Notices

Options

Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Options

Are there other options than AA. I liked my first meeting, however the religious affiliation is kind of a turn off. What do you reccommend?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

It is not a religious program.

Kinda like saying you won't eat purple potatoes because of it's color.

I just know I am not angry today. That everything in my life is smooth. That when I have a difficult situation, I know what to do and it works out ok. That I know me very well today. That I am busy and I have people who care and sober friends and activities. That I am content and happy and I laugh so much every day.

I didn't have this when I drank. When I drank life was one chore after another, if anything got done since I was too busy judging the world, being angry, and spending money & time drinking.

There are other programs available. I did a search and found many!

Best wishes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They made us say "our father" at the end of the meeting.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Secular Organizations for Sobriety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing you can try is to go to other meetings from different groups. Find one you connect with. If it still bothers you, then maybe find someone to talk to at AA and let them know your reservations. Your reaction to AA is quite common.

Also, you could find a therapist and work him/her. They can also help you find alternative options to AA.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

No one makes you say that. It is said, I don't as the religious part (for example that prayer, chanting as a group) I just don't do. I say my silent prayers, but I do help create a circle in respect to "together we can do what we can't do alone." I know many who don't stand in the circle. Nothing is done by me that I disagree with. If anyone disagrees, that isn't my problem today. I take what I want.

If someone chooses Jesus, that is their choice. I do try to hear a messege of sobriety.

My higher power is life. My heart keeps beating. I survived a major auto accident on my way home from work one day, sober. Life wants me alive. I stopped drinking, went to meetings, drank AGAIN. I became emotionally Empty 2 years later, drank nonstop for a week, heart kept beating, then I surrendered to powerlessness over alcohol, people, places & things.

I am not saying you need to return, but for me, it is working. The steps help ME.

You can find a happy medium for you in any program. Or, like others, make your own.

The one constant for me is acceptance of any person and their method of staying sober. The one constant that I observe in staying stopped is the help of one person helping another, which is why I love Sober Recovery. Agree or disagree or misinterpret me, we can stay sober together! That's beautiful!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by Phillyphan8811 View Post
Are there other options than AA. I liked my first meeting, however the religious affiliation is kind of a turn off. What do you reccommend?
I did an inpatient treatment program 3-4 days a week for 9 months, then a long term recovery program once a week. Just medical professionals guiding you to sobriety, no religious stuff involved. Worked for me, I'm 14 months sober. Went to a few AA meetings but they weren't my cup tea also because of the religious associations. If a treatment program isn't for you, there's lifering, a secular recovery group which I enjoyed. Good luck
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Tons of info here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html
Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, I appreciate the information!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

There are many options Philly. For sure AA is not the only way.

I just wanted to share my experience with you. I felt the same as you not too long ago. I finally got to the point where I realized AA is a spiritual program, not religious. I can believe in any higher power I choose .... a door knob even. I stayed away from AA for a long time because the word God is in the steps .... some days, it still makes me cringe. Also, I choose not to recite the Lord's Prayer at the end of the meetings. Just remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

I'm not trying to push AA in any way I just wanted to share my experience with you so you know you're not alone in feeling the way you do. Heck, even atheists can recover in AA.

But, if it's not for you, it's not for you. I think as long as you find something that works and make a commitment to it you'll be good.

Good luck!!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The steps seem all related to a higher power... That's what I noticed.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

The steps seem all related to a higher power... That's what I noticed.
Well, not all of them are, but yes most are.
It is a spiritual program.
For me, I had to separate it from any religion.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I really think it will help, i guess i need to find a way to make it work.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I really think it will help, i guess i need to find a way to make it work.
That's what I had to do and it wasn't easy.

I've always said, my AA program and my recovery, all involved a bunch of things I really didn't want to do. I was so desperate that I was willing to try anything. I had these happy people telling me it worked for them, so I gave it a shot. So far, it's working for me and I've never been happier.

Find what works for you and work it.
Don't put anything aside until you give it a fair shot. That goes for any type of recovery method. Just give it a fair shot.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I used AVRT from Rational Recovery, which does not use any support groups, but for those who want group support, there is SMART Recovery. There is also LifeRing Secular Recovery. From my time on the LifeRing forums, they seemed pretty non-dogmatic and allowed for any combination of approaches from their members.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Read the book Alcoholics Anonymous to give a better understanding. If you believe that a Group Of Drunks can stay stopped, so can you. Contempt prior to investigation got me drunk, not sober. And I continue to clean, looking to find what I thought I had in my hand! Obsessing and second guessing....
Old 08-12-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a lot of motivations in my life right now. It does seem as though cutting ties with drinking friends (temp) may help. I'm going to a second aa meeting in my first week at a different location. It'd be nice if there was some other people in there twenties, just to relate with. The people i met seemed great though. I'm not judging them, just feel a bit awkard with the prayer.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

I feel the same way you do philly. The religious overtones, particularly, for me, being powerless over my addiction, are off putting. Of course my religious views are decidedly less than mainstream and I dislike groups, lol. Anyway the point being if you are feeling uncomfortable the program likely won't work for you and there definitely ARE options. See how the next meeting goes and also maybe check out some of the excellent options some others have already mentioned.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think that is a good idea. I don't live in a main city (outside harrisburg). Options other than AA seem limited. Other than treatment centers and what not.