Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

August 8-9-10-11 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 08-10-2011, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

August 8 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

We hear it said that Al-Anon members do not give each other advice. This refers specifically to the kind of advice that suggests taking drastic action to bring about a radical change in a marriage relationship. This we do not – and must not – do.

In other ways, we in Al-Anon give a great deal of advice. We suggest looking into ourselves for the causes of our problems; we advise dependence on God’s guidance. We recommend lots of Al-Anon reading, the study of the Twelve Steps and the slogans. We suggest spiritual ways to find a new perspective and new strength and share our personal experience to applying them.

TODAY’S REMINDER

When I am greatly troubled by an insoluble problem, I will gladly accept the advice of my fellow members that I concentrate on a slogan or a Step in finding a solution. I know that constructive action can be taken only after I have lifted my thoughts and emotions out of their confused state.

Using the slogans and the Twelve Steps will strengthen me to make wise decisions.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Present

August 9 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

I know how easy it is to let anger well up inside me at the thought of someone who has injured me. What is much more difficult is to take a detached view so we can stop the building up of this “head of steam.” Unless I do this, it will explode, damaging me and everything around me.

When we are frustrated in our desire to punish the one we’re angry at, we may take it out on innocent bystanders, sometimes even our own children, those young lives which God has entrusted to our hands. Surely we have an obligation – a duty of love – to avoid aggravating the emotional damage that the drinking parent may already be inflicting on them.

TODAY’S REMINDER

There are many good reasons to keep myself from harboring resentful thoughts. They can grow into savage attacks on other human beings. Another good reason for quieting my anger before it gets out of hand is to prevent the emotional scars it can leave on me.

“If any man among you seem to be religious and bridleth not his tongue, he deceiveth his own heart; this man’s religion is vain.” (General Epistle of James)
Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Present

August 10 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

In the book of Ecclesiasticus we read: “The stroke of the tongue breaketh the bones. Weigh they words in a balance and make a door and a bar for thy mouth. Envy and wrath shorten the life.”

This statement speaks directly for the Al-Anon program. We are constantly being reminded that we are working to improve ourselves, to protect ourselves from the influences of confusion, anger and resentment.

In these words from the Bible, we have a direct recommendation to check our part in the difficulties we have with others. And the reason it gives – our own benefit – is equally valid in Al-Anon teachings.

TODAY’S REMINDER

Let me reflect on how much damage I may have done, and may still do, by saying the first thing that comes to mind. Let me realize that the worst reaction of unbridled anger falls upon me. What I say in a single moment of uncontrolled rage can have inconceivable long-range consequences.

“Be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath, for the truth of man worketh not the righteousness of God.”
Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Present

August 11 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

Even with a growing understanding of Al-Anon philosophy, we might find it difficult to accept such a statement as this:

“Al-Anon is a way to personal freedom.”

Suppose I feel like a prisoner, trapped in an irksome way of life, as so many of us do. What am I doing about it? My obvious impulse is to try to manipulate the things and people around me into being more acceptable to me. Do I argue, rage and weep to make my spouse behave in a way that I think will make me happier? Happiness isn’t won that way.

Freedom from despair and frustration can come only from changing, in myself, the attitudes that are maintaining the conditions that cause me grief.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I have the power to set myself free by conquering the personal shortcomings that chain me to my problems. And not the least of these is the short-sightedness that has made me refuse to accept responsibility for the way I am.

“Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.”
Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking the time to post these. I don't have a book yet. August 9/10/11 speaks right to me now in a very big way. I have such long way to go to work on myself.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

MD1, thanks so much for posting these. I, too, needed August 9th and 10th's readings. I don't know if its the gloom and doom on the news lately, or a full moon rising, or PMS, or just plain old crankiness, but I have been miserable the last two days and how easy it is to look for others to blame. Learning to keep my mouth shut and go be alone somewhere has been one of the best lessons learned so far...but sometimes I need the reminders...