Notices

Looking for help

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for help

Looking for assistance, after drinking almost straight through the weekend I woke up today and was barely able to work.. Thought it was time to seek help.. been drinking way too much for the past 2 years, after drinking I feel extremely anxious, shakey, tired, like I let everyone down again.. I made an appt with my doc, but can't get in for a week. I do NOT want to drink again, but I opened a beer again tonight but caught myself and dumped it down the drain.. Anyways looking for some support, since my family seems reluctant to help..
Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Thanks for being here and posting. Good work on the beer dump. I'm glad you made the doctor appointment, quitting drinking can be tough, physically, emotionally. If you experience real problems detoxing don't hesitate to seek help since your MD appointment isn't for a week. Great people here with lots of experiences and insights. Any plans on seeking support with your sobriety?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

There are many of who have struggled or are struggling with alcohol problems here at SR. I personally consider myself an alcoholic. One thing I have to keep in mind is that it isn't the caboose of the train that kills us but rather the engine. In other words it is not the last drink that gets me but rather the first one that sets it all in motion. So for me I can not take that first drink because when I do bad things happen and my life becomes unmanageable. The insanity of drinking is back in full force. The doing the same thing over and over (drinking) and expecting to get different results (my life will improve), is just not something I can do any longer.

The things that help me not drink today are the program of recovery that I work, SR, the support group I have built over the years, and many other factors (I just can't think of them right now). There are many recovery programs here is a list of many of them: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
AA happens to be the program that has worked for me but I encourage you to find what will help you.

Take care and once again welcome to SR
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, missinglife. I remember those days of drinking all weekend, & in the end it was every day, all day. I'm so glad you're reaching out. There are amazing people here from all over. You don't have to feel alone now that you have a place to come and share your thoughts.

My family & friends didn't understand what I was going through at all - that's why this place was so valuable to me. Here I found the courage to quit, and face life without getting numb. You have so much to look forward to - congratulations on your decision.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

For me, hitting that realization that the way I was living was not the way I wanted to be living was crucial. I'm so glad to hear that you've already hit that wall.

You'll find tons of support here. I would also consider checking out an AA meeting to see if you like it -- many people do.

Take care, glad you found our community.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Just stop. Or check in at the emergency room. You can do it.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi missinglife - you'll always find support here

I encourage you to see a Dr too if you can - detox can sometimes be difficult for some of us.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on SR day and night. Night and Day. If you can get to the doctor, do that. otherwise, for now, everytime you have an urge to drink just hop on SR and read some posts. I give SR much credit for my sobriety. The members here are very kind and encouraging. We all want you to succeed
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, day 2 is almost over.. Super shaky, anxious, and feeling like crap almost cloudy or completely zoned out... Super bad headache.. maybe I am in denial but I am having a hard time believing this only withdrawal.. Hope so? But coming on here and reading peoples story is a help and trying to stay positive.. And I do have an appt set with the doc.. Thanks again
Old 08-16-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep strong do what needs to be done, be honest with the doctor. I use to admit to half the amount I actually drank when I went for checkups. Oh and don't forget how bad you feel today, it will help you when you have the urge, well, it did for me.

My best friend asked me yesterday what is stopping you from drinking, I told her, in all honesty, I will feel sad, lonely and depressed after the initial high.

People on this forum do want you to succeed, they do want you to be happy and not to suffer. You need to want these things as well.

love and best wishes
Cai Hong
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Drink a lot of water...sweets will help with the shakes...cut out caffeine as
that often adds to both jitters and sleeping problems Eat small meals of non spicey food..

Don't hesitate to get medical help...call 911 or get to an ER if things get scary.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Ditto what Carol said.... Also, get some Vitamin B-Complex (alcohol destroys the B vitamins).

I hope day 3 goes better for you......