Notices

Confused about withdrawal

Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Confused about withdrawal

My husband and I are getting ready to address our drinking problems as soon as we can figure out a way to get health insurance and get into treatment. I'd like to start at least trying to have more "sober nights" between now and then, but am wondering about the risks of sober nights and potentially dangerous withdrawal. My assumption has always been that if you're not having fairly significant withdrawal symptoms such as shakes, during the day when not drinking (we only drink in the evenings), you're not at risk for the more serious, life threatening withdrawal symptoms (dts, heart problems, seizure).

However, we have recently been told (by a treatment intake person, so not sure whether to trust or not trust! cuz he could be trying to convince us we NEED his medically monitored program rather than outpatient) that quitting on our own at home without meds or monitoring puts us at risk for danger such as seizure. Really? Even if we get through the day, and occasionally more than 2 days without drinking, without significant symptoms. I do have some anxiety some days (but I am prone to that anyway) and if we drink a more than typical amount we might feel like crap, but not generally suffering too much, so is it really possible that we could have heart problems or a seizure three days into sobriety after feeling pretty good?

Thanks for your time and information.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Lisa!!

Have you spoken to your doctor about these concerns?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome to SR!

I'm not sure about this, would be good to run it by your doctor to be sure.

Best of luck in your recovery! You can always depend on us for support when the time comes.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LisaLisaLisa
Welcome

The thing about withdrawal is its unpredictable.

You could detox without apparent ill effect hundreds of times, like I did...you could feel no worse than usual after a drinking session, like I did.....and yet I ended up with several mini strokes on the night of my last drink.

I'm not suggesting that will happen to you - but my point is noone here can give you a cast iron assurance - you may be ok, maybe not.

People do have seizures, and some people do die from alcohol withdrawal.
It's serious business.

It's always good to check with a Dr or other medical professional.

Get a second opinion if you feel this other guy is acting in his own self interests.
D
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hhm.. I cant say for sure, but from what happened to me, as long as in the day when you're not drinking, your hands are not shaking and you feel fine, then there should be little symptoms. Those would be nightsweats, the vivid dreams, soon insomnia for a while and thats about it.

BUT, if your hands shake and all you can think of is the next drink, boy was I on a ride then. I refused to go to the doctor then when i had it (2 yrs back), and at nights i would have this "mini seizures" as i like to call them. My hands and legs would move so involuntarily i once ended up punching my face and tearing my lips and all i wanted to do was wipe the saliva that was dripping from my mouth. It goes away, but the BEST thing to do is to go to the doctor!

Oh and as Dee74 said, its best to see a doctor! You couldn't have said it better Dee74! Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited by Suresh; 08-10-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added content
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

From my experience, your "intake treatment person" is indeed telling you some truth, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he should be your approach to quitting drinking. I would definitely proceed with caution under any circumstances, though. I also wholeheartedly agree with all of the follow-up posts above as well.

Your story is very similar to mine in many repsects, for I was strictly an evening drinker, and for some reason I was able to carry on in life without many people knowing I was an alcoholic. In addition, on occasion I was able to abstain from drinking for three or four days without the skakes or any kind of withdrawal symptons. All it took for me was one night of binge drinking to send me spiraling into a whirlwind of anxiety and panic attacks where it felt as though I might have been having a stroke or a heart attack. It was at that point I decided to quit, and I really regret not seeking treatment of some kind, because my detox period was absolutely horrible. Even after I had quit drinking for about three weeks while feeling better, I over-exerted myself while shoveling snow and ended up with a mild heart attack followed by a two-day hospital visit. In the end, not only did I have anxiety/panic attacks as well as a heart attack during withdrawal, but my blood pressure was through the roof, too. I honestly wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone.

So, when people tell you that withdrawal can be dangerous and deadly, believe it! I would suppose that the severity of withdrawal symptoms can vary depending on how much one drinks, but if someone has been drinking regularly and heavily for a relatively long period of time, my guess is that the withdrawal process will be all that much more severe. At the very least, I'd seriously consider consulting with a doctor so that you can have a sobriety plan of some kind to ensure that your detox period becomes as tolerable and painless as possible.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do talk to your doctor and get his opinion on what you should do.

I'm glad you are seeking help for your alcoholism. I don't want to be negative, but I caution you about doing this with your spouse. It may not go well.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

I'm glad you are seeking help for your alcoholism. I don't want to be negative, but I caution you about doing this with your spouse. It may not go well.
Can you please add some reasons why, Anna? I too am trying with my spouse and am curious what the pitfalls may be. I don't mean to hijack this thread, so just let me know if I should start a new one here!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I can't answer for you or Anna, but each person has a path of sobriety to work on. It does take work.

Anna?........???....curious minds want to know! lol
Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Englishrose70

Lisa, first of all its great that you and your husband are
a. Seriously embarking on this path
b. Taking it seriously enough to seek the best way for you guys to do it

Please read Dee's post over, Dee's post is bang on the money in terms of the exact advice your thread was seeking. Thanks Dee.

Anna? Also curious, thanks for picking up Cerbs.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi LisaLisaLisa - Thanks for sharing your story with us. As others have said, there's no way we can predict what might happen as you detox - but I was warned not to white-knuckle it on my own. I did it anyway, and my blood pressure spiked dangerously. I could've had a seizure or stroke. Please be careful.

Glad you found SR and we hope to hear more about your journey towards a better life. Congratulations on wanting to make this change.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a little freaked out after reading all of these replies. I've been sober for 37 days and I quit cold turkey, no detox, rehab or anything. Am I in the clear as far as withdrawl goes???
Old 08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no doctor but I'd think it a pretty safe bet you'd be in the clear after 37 days beachlove

Not everyone has problems - but some do - and it's near impossible to predict what side of the fence you may be on.

D
Old 08-11-2011, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can not speak for Anna but I would think that quitting with a spouse can be dangerous for the simple fact that sobriety is a journey best walked alone.
Everyone is on a different level, a different path, a different thought process. Pair quitting is nice in the sense that you have a buddy to quit with but you also have a buddy to relapse with.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thank you

Thank you all for your kind words and sage advice. Well, not thank you for the major anxiety I have been experiencing since reading them, , but thank you anyway!! :-) I guess I will keep drinking, though try to keep it at low-average consumption, until I can get the medical advice and treatment. Hoping I can work that out, at least for myself, in the next week. Of course because I live in a state with junk health insurance and no medicaid options, even if I were unemployed (Oregon), I have to go to my home state, the land of treatment and social services (guess which state), do a little lying, and try to do so! Wish me well! Hoping to be in inpatient treatment by the first of the month! And again, thanks for your support! I'll be back!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

check out free clinics - google free clinics and where you are now...also check these site out...

Human Services in Oregon | Human Services in Washington | 211info

I'd hate you to keep drinking because you can't get to medical professionals.
I don't think that's the outcome anyone here wants for you

D
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have a question. I am a binge drinking trying to quit. i can go a few month, but then i spend days in a black out drinking. I go to AA, been to rehab and detox. The withdrawal symptoms i get from a binge are intolerable at time. Freezing cold extremities, clammy and coarse skin, crazy headaches, terrible nausea and gaging and vomiting, chapped lips with very sensitive gums and teeth, extreme fatigue with insomnia, anxiety and confusion, and i could keep going. Now, i plan to stay sober from here on, but as im sure some can relate, it doesnt always end up that way. What can i do besides a medical detox to help with these!? thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

welcome Lisa! I'm a Lisa as well, lol. Withdrawl symptoms like vertigo and shakes can take as long as 4I hours since the last drink to manifest so only being off the drink one or two days may not be enough time for symptoms to appear. Let me continue that I am not a medical professional so I am only offering my personal advice and experience. If you at any time feel the need to see a doctor, go!

I've done medical detox twice and detoxed on my own. I've had a seizure at least once (I suspect twice) while detoxing at home and it was terrifying. First time I medically detoxed, I was told that my potassium was so low I was at risk of a heart attack. I was only 30. I understand waiting for insurance. Some people have luck stepping down to avoid the sympoms associated with stopping cold turkey. I couldn't. At the very least, step up your water intake. Watered down blue gatorade is good and V8 is excellent for potassium and vitamins. Start a quality multivitamin. At my last stay in detox they also gave me a folic acid suppliment so I started that. Eat as healthy as you can. Many alcoholics tend to either eat junk or not eat at all.

Brogue14, the only way to avoid withdrawl is to not drink, of course. Are you seeing a psychiatrist (sp?)? Are you on anti-craving meds and/or a sleep aid? I find that if I go off my meds, I am almost definately going to binge or go on a bender. This is especially true if I stop taking my sleep aid (a non-hallucinogen). My advice is the same as the advice I have for Lisa. In a way, you don't really want there to not be any physical discomfort after drinking. If withdrawl was easy, we'd all stay alcoholics. It's a time to by as physically miserable sobering up as we are psycholigically miserable when we are drinking.