. Have you surrendered, or do want more self abuse and consequences?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bad*** Pirate Addict

oooo.... awesome feedback here... thanks all! I will just try to think of Roy Rogers' horse whenever I hear/read/see drinking in pop culture from now on!

I was just surprised by how this affected me, since I don't normally think of myself as someone who's really easily influenced. I guess the booze will do that to you though.... truly the ways of the brain are mysterious!

Last edited by SerenityStarbuc; 08-15-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: sobriety has apparently made it impossible for me to use "sense" and "since" correctly.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. In the first couple of weeks those were triggers for me as well. They are few and far between now. Thank God. I like your avatar by the way
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
like a thunder bacon punch!

Yeah happen when I was on my way to work when I heard Kid Rocks All Summer Long come on the radio.

A few other songs like ACDC Have a Drink on Me and anything by George Thorogood have been known to spark a trigger in me.

Just triggers, they will come and go. Heck I could probably watch an old lady and her dog cross the street at a redlight and it would somehow spark a trigger. Weird how it works.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

It seemed like alcohol was EVERYWHERE when I quit 4 months ago.

It's gotten a little better, but it still makes me a little uneasy when I'm confronted with alcohol. It's true that if you're looking for it you'll see it everywhere, but what I realized when I quit was how ingrained drinking is in our culture. It's all around us all the time, but you only really notice if you're an alcoholic.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Triggers are anything that remind you of drinking. It depends upon your previous pattern. I find that if people on a TV show drink, my AV (alcoholic voice, see AVRT) will pop up. The intensity of what the trigger sets off should diminish with time.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's weird realising the triggers. That used to just happen.
I have a hobby I love & sell the finished articles on ebay, I take lots of pictures & always always drink when I do the listing on there, putting the pictures into my template etc.
And that is going to be strange when I do the next listing which will probably be tomorrow.
I think I am going to chew lots of gum maybe!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a hard time (and sometimes still do!) with tv and movies, etc. that involve drinking. Actually, my husband and I love the show "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain on the travel channel. It used to be that I would always drink during that, and quite frequently the show involves alcohol and people getting drunk. Last night there was a new one on, my husband asked if I wanted to watch it, and I declined because I knew it would make me want a drink. I don't think it would have been a bad one at this point, but I just didn't even want to go there.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Triggers are everywhere! I said to myself, often "of course you feel like drinking now. You're an alcoholic".
Old 08-16-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes i know about triggers they're everywhere.I need to remind myself when I see people on TV or movies that its all pretend for them its not reality they're really drinking cold tea same as adverts in mag.for beer and fancy lifestyles around posh wine its just models and photos .we are almost convinced we can;t enjoy a nice meal without a glass(es)of wine and its meant to trigger us .You never see a picture of a model with a h./over or a smashed up car in your weekly magazine advertising whichever poison they were drinking at the time.Booze .Alcoholics suffer from the old fashioned stigma that only bad people become alcoholic , as you know any human being can get addicted ,cigarette addiction was socially Ok for years look how difficult it is for some people to kick that habit so lets pull together and get some common sense and self esteem into us cheers
Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Smile

Yes i know about triggers they're everywhere.I need to remind myself when I see people on TV or movies that its all pretend for them its not reality they're really drinking cold tea same as adverts in mag.for beer and fancy lifestyles around posh wine its just models and photos .we are almost convinced we can;t enjoy a nice meal without a glass(es)of wine and its meant to trigger us .You never see a picture of a model with a h./over or a smashed up car in your weekly magazine advertising whichever poison they were drinking at the time..Alcoholics suffer from the old fashioned stigma that only bad people become alcoholic , as you know any human being can get addicted ,cigarette addiction was socially Ok for years look how difficult it is for some people to kick that habit ,so lets pull together and get some common sense and self esteem into us cheers