Not sure how to handle this

Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how to handle this

One of my coworkers just came in to tell me something about "your husband"...

I guess I haven't really broadcast that I was married to an A and that I left him more than a year ago, but I thought word had gotten around. It took me so much by surprise that someone still thinks of him as my husband that I didn't have it in me to correct him.

And now I feel silly.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it. They didn't know or it was a slip.

Either way no harm, no foul.

God, I love sports metaphors!

Your friend, waiting for football season to start,
Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Does it matter whether or not they know that you're not married anymore?
If they still believe you are, then I'd take it this isn't someone you typically share personal information with, so I'd say that it's up to you whether or not you want to set the record straight, and if so, when you want to say something.
You didn't do anything wrong by not saying anything. There were a few people at work I never said anything to about XABF and I breaking up, until about six months after the fact, and they were periodically bringing him up since they'd run into him.
I shared when I felt like sharing. It didn't really matter that much, otherwise.
When the one apologized for always bringing up XABF after I told him we were no longer together, I told him that was unnecessary, him mentioning XABF hadn't bothered me or I would have said something, but since he and XABF had helped each other a lot in the past I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with it before I shared it with him. He understood, and we still talked on a regular basis (up until they moved his office to the other side of the street, anyway - now he's hardly over here anymore).

What's important to you? That's what matters here.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They'll just be surprised when I remarry, I guess. But really, that's not my problem.

I remember one of my friends who went through a very friendly divorce with his wife (they were in agreement that they were not good together). He wanted to place an ad in the paper to announce the divorce. The paper refused to accept the ad. I thought it was a brilliant idea... good way to not have to tell everyone!