Notices

Is telling the doc still important?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Is telling the doc still important?

I quit drinking on my own at the beginning of July with no notable withdrawal symptoms. Since then, I did drink once and am now back on track at day 14. I am going to the doc on Monday for results of recent blood tests. My doc has been monitoring cholesterol and blood sugar levels. I have had the forms for the bloodwork for about four months and just got them done. I was in the process of quitting and I guess I wanted to make some progress before getting the tests done again. Anyway, my doc and I have never talked about my drinking (is it possible there are no signs and that he may be unaware?)

now that I have quit, is it still important that I tell him,

a) how much I did drink; and

2) that I have quit?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I think the more information the doc has the better he can access you and treat you.
I know it's scary to tell your doc but I think it's important for your doc to know all they can about you.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some information should be communicated... if only to discuss avoiding certain meds that might set off a relapse... also, if there are abnormal blood tests that might be from drinking, you might not need a whole bunch of other tests since the doc will know.

You don't have to tell him all the gory details, unless you want or need to...

That's my opinion... But if the doctor asks you a question, needs to know something... answer completely and honestly.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Yes, I do plan on answering honestly if any questions are asked. I guess I am worried about having to divulge the "gory details" as you say, mark. Maybe everything is ok physically and I could just keep my mouth shut?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

It's your LIFE. Doc is there to help. I offer all info I can because I am worth it. Docs don't look for things unless you clue them in. I wouldn't wait to be asked, the questions may not be asked.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

your doctor is not a psychic. If you have been drinking a lot for an extended period of time, it is to your benefit to be truthful...my guess is that he/she will order up a full panel of liver function tests to see if you have damage.

and would order a repeat of tests in 3 months time to see if there is a difference in your staying sober.

you would want to know now rather than later.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My opinion...

Tell the doctor you quit drinking because you became dependent/addicted/abused, whatever, and that you quit drinking completely. Tell him or her when you quit. Explain that you want to avoid medication that might cause a relapse... pain meds, "nerve pills" (like xanax), etc...

That's my opinion only, others may feel differently.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There may be things that show up from your bloodwork due to drinking in the past. If your doc doesn't know you drank they may conclude you have another condition and you can be misdiagnosed. I would be honest about it. After all you have been sober for a little while now which is great. I'm sure your doctor will be glad you aren't drinking and will only help you recover properly.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would recommend telling him the honest truth - how much and how long. If you've already quit you likely won't be scolded but supported.

I also say this because I had a build up of proteins in my blood that was caused by lack of folic acid - which was caused by regular maintenance drinking.

In January those proteins were responsible for having a blood clot in my lung - a condition that can be fatal.

The doctor will certainly want to check your vitamin levels. If your v levels are low nourishing your body can help your recovery (paraphrase from "Under the Influence").
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Thanks everyone. I guess I just keep thinking, if I have already quit and nothing major has come up, why put myself through it? Realistically though, I suppose he oughtta know, for my own good
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My guess is that it will be a lot easier than you think... "I used to drink way too much, I quit doing that and I want to be sure any treatment I recieve for anything won't make me drink again..." Enough said...

Simple... Ya Know?? Don't sweat it.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

I agree with Mark on this. I wouldn't go into all the "gory" details - Good luck!

Oh and your siggy ROCKS. Mad Season - I adore (and AIC w/ Layne) and "Wake Up" is my favorite song by them. RIP Layne

Up over my avatar is a line from an AIC song Which you probably know! lol
-Jess
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by iliveforyou View Post
I agree with Mark on this. I wouldn't go into all the "gory" details - Good luck!

Oh and your siggy ROCKS. Mad Season - I adore (and AIC w/ Layne) and "Wake Up" is my favorite song by them. RIP Layne

Up over my avatar is a line from an AIC song Which you probably know! lol
-Jess
Thanks! For the advice and the comment. Indeed, RIP - my goal is to not end up like Layne. Loved the guy, but i still get pissed at him occasionally. AIC still rocks, but not quite the same. Thank god for Jerry! And Love, Hate, Love...word!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always in our best interests to give our doctors all the information we have, Cerebus

D