Notices

Enough is enough, time for a change

Old 08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is enough, time for a change

Hi everyone. I joined this group for support and advice. I can't keep living my life the way I have been up to this point. I need to make a change starting right now.

To give a bit of background, I started drinking at an early age. I was 16,had access to alcohol through older friends and my parents didn't care if I drank as long as it was "safely." I pretty much drank to blackout every weekend and more than a few times was woken up by a cold shower bc I had blacked out and my boyfriend at the time wanted to make sure I didn't die.
I finally hit the point where I couldn't drink anymore. Period. I gave up alcohol completely for 3 years and started drinking again when I was 21. It was pretty casually and normally wasn't excessive until recently again. I am in an amazing relationship with someone I love very much. I binge drink pretty much every time I drink anymore. My boyfriend can't drink when we go out because he knows he's going to have to be the DD. It makes me feel horrible that I can't control my drinking. I don't have the urge to always drink, but once I have one drink all bets are off and I binge.

At least 2 times in the last 2 months I have gone to work hungover, and another 3-4 times I have just called out sick because I was hungover. I did it again last night and am home today instead of at work as a result. This is not how I want to live my life. I need to make a change starting today and since I can't control myself when I start drinking, the only option is to not drink. I know it won't be easy, but I love my life without alcohol. I just need a support system to keep me honest and focused. I will have my boyfriend by my side the whole time but my dad passed away last year and the rest of my family is kind of in shambles. Plus I'm embarrassed. So it's not like I feel like announcing to everyone that I have self control issues and need their help.

So that's why I'm here. To get support from others and help others like me.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No better reason to be on SR and no better time for sobriety than now. Welcome, I look forward to your participation in our recovery.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! You are so right about no better time than now! I'm just so fed up with the whole thing. It's a horrible cycle that ends with me being so upset with myself and it's unnecessary. I'm trying to focus on things that are positives in my life and add to my happiness and drinking doesnt. It has become a very dark cloud in my life. But no more.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Needtochange7 View Post
Hi everyone. I joined this group for support and advice. I can't keep living my life the way I have been up to this point. I need to make a change starting right now.
I recommend that you make a plan to abstain for life, and to never rescind that decision. That is what I did when I finally realized that stretches of sober time were not going to cut it anymore. If you are not comfortable "announcing" to people in real life, you don't have to. SMART recovery has online meetings, and Rational Recovery does not use any meetings at all. Some people use only SoberRecovery.

Stick around, I'm sure others will chime in shortly.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Welcome to SR. It's good to have the support of family and friends, but it's best to have the support of other people who have a problem with alcohol and can understand exactly what you're going through. You've come to the right place.

--Fenris.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Needtochange7! You have us to lean on now - you are no longer alone.

My life spun out of control every time I drank. Yet I kept insisting that I could use my willpower to manage it. That never worked, but I went on drinking until my life was a shambles. DUI's, health problems, ruined relationships, embarassment at work - who needs to live that way? You've made a wise decision at a young age - you'll never have to go through what so many of us have.

Be proud that you've seen the light - you can do this, and we'll help.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The fact that you have your boyfriend to help can be a really good thing. A support team can be vital to recovery.

Also, I fully understand missing work as I've been under the same pattern for quite a long time now. My company thinks I have a different disorder (since us drinkers can be quite good at covering it up). I haven't used an actual vacation day as I should in a few years since all my vacation days are used to recover from hangovers.

But, best of luck in stopping. Just remember that whatever method you use to stop, if it doesn't work consider trying something different. Otherwise your current lifestyle may continue for quite a long time.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family. You won't regret living sober. The rewards are many but just waking up feeling good is reward enough.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

You can always come here for support. Best of luck in your recovery.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good to have you join us, Needtochange - I can relate.....My intentions to stop after a couple of drinks never worked either. I sure did try (over and over), though.

When I found this forum, the support here really inspired me to quit for good. Even though it was a bit scary at first, I'm so glad I'm sober today. No more dreaded mornings.....

Thanks for sharing your story - you can do this!:ghug3
Old 08-12-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, Needtochange, and welcome to SR!

I, too, know that feeling of waking up in the morning feeling disgusting - mentally and physically...not being 100% in the day, never knowing which night I'd be able to drink normally and which night would end on a binge. Ugh, it's exhausting!!

You've got a long stretch of sobriety behind you (congrats on that!), and you can definitely do it again. Great decision.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello needtochange7! It feels a bit odd for me to welcome you here since I just joined today, but welcome! You are not alone. I am pretty much in the same boat as you are. I got smashed last night, called in sick for work today because of a bad hangover and feel the usual guilt, shame etc. Like you, am sick of living this way and want to live a sober life. We can do this!!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please know that you are not alone.

Shame is one of the aspects of addiction that keeps us hooked. You can transform your shame into pride and courage as you begin to recover.

SR is my lifeline.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!

As Anna said the guilt and shame caused by our drinking can seem overwhelming. It get's better with time. Do you have a plan to stop drinking? Many of us have tried to do it on our own and found that very difficult. I finally gave up and went to AA and that has made a big difference (along with SR).