Notices

Started as a weekend drinker - Now it's a Tuesday!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started as a weekend drinker - Now it's a Tuesday!

I used to only drink on the weekends, and only with friends. I was a total social drinker - I'd frequent local bars and get drunk and part with all off my numerous friends and any girls that were around. I know for a fact on numerous occasions I got out of control. I wouldn't just drink to get a buzz, I'd drink until I was ****** UP!!! If I was a religious man I'd say it's a miracle that I haven't gotten a DUI or been killed in an accident yet.

I live in a new town now for school, and I find myself drinking alone and getting as ****** up as always. A few years ago I'd never imagine drinking alone; now I drink alone so often and in such an overbearing quantity that I have to miss work at times. I am out of control, and I find myself growing worse and worse.

I can only address my problem when I am drunk. It is like I am two different people. Right now I am drunk -- I have drank a pint of whiskey and that is the only reason I am being this honest. I need help, advice, and I am all too mighty and strong to admit this to people in my everyday life.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Someone offer me something other than "go to an AA meeting." Those things creep me out.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I started as a weekend drinker and progressed to an all day everyday drinker.
Support really helped me Tyler.

You'll find a lot of support here - and if AA's not your thing there's counselling, seeing your Dr, rehab....and other programme alternatives available too

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

good to have you with us
welcome,

D
Old 08-13-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing. Like the first monkey shot into space.

Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned.

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-options.html
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Tyler and welcome! I was drinking the first time I posted, too. It was pretty scary to admit I was out of control - I had tried SO many times to cut down and it just never worked.

Reaching out for help is the first step in getting better. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy my life without alcohol, but coming here gave me the hope and support I needed. My lives is so much better today and yours can be too. I hope you keep reading and posting.

p.s. Since you mentioned moving to a new town for school, I'm assuming you're in college (?)...... do they have a medical clinic and counseling services for students? It might be a good place to start......
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

They creep you out cause they are you. Listen to some AA speakers online. You won't need to sit in a meeting. Peace
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hi TD,

Welcome to SR! I too felt like I was only really myself when I was drinking. Boy, was I wrong. No wonder I really hated myself.

I hope you continue to reach out for help. There's plenty of support if you choose to quit drinking. It is one of the most difficult and rewarding things you can do for your mental, emotional, spiritual and physical health.

Best wishes.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

tyler, you really need to make a serious decision to quit drinking.

just stop before it is too late. the things you mention (DUI, problems at work, school, social life, health... not the least by any means) they are just waiting around the corner, while you are drinking. and it only takes one. don't get to that point.

that being said, you need make this decision for yourself and follow through. AA is not for everyone (didn't do it for me). i found the hobbies and keeping yourself occupied with physical activity, work, whatever works miracles. i was literally dying from alcohol consumption, hanging on by a very thin thread. and 2 months after quitting my life has changed drastically for the better. make the decision and stop, it will only get worse if you don't. all you have to do is not take that one drink... see how far that can take you.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tyler - I hope you're still around. I didn't see this when you posted because it was the wee hours where I am. I'm sorry for your pain and confusion over your drinking. I was the same way, but continued for decades without reaching out for help.

Be proud of yourself for not wanting to leave things the way they are. I wasted so many years thinking if I just used my willpower I could have 'a few' now and then. I kept at it long after it was fun - and in the end I was drinking round the clock. It had become a necessity, and I was totally dependent on it.

When I came here I continued to drink for awhile - but I became convinced I could never be a social drinker, just by reading everyone's stories. I finally got up the courage to stop - I knew I wasn't alone anymore. I hope you'll post again and tell us how you're doing.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back slickbri

I really hope you decide to change your life...and sooner than I did - I wasted 20 years of my life, stumbling around, being unhappy, hating myself....

It's no way to live - especially with what I know know about living life sober

D
Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by slickbri481 View Post
Story of my life dude. I wish I knew how to change. I also reached out here for first time when I was drunk. Part of me wants to change and part of me doesn't. I wish I knew what to do. Everyone if very nice on this site. I have been comforted by a lot of the posts. Hopefully I can find a way to make my life make sense again. The post you wrote here, that's me. That's exactly me. Monday night and I am drunk and I wish I knew why. I really hate myself sometimes, glad to know I'm not alone

I'm just glad that you're here. Stick around. If you decide to quit we will be here to support you.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's all too familiar, starting out just at weekends. You fall into alcohol dependancy without noticing it though.
I was drunk every weekend from the age of 14, up until I was about 20 when I had a lifestyle change, & then drink went without me thinking really, I didn't drink at all until I was about 31, a new boyfriend then liked his friday & saturday drinks, we would go to the supermarket, I would pick up a 4 pack of bacardi breezers, he would want me to have more, but I wasn't into drink. After we split when I was 33, I started drinking more & more on my own. To get over him I think.
Started dating a big drinker when I was 35, was drinking weekends & a couple of nights in the week. After we split when I was 37 I really hit the bottle, in my terms anyway, at least every other night really.
I worked every other day so would drink the nights I wasn't working the next day.
I am 40 now & saturday night I had way too many vodkas & spent hours in the night awake feeling so ill, watery mouth, didn't actually throw up, but the next morning I felt horrendous, found here, joined. Haven't drank since, but still have a headache which started when I woke up yesterday.
It's slightly better this morning, but hoping it'll go soon.
I too started drinking the nights before work because I changed my days, I was working 4 days in a row, & there was no way I would make 4 days not drinking, then I would feel a bit rough at work & I think when it starts affecting your work, you need to sort it to be honest.
All we can do as newbies is stick with this place & keep reading the success stories. They sound really good. The thing I want back is my energy & my figure, both went out the window in the last 3 years, I look terrible x
Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Seem to me that you use alcohol to let loose but after a while you use it to forget your problems. It's something that many people do. You may not know it but it's a good time to stop drinking alcohol for sometime and found out why your drinking on Monday and Tuesday. I don't know if your just drinking at night or drinking through out the day but stopping now and dealing with your problems head on will help with the cravings with alcohol. If you decided to stop forever or learn how to drink responsible will come down to you at the end.

If you haven't done a blood/fiscal test then it would be a good time to get one to make sure you didn't damage your body with the alcohol abuse you have done. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for your posts.

I have taken your advice and for the past two weeks or so I have only drank once a week; far from an addiction in my mind.

I hope to harness this strength and hold back the beast. I hope to be in touch with all of you very soon.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slickbri481 View Post
Story of my life dude. I wish I knew how to change. I also reached out here for first time when I was drunk. Part of me wants to change and part of me doesn't. I wish I knew what to do. Everyone if very nice on this site. I have been comforted by a lot of the posts. Hopefully I can find a way to make my life make sense again. The post you wrote here, that's me. That's exactly me. Monday night and I am drunk and I wish I knew why. I really hate myself sometimes, glad to know I'm not alone

Are you in college? Where are you from?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACT10Npack View Post
Seem to me that you use alcohol to let loose but after a while you use it to forget your problems. It's something that many people do. You may not know it but it's a good time to stop drinking alcohol for sometime and found out why your drinking on Monday and Tuesday. I don't know if your just drinking at night or drinking through out the day but stopping now and dealing with your problems head on will help with the cravings with alcohol. If you decided to stop forever or learn how to drink responsible will come down to you at the end.

If you haven't done a blood/fiscal test then it would be a good time to get one to make sure you didn't damage your body with the alcohol abuse you have done. Good luck and stay strong.

You are right, at first I used to let loose but after awhile I used to forget problems. Then I used just for the hell of it, because I had nothing better to do.

I usually only drink at night. Rarely do I drink during the day.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Homewardbound View Post
It's all too familiar, starting out just at weekends. You fall into alcohol dependancy without noticing it though.
I was drunk every weekend from the age of 14, up until I was about 20 when I had a lifestyle change, & then drink went without me thinking really, I didn't drink at all until I was about 31, a new boyfriend then liked his friday & saturday drinks, we would go to the supermarket, I would pick up a 4 pack of bacardi breezers, he would want me to have more, but I wasn't into drink. After we split when I was 33, I started drinking more & more on my own. To get over him I think.
Started dating a big drinker when I was 35, was drinking weekends & a couple of nights in the week. After we split when I was 37 I really hit the bottle, in my terms anyway, at least every other night really.
I worked every other day so would drink the nights I wasn't working the next day.
I am 40 now & saturday night I had way too many vodkas & spent hours in the night awake feeling so ill, watery mouth, didn't actually throw up, but the next morning I felt horrendous, found here, joined. Haven't drank since, but still have a headache which started when I woke up yesterday.
It's slightly better this morning, but hoping it'll go soon.
I too started drinking the nights before work because I changed my days, I was working 4 days in a row, & there was no way I would make 4 days not drinking, then I would feel a bit rough at work & I think when it starts affecting your work, you need to sort it to be honest.
All we can do as newbies is stick with this place & keep reading the success stories. They sound really good. The thing I want back is my energy & my figure, both went out the window in the last 3 years, I look terrible x

Let's get to the core of the problem. Let's be honest. You know why you drink. You have a little subconscious trigger that just blasts a load of Vodka into your mouth, or whatever it may be. PM me if you wanna talk about it.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done for realizing you might have a problem, and for willing to change. Also I'm glad that you are looking for some other form of help (maybe professional, or semi-professional) rather then AA. I know AA can be great for some, but not everybody are the same and seeing what AA "done" to my ex-bf, I dare to say sometimes I wished he was still drinking ( Sorry!) ,or that he found other more suitable help.

Good look in the future, hope your studies go well.