Notices

Hi....I'm Rick and I'm an Alcoholic

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi....I'm Rick and I'm an Alcoholic

Hi all. You may recall I posted in June after a Memorial Day weekend relapse. I had quit cold turkey in October and was substituting excercise for alcohol; life was good until WHAM....alcohol got the best of me once again. At the time I was not actively involved in any program for recovery, I was white knuckling it as they say.

Well I am grateful today to say that my relapse did not get any better. I continued on a downward spiral until July 23 when I hit my bottom. Without going into details of the story, all I can say is that I am blessed to have the love and support of my family, friends and employer. After detoxing on the 23rd and 24th of July, I voluntarily checked into rehab on Monday July 25th.

I can honestly say today that I am a changed man. I have been going to AA meetings everyday since then and since leaving rehab last Monday. I began working the steps with my sponsor yesterday and I feel great. I have had a spiritual awakening that falls nothing short of a miracle. I am on the proverbial 'Pink Cloud'.

I know I have a long road ahead of me but I am quite excited for the ride. I am excited to be an active part of this website and looking forward to getting to know more of you better and offering support when I can.

I am new but I am sure as ever that 'it works if you work it'.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Isn't it great that sobriety always hangs around waiting for us to pick it back up and embrace it and be embraced by it. Glad you're working it. Sobriety is not picking up, recovery is picking yourself up.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Editor

Outstanding and welcome back!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by MarylandRick View Post

Well I am grateful today to say that my relapse did not get any better.
If you're a true alcoholic, they never do. And you're completely right, it IS a blessing that they don't get better. The mere fact that they get worse sure gets us reeeeally willing to set aside a lot of preconceptions about how to manage our own sobriety - which, if you're an alcoholic, you just can't successfully do.

I have had a spiritual awakening that falls nothing short of a miracle. I am on the proverbial 'Pink Cloud'.

I know I have a long road ahead of me but I am quite excited for the ride. I am excited to be an active part of this website and looking forward to getting to know more of you better and offering support when I can.

heh.....don't knock the pink cloud.....that's how the grace of a HP feels. It's a wonderful place - so long as you're not ignoring everything else around you in your life while you're basking in the glory of it all. You can stay on that cloud a looooooooong time yanno - and that's really cool. Keep doing the work - ESPECIALLY when you don't want to or don't think it'll help.....keep "seeking" and you'll spend a loooot of time on "the pink cloud." That's what real recovery feel like my man......welcome to the club.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you! I'm glad you are here and appreciate reading your post.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are in the program. The pink cloud will go away, but when that happens, as they say, keep coming back and a longer-lasting pink cloud will appear. Proud of you.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Rick, I'm glad you're feeling better.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How exciteing for you Rick....
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the great post! So glad to see things are going well for you - congrats!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

New is where it is at my friend. That is what recovery is all about. Congrats and welcome.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done friend, I hope you stay well. You are so lucky to have had your awakening and I wish you well
Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome! I may see you at a meeting!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome back!

Rehab was just what I needed to turn my life around, I'm glad to hear that it helped you out as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Rick

good to see you & I'm glad to hear you found something that's working so well for you
Good stuff!

D
Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the warm wishes and thoughts.

Things are really great right now. While I don't want to lose this feeling I need to remain aware that I am always 1 drink away from total disaster. I have been going to 2 meeting a day right now as a constant reminder of that. I am really beginning to feel a part of something very special in AA.

I have 2 home groups, one early morning meeting that meets daily and 1 Monday night meeting for beginners. This morning I went to breakfast after the meeting with several of the guys from the group. It was really great to share with them on a more intimate, personal level.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the day brings for me.

Thanks again! -Rick-
Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Great meetings where you are! Glad to hear you are addressing your situation! Yay Rick!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Great meetings where you are! Glad to hear you are addressing your situation! Yay Rick!
There really are great meetings here. Looking in the 'Where and When' I could almost go to a meeting every hour 7 days a week without travelling too far at all.

I am starting to run into people everywhere who are in AA, including several of my neighbors. Even better is the fact that many of my friends from rehab are now out and I am running into them in the meetings.

I really feel like something very special is happening. It is not the big white flash as many have experienced or many are looking for; but I am finding small miracles occuring throughout the day, you just need to look for them. They are there and having a clear mind and continual prayer has helped me become aware of them.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Read page 567 to the end of the big book!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Read page 567 to the end of the big book!
Thanks sugarbear. "God-consciousness". That is exactly what I am feeling.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Suggestion: meetings are great, find the ones you connect with most. Find people who live it, not talk it.

Please read what it says in the 12 X 12 on pg 39, last sentence. (carries over to pg 40)

Describe "action".