Notices

Darn it!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Darn it!!!

Well, I was going to attend my very first AA meeting this morning. I looked on an AA meeting directory website for my city and found a meeting listed at a coffee house a few blocks away from where I live. I woke up bright and early and rode my bicycle there only to find a note on the door that said the coffee house would be closed for today. What a bummer!! The only other meetings in my area are far from where I live and my wife needs to use the car, so I guess I'll hang out here for today and try the coffee house again tomorrow. Today is day 2 without a drink and I feel fine.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The best laid plans of mice and alcoholics often go astray. Hopefully things will work out tomorrow. Hope the meeting goes well for you and happy day two.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny how often I planned to turn over a new leaf it seemed the world was stacked against me.Just like yo u years ago i decided to try AA.It was a winter night ,snow storm blew up ,one headlight conked out ,I got there and the meeting was canceled.the next thing a cop at my window asking about my headlight wondering what was i doing in a snowstorm in a church parking lot a single woman in the dark.He fixed my h/light for me and on the dark road home the other one went..this was typical of barriers that seemed to jump in front of me every time i tried to change.I;m hoping SR can help me this time
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

For those interested, aa online chat has daily meetings
3 pm EST saturday & sunday, read before you enter the room for protocol
Search aa speakers & listen

Xa speakers addresses more than alcoholism, Sandy B has steps described during his speaker meetings (yes, that's his real name!)

Desert in the sand has Dr. Bob, Bill W and others

My friend Bob Stonebreaker (Robert) wrote A PreHistory of AA & has big book study on fourth dimension group. He now has 34 years or 33? sober.

You are never alone today!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dang - it must have felt like going to Wallyworld - lol

Did you enjoy your sober bike ride? It wasn't a waste of time.

Happy Day 2!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I ended up taking a tour of the treasury (mint) yesterday....saw the washington monument, holocaust museum, and had a map seller hand me a dollar to match mine for a hotdog (no cash onn me except a buck) then ended up answering phones at th aa office for a double shift. Just went with life! I barely made it outside for much when drinking!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience yesterday. I screwed up my courage and drove 40 minutes to a nearest women's meeting at that time. The church parking lot was taped off but I was not discouraged. I drove around the neighborhood looking for a rare parking place. Parked and walked two blocks to the church only to find them further bisecting the parking lot for some church camp event. Women were running in and out of the room where the meeting should have been--carrying food. I figured the meeting was cancelled as the little blue AA tag wasn't out.

While that did make me feel like I needed a burger and a beer, I instead found a pho restaurant and read my book and gorged myself on broth. After, I bought a sexy top and went home. We went to the movies and out for soberaoke, where I sang my first song sober. The KJ said I had a pretty vibrato--and that she had never heard it before.

Hmmmm....

This morning I'm tired, but safe. I do not hear my heart pounding in my ears. I'm not dizzy. I still might want to cry a little, but I feel good today.

I think I'll look for a meeting.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Did you ask any of the women if they knew about the meeting? I ask if they know about any self help meetings...
Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Truly discouraging...so sorry to hear that you had the desire and courage to go and there was no meeting. Please do not let it deter you from going again. Sometimes I have found meetings that were not listed online by calling my local AA intergroup. Maybe that can help you too?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember working up the courage to go to an AA meeting when I first started.

I picked a 7 pm meeting and as I was about to enter, I saw a sign posted that indicated it was a "young person's meeting." That isn't me, so I decided to try another meeting at a church nearby scheduled to start at 7:30.

I was a little early for the 7:30 meeting at the church, so I sat discretely in my car and checked out who was going in. I saw 10 or 12 people go in. It occured to me that all of the people I saw were women. I thought to myself, "what are the odds of that?" I figured it must be a women's only meeting (and I'm not one of those either). Turns out, it was.

Since I was 0 for 2 on trying to get to a meeting, I gave up and came home and logged onto SR instead.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I went to a young people's meeting. Talk about inspiring! Wow!.

Then, when I tried the 4 pm meeting, on 3 Saturdays in a row (call me persistent, detemined, or hardheaded), I ran into people also seeking the same meeting, so we ttalked. At least I wasn't alone, nor were they. Maybe I just want sobriety so badly that any length is no big deal.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I drank evry day, all day when possible, hours in a row.
Going to a daily meeting isn't a problem.

I laughed about "not remembering" and thought I never had a "blackout."

I "fell asleep in my chair) and never called it "passing out."

I spent HALF my life in and out of AA because of "the religious" aspect only to stick around long enough to realize it truly is a spiritual program.

I practiced nonspiritual behavior every day, reinforcing MY behavior and drinking, only to stay miserable and isolating.

Today I practice a Spiritual life by practicing and living it daily.

If I weren't truly ready to change & to stop drining,, I, too would find fault with AA, still and I'd still be miserable and drinking. Just my experience. Loved being told how wonderful I am looking, sober (
Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Typo = ( not a frown!

drining= drinking
Old 08-13-2011, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for your support everyone! It really does help. Well, I did not find a meeting today, so I went to the beach, listened to the waves and relaxed. I didn't drink and I am home now safe and sober - 2 days! Tomorrow I'm going to find a meeting. Thanks again!!

Sugarbear, when you say - "I laughed about "not remembering" and thought I never had a "blackout. I "fell asleep" in my chair) and never called it "passing out." - that is me to a tee.

It feels good to know that I am not alone. I am so happy I found this website!