Notices

Messy Sober Girl

Old 08-15-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Messy Sober Girl

Ugh...I am on Day 7...

I didn't mean "ugh" about day 7...I am proud that I have gone 7 days without booze. This is the longest I have gone sober e.v.e.r in 2 years! So I am quite proud of that.
It's just that it has been an emotional roller coaster. The anxiety is nuts...I have also lost 9lbs since I quit drinking. Yea, that is a lot in just one week.
I think my body is just going through a whack of different emotions and changes and I just need to hold on and not give it to temptation and drink.
The worst part though is this emotional stuff is driving me kookoo. I will sit at my desk at work and then randomly want to start crying. For no reason! Then I sit there and nitpick and try to find reasons!
Before when I was stressed at work or worried about something I would tell myself that I just have a few more hours to wait and then I would be at home and I could have a few drinks...then whilst drinking the booze would dispell all my worries and say that it isn't worth worrying about.
Isn't it funny that something you worry about constantly while sober turns to the opposite while drinking?
Your mind is telling you that it's the silliest thing to worry about...
I don't know.
Very frustrated. I was doing alright over the weekend, but work is just brutal and super stressful. :/

Just needed to vent.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well you are not the only one. I feel up and down all the time. Today for some reason urge did not show up. So thanks for that. But on Friday I need something to get relaxed.
The problem is, when I relapsed last time, it took me 2 sober days to get a normal feeling again. Not sure if I want to go through that again.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your day7!

Keep going, it is an emotional roller coaster for a while..your body is a jar of chemicals...you've just changed the balance and it takes a while for your body to readjust. Ride it out.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah the first few weeks can be hard Bayliss - but you're not alone - you'll always find support here

D
Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Oof, I know what you mean. I felt the emotional roller coaster when I quit too. It got much better after a couple weeks though. Stick it out, you can do it!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

There are so many alternatives to drinking or drugging when "you need someting to relax." Start a list.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Bad*** Pirate Addict

Bayliss - I'm on Day 6 and I've also been having these weird impulses to cry, flashes of anger, and LOTS AND LOTS of anxiety. You're right, not knowing that I can numb myself starting at 5pm (or whenever) does make a difference! I keep telling myself, "this is just a feeling; it will pass." But sometimes the feelings don't even seem to have a cause, or the cause is really tiny. (Like, I freaked out earlier about scooping the cat litter - something I do EVERY SINGLE DAY!!) Weird. Glad to know I'm not alone!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You are feeling ALL of the things you numbed for as long as you drank. Luckily, you won't feel them for as long as you drank. I worked the program of recovery I've fought for years, and I did not have more than a month of minor ups & downs. Just for me, subject to change. I did surrender totally this time.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everyone - thank you so much for responding to my post.
I will keep on going and definitely keep on coming back here for support.

SerenityStarbuc - You are definitely not alone...I will freak out over the most random stuff as well and cry just randomly...the anxiety sometimes is just crazy...but I can't give in to drinking or this will happen all over again.
I really didn't think that quitting drinking was going to create all this anxiety/etc.

SugarBear1 - I guess I am willing to keep on goin with this until it just gets better. I hope it doesn't take too much longer. I really hate the ups and downs. It's funny though, most of my lows happen at work. Probably because it's so stressful over there.

Thanks again everyone.
Day 8 tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when you get home from work after a stressful day, you can take a long relaxing bath, rub some nice lavendar lotion into your skin, put on something comfy, do a lot of stretching and try eating some vanilla ice cream or a yogurt, whatever appeals to you...make sure you stay hydrated, cool dark room and try smoething amusing to watch before bed too.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you Fandy - that sounds heavenly.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know all about the anxiety of quitting. It can be hell on Earth at times, and sometimes feel as if it will never end. I am proof (along with many others here) that it does come to an end. Keep your mind preoccupied, move around, leave the place that you usually spent your time drinking, drink something without alcohol (tea, decaf coffee, etc.). You will make it through this, and you will congratulate yourself once you get over this hurdle. Don't give in to the temptation, and keep plugging away, day by day! If I can do it, so can you! I'm on my second round and now at day 19, and believe me, you will thank yourself.

Don't forget where you can come for plenty of support