Notices

Help with recovery

Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help with recovery

Hi I am new to sobriety and feel like I need as much help as I can get.When all the memories started coming back and my back gave out and couldn't work anymore I had to move my family into public housing I felt like such a failure.My kids are struggling to adapt to living here and money is tight something they are not use to and I turned to alcohol to just turn everything black.I am sober now,but the pressure is already getting to me and I don't want to let my kids down anymore then they have been.I have 3 kids a girl 14,a boy 10,and a girl 6.I went from middle class making $1200 a week to homeless for 3 months and now public housing getting $788.39 a month in an instant.And it's very hard explaining to the young ones and sometimes I just can't face them so I drank.I'm just looking to stay sober any help will help tips etc.Thanks to all.Jonathan.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

I too had to leave my job and move into government houseing due to health issues. I hope yours is as pleasant as mine is....

Congratulations on being sober.......that is the very best thing for you and your children,
They will get connected with new school friends....and that will help them adjust I do think.

I use AA for my recovery from alcoholism....it really works great for me and people there understand

Please keep moving forward and stay in touch with us.
Blessings to you and your 3 children.

Last edited by CarolD; 08-11-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh Jonathan, I would come a hold your kids while you looked for a job. Please know you are not alone. Your kids love you and they love you. Is it possible that you can take them and yourself to a grassy spot and you can hug and breath in some fresh air during this time of year and look up and take in the sun that will help to heal and give you motivation. Take care.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

yea , welcome to the road of recovrery, its a bitch but keep on keepin on
Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jonathan

I'm really sorry for your circumstances but it's great you're sober - it really is the best position to deal with everything from.

Have you got anything in the way of real life support for your recovery yet?
You'll find a lot of support here anyway

Welcome!
D
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

haven't posted in awhile was in the hospital,ended up having severe esophagitis,gastritis and duodenitis,woke up and couldn't really swallow everything even water felt like razor blades.They said they also biopsied for cancer.My God did that word send shivers,God must be telling me something if that wasn't a warning I don't know what would be.Hope everyone is well.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Public housing has alcohol programs. I don't know how you can afford alcohol, your kids need you & food & clothes, etc.
Bestt wishes!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Try AA. Miracles happen.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry you're going through such a hard time, Jonathan. I understand the need to want to settle into oblivion to escape from problems (even for just a little while), but in reality, alcohol just makes everything worse and the problems are still there when you wake up.

This is a great place for support. Hope you stick with it!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jacem5,
Your situation sounds tough, especially when you have kids and they have to go through it. Listening to the news the other day I heard that one in six Americans are on or below the poverty line. The American dream is turning into a nightmare.

It is good that you have been able to stop drinking and you see the need for support.
I use AA and this forum to keep me sober, relying more on this forum lately as I can't get to meetings.
I am 109 days sober and the difference is astounding, my moods are beginning to stablilise, molehills are just that now, molehills.
All I can offer is hope and the belief that life will get better the longer you are sober, that is my experience.

In your first post you mentioned memories coming back. Is there a connection?

My thoughts and best wishes for your recovery.

CaiHong