Notices

From My Heart

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unhappy From My Heart

I LOVE SR, and most of you who know me know how I feel. I am passionate about this place.

SR has been a home for me since 2003. I have friends here who I love dearly and trust completely. I try to give back to SR whenever I can, but the truth is that SR and its members have given more to me than I can ever give back.

It upsets me and saddens me when I see threads that involve endless bickering. Bickering, arguing, sniping are not, and has never been, part of my recovery. And, I am so grateful for that. I am grateful that I am able to overlook the threads that deteriorate into into bashing. I am grateful that I knew instinctively, to search for posts that are uplifting, posts that discuss honest struggles, posts that show me that the member is inviting positivity into his/her life, rather than negativity.

No one's program is better or worse than anyone else's. We are all on this recovery journey together and we can choose to help each other, or we can choose to stop our journey and point fingers at others. I will never do that.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks so much for that Anna - you expressed it way more eloquently, and yet more simply than I ever could

D
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Thanks so much for that Anna - you expressed it way more eloquently, and yet more simply than I ever could

D
She certainly expressed it with more finesse than I would have. I often lack that special touch. :-)

Well said.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completly agree. We are taking a journey together, sometimes our ways divide and then we unite again. We all have the same goal! To get better and recover, and we should keep it in this spirit
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Thank you!

This has been causing me distress lately. I just want to come here without having to feel defensive, offended or belittled.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

agreed anna

all in our dysfunctional SR sober family! lol

our aim, to take the negative, and turn it positive

SR, wouldn't leave home without it
Old 08-08-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Thumbs up

Thanks for all you do Anna. You have an attitude I wouldn't mind catching.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We are on the same side.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you SR...ever so grateful.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree, Anna - I'm not an argumentative person & hate seeing that sort of thread here. That's why I avoid certain forums, though I'd like to venture beyond "Newcomers" more than I do. I've followed threads that have been very helpful, only to have them descend into personal attacks. It's hurtful and upsetting. (Of course I'm not talking about a civilized discussion where everyone shares ideas.)

It's only natural to be passionate about the program we've had success with - but there's no excuse for intolerance - here of all places.

Thank you for speaking your mind, Anna. You are very much loved & appreciated here.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was saddened today also. When I joined SR it was like a second family to me, sometimes the only family I had. I agree with Anna's very eloquent post. I've also avoided posts when I knew something was brewing. There is just no need for it. We have such a lovely sight here and many different points of view. Which in itself makes SR such a terrific place.

There's an old saying "If you have nothing nice to say.....say nothing at all". I'm not talking about disagreeing.....just maybe in a gentler, kinder way. I know everyone is passionate about their recovery. I respect that!

Thanks Anna

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Amen
Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What I'm hoping for is that those who have been bashed come back, as I haven't seen them posting, to a kinder, gentler forum - and -

that newcomers posts for inquiries stop getting hijacked; a grave disservice to them.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess we have to accept people for who they are but we do not have to be around them. One of the greatest lessons learned in recovery is we have a choice who we spend time with. When I come across threads where peoples' egos have taken over I remind myself that people are recovering, they are not recovered. It takes time to unlearn all the defense mechanisms we have been using and choose a more straightforward, honest, non-prejudicial way to live.
SH
Old 08-09-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Well, today's a new day and every new day opens to new beginnings. May today bring peace, joy and unity in sobriety to us all.

"To Know what we do not know is the beginning of wisdom." **** Ram Dass
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Did I miss something?
Agreed...my plan or journey is NOT for anyone else. All I can do is talk of my experiences and hope that something I say touches someone or helps them along their way.
Arguing is useless negative energy that drains the heart. I learned that in my first marriage. LOL
Wishing you all peace and joy and living a sober day today.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

May today bring peace, joy and unity in sobriety to us all.

LOL I said almost the same thing you did coolfitz. LOL
Great minds think alike. Have a great day...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Anna, I totally agree with you here.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It upsets me and saddens me when I see threads that involve endless bickering. Bickering, arguing, sniping are not, and has never been, part of my recovery.
I must confess that is one of many reasons I left SR for the past couple of years. But I've come back recently, still sober. I think my HP nudged me back to start writing on my blog to share my E, S, and H with the newcomers.

I would not be sober today if it wasn't for you Anna and all the other people I know on here. SR is where I started my long journey back to sobriety.

So glad your here with us Anna and thank you for all the hard work you do on SR.

Barb
Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess I just haven't surfed around here enough, but I've actually been slightly surprised at the small amount of bickering I have seen. Either that or I subconsciously sense it and bail before getting too far in.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The road of recovery can be very bumpy. Sometimes it brings disagreements, as we all (hopefully) learn to be less judgmental and to respect one another. It would be beautiful if this respect could be extended towards our forum leaders in particular, who work so tirelessly, for many hours each day, to make SR a safe place for those of us who are seeking recovery - it's good to know that this is the case most of the time.

Anna - so grateful