Notices

WCD - I would like some advice

Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

WCD - I would like some advice

A friend of mine, who goes to AA, told me that, starting this weekend, he plans to drink "just on weekends".

So, he will attempt to become the world's first WCD (Weekend Controlled Drinker)...at least, that's what I coined him, right after he told me this.

I'm sorry if I sound so tongue-in-cheek, dry humour, sarcastic, what have you....but, I've heard tell of folks in AA meetings (both closed and open), who have ventured forth into the wide world of booze, on a Quest to see if they could become a WCD....and it always ended horribly.

I believe in Step 1...I am powerless over alcohol...based on that premise, who the )&(()*^(*^ cares if I only drink 2 days out of 7....I mean....REALLY.

So, I, myself, will not venture forth on the Nina, the Pinta, OR the Sainta Maria (sorry, reference to Christopher Columbus, there), looking for a Brave New World of WCD. I am sure that 99% of my fellow SR'ers will agree with me.

Thoughts?

K out
Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I tried that. Didn't work for me.

Some people just need to prove it to themselves over and over again.

Pray for him.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

If he's an alcoholic, he's fooling himself. Glad he's not fooling you, or that you don't try the same thing. Maybe he'll figure it out at some point, but maybe not.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, I decided to only drink one weekend--it ended up being the longest damn weekend of my life.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree completely.

Most of us have tried that approach.

I certainly did.

But we all know what happens. I would wait til Friday then BANG, drinkin day!

Next thing I know it's Sunday morning (Saturday is a total blur), hungover, and need a few more drinks to kill the hangover. Then it's Monday morning and I'm skipping work.

Then a few weeks later, it's Thursday, so...what the hell...tomorrow's Friday, I can start one day early.

Then it's Wednesday, then Tuesday....

It won't work for me but more power to your friend if it works for him!

-SD
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've kind of come to the conclusion that even if I could manage CWD or any "normal" drinking again, what would be the possible point? I used to dream about and try to be a "normal" drinker, now any kind of drinking, alcoholic or not, just holds no appeal. My life is so much better and healthier. I like the 5th precept of Buddhism--not to drink intoxicating liquor that clouds one's mind.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nope doesn't work for me. Tried switching types of alcohol...tried controlled drinking...tried just weekends. No alcoholic beverage on any day...not for this alkie.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My wife was supposed to stop with me on 7/25/11, we made a pact months in advance. That Monday came, I stopped, she decided she would try the "just drink on the weekends" thing. How's it working? Um, not so good. First off, she starts drinking "openly" Friday night, and then drinks most of Saturday and Sunday. Plus, I think she doesn't think I know, but she's pretty much drinking most every day (she thinks she can hide it, but we can smell our own).

Now, she has come right out and said she's an alcoholic, but..."when I put my mind to something...". HA!!!!!!

The only thing that bothers me about the whole thing, is that we had discussed this for a very lllloooonnnnnngggggg time and then she backed out when "the day" arrived.

But, I'm worrying about me, she's a big girl and needs to take responsibility for her own actions.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Toying with an addictive poison every weekend is bound to lead to problems.

His urge to drink should be worrying even in itself.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was once sober for 3 yrs. One night I was on a date & decided to have "a glass or two" of wine. (Surely I could use my willpower?) The glass or two turned into 10. Next day, by noon I was having a 'hair of the dog'. I continued to drink for 7 more years - this time my life turned into a living hell & I nearly didn't make it.

For me, there's no control - no matter how much I wanted it to be possible. Alcohol took charge of me each & every time, with dangerous & life-threatening results.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Well, tell your friend good luck with his "research" and that you'll be seeing him again soon (provided he's lucky enough to make it back). Make sure to give him a round of applause for attempting something that no alcoholic has ever dared attempt before. (speaking of sarcasm....)

People who can control their drinking don't have to control their drinking. Furthermore, people who can control their drinking aren't usually described as "a friend of mine, who goes to AA".

I'm just saying.

--Fenris.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jury is In

Based on the LIMITED replies in thus far, I can definitely say that EVEN JUST weekend alcohol imbibing is Bad...with a capital "B".

K out
Old 08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Anyone can attend an AA meeting. Controlled drinking is not a part of that program.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Wouldn't work for me, but I learned long ago never to judge what will work for someone else.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You are powerless over him, as you are powerless over your own disease.

That is like me saying, I am only going to do heroin on Thursdays. Hmmm? What is wrong with that picture? That is like me saying I am only going to do cocaine before my finals...

I am powerless over all chemicals that alter my state of mind, ALL THE TIME, every day. There is no casual drinking for me. The Big Book talks about this... maybe you can review it. Or he can too. We, who have this disease, cannot control it.

Thanks for sharing this with us... I hope he is okay and you are too. But there is a certain point where you have to let go as a friend and protect your recovery.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're on the right track, Kelly. No weekend or any other type of drinking for me either. Not even up for debate.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I was once sober for 3 yrs. One night I was on a date & decided to have "a glass or two" of wine. (Surely I could use my willpower?) The glass or two turned into 10. Next day, by noon I was having a 'hair of the dog'. I continued to drink for 7 more years - this time my life turned into a living hell & I nearly didn't make it.
Thank you for sharing this.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're welcome ETA. I only wish I had those 7 years back.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My wife says she is "quasi-sober". Let's see, I know for a fact she drank last Thursday night, Friday night, most of Saturday and Sunday, Monday night, Tuesday night, and tonight. Yup, Kelly I think your friend could get some valuable pointers from her, she's obviously got quite a grasp on what you call WCD (that's funny, by the way).
Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by KellyEurope View Post
So, he will attempt to become the world's first WCD (Weekend Controlled Drinker)...at least, that's what I coined him, right after he told me this.
I myself tried that a couple of hundred times. It worked maybe 20% of the time (at first). Then it became less and less reliable as time went on.