Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I have never joined any kind of chat room before so please bear with me.

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

I am Betty. I found your website when I was looking to find parents who have lost their children and drinking has since become a problem. My son, Stephen, was killed on September 6th, 2008 while working on a cattle station in Australia (we live in Canada). It is so hard. I drink a bottle of wine every second night. I have lost perspective, I have those days of the week and more because it takes me the next day to recover. I really want to quit and I know it won't be easy. I want to know what vitamins I can take to get me over the second day and then I may have many more questions to ask.

Thank you so much,

Betty
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hi Betty. Welcome, and thanks for joining us. I am very sorry for the circumstances in your life that have led you here. I have never experienced anything that traumatic in my own life, but I know there are those here who have been through great tragedies and come out on the other side of them.

I do have experience with drinking, especially drinking to deal with or cover up or suppress certain feelings. I found that the drinking kept me in a loop; it added to the pain I was feeling, which led me to drink even more. Come to think of it, it's probably less like a loop and more like a whirlpool, going round and round and spinning faster and faster until you finally get sucked down the hole.

I know from experience that it is possible to put the bottle down after struggling with it for years. I know what it's like to think there is no light at the end of the tunnel, no way out of the darkness...But I promise you, there is always a way out. There's always a chance to make your life a better one.

As far as vitamins that you can take, that's something with which I do not have any experience. When I stopped drinking, I didn't take anything to help me. I just spend a lot of time on these forums and in the rooms of AA, listening to and talking with people who shared my problems, people with experiences similar to mine.

Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous. If you have the means, it would be a good idea to speak with a physician regarding your drinking habits and desire to stop drinking. Aside from that I can't really give you any advice, other than to try to stay hydrated.

Sorry for such a long-winded welcome, but I'm very glad you're here. I hope you'll hang around a while.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Betty

As an Australian I feel especially sad for you and the loss of your son.
I'm very glad you're here with us though.

Have you gone through any kind of grief counselling, Betty?

Drinking really is the worst way to try and get over grief - in my experience it just serves to make us relive our pain over and over...

You're among friends here. We're glad to have you with us

D
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How tragic and I'm so sorry for your loss Betty.

Before jumping into any drastic supplements or vitamins it's best to have
a general check up to see what exactly you might or might not need

You can read all sorts of hype about x or y or z....but you really don't
know what you have depleted until you have an honest talk with a doctor.

Thanks for joining with us....please do keep posting many of us are winning over alcohol....
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Betty, and welcome to SR.

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I also drank, after losing my younger sister in 2008. I spent the next three years in the bottom of a wine bottle to 'drown my sorrows' and to escape those feelings, they were too painful. I am now nearly four months sober, and finding dealing with her death in a much more healthy way. I pray you can do the same, too.

Glad you are here with us on SR.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Betty, I am sorry for your lose.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply. I know I will be O.K. It takes time and I need to give myself time - it is easier when you go to work eveyday etc. I need to take time off and that feels scary. I will hold your sister in my heart as well. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss, Betty. I cannot begin to imagine the pain of losing a child. There is a lot of support here especially if you want to stop drinking. Welcome!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Betty, and I, too am so sorry for your loss.

We have lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

to SR.