Notices

Desperate to stop binge drinking-new here

Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Desperate to stop binge drinking-new here

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I am a 23 year old mother of a one year old daughter. I have a terrible binge drinking problem. I normally don't drink but maybe once every week or two, but when I do I go way over board. I never drink in the presence of my daughter but if I have an all night sitter I will drink to belligerence with or without other people and then I am self destructive. This just happened last night and I woke today to
Find out I have completely destroyed a car parked in my yard that does not belong to me and I don't even remember it. I get in such a rage for no reason. I am embarrassed and I am close to losing all my friends that I still have. I have been doing this since I was about 17 and I am sick of it I just can't stop. I have also totaled a car and in the trees drunk and I thought I had learned a lesson but I just can't stop. Please someone help me understand how I can control myself.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi justrealized

Welcome to SR

I'm glad you're here - it sounds to me like alcohol is doing you absolutely no favours at all.

Supports very important I think - you'll find a lot of support here...check out our August thread for a start

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...st-2011-a.html

D
Old 08-14-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

It's not how much or how often you drink,its what happens to you when you do drink.If you truly want this to stop then the easiest way is to get help,from a friend or family member or a professional or A.A..I personally went to A.A. for help.It was amazing.The people there were very nice.I learned that abstinence was the only answer forme.There are hundreds of people willing to help you if that is what you truly want.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I need all the support I can get. I live in a small town and have looked into AA but I am very scared because my father is very well known here in town and I don't want to be an embarrassment to him anymore than I already have. It feels good to able to admit my problem and not be judged!
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

to SR. Have you considered AA meetings for additional support?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you recognize that you need to stop drinking.

We do understand how difficult this is, and please know that there is lots of support here.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand concerns about AA but I think it's good to remember that other people are there for the same reason.

Many people go to meetings in neighboring town etc too.

there are of course other alternatives too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you need help with your alcohol abuse problem then go see a doctor and get a blood/fiscal test. Your doctor will give you a number to see a drug/alcohol counselor. That way you will make sure your body is still okay and you can get professional help with your problem. Good luck. Welcome to SR.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

It's not abstinance or meetings, it's working, not reading, the steps with someone who also workS them.

May you find peace and release the "control."
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR. We all got your back.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! AA is very helpful to many people but sobriety can be had without using AA. I see an addiction counselor once a week and check in here every day. I'm sober twenty months now and feel better than I have in a long time.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I live in a small town and have looked into AA but I am very scared because my father is very well known here in town and I don't want to be an embarrassment to him anymore than I already have.
Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of every AA meeting. Does your father know that you have a problem with drinking? I would imagine that he would be supportive of any decision you make to recover. Your welfare is more important than anything else, plus you have a one year old to think of. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks when it comes to saving your life. If you really don't feel comfortable going to meetings in your own town, then maybe travel to another town nearby to attend one, however I've found that it is really good to have a solid support system in your immediate area. There are a lot of people in the same boat as you & there is help, if you want it.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone thanks for the support. I just wanted to check in today to say I am so tired but feel better about my self already. I talked with my parents and they seem to think I am over dramatic (they drink alot as well). My mom says I should still drink with her just not as much. I said the only way for me is to completely stop and I am sticking to this. My husband is not a heavy drinker but he is helping me by also quitting. Thanks for the support
Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

that's great that your husband is going to stop to help support you! good luck!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So glad you're here! I'm glad you're not going to listen to your mother (at least for this!). Some of us simply can't be social drinkers - one or two drinks, and all we want is more.....

Congratulations for recognizing your problem and having the courage to talk to your family. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't get it, or have an unhealthy relationship to alcohol themselves. We need the support/input from others who know what it's like, and you'll find a lot of that here.

AA is a great place, too. Once you feel a bit stronger, you can always call the local hotline and have someone meet you at the meeting. Just being around others who are going through the same thing and are really honest about it is quite refreshing.

In the meantime, keep reading and posting!:ghug3
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Let's get to the center of the problem. There is a deep and dark subconscious reason you drink the way you do. Self conscious? Insecure? If so, why? PM me if you'd like to discuss.