Notices

Day 2 of Sobriety...Glad I found this site

Old 08-07-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 of Sobriety...Glad I found this site

Hi My name is Mary, so glad I found this site. I noticed I had a problem last year when I blacked out for the first time and found myself in a hotel room. I drinked on and off for about 10 years for special occasions or long weekends. I started drinking heavily during my divorce 5years ago and I had a sibling to die during that year. Driving drunk with open containers. I was caught once and the officers let me go. I just knew I was going to jail but he told me to go home. I was right in the middle of custody battle, if I would have gotten a DUI it would have been over. You would think that would have scared me straight but nope it didn't. Now my divorce is over and I'm still drinking and drunk dialing, texting, posting stupid facebook statuses. I come home and I order my kids dinner instead of giving them a healthy meal or I grab McDonalds. They can do whatever they want when I'm drunk, they play the playstation instead of doing homework or going to bed on time. I've been sober for two days straight and I'm finding out my triggers....I notice when I think back on the past and how my ex hurt me I want to drink to get rid of the thoughts or sometimes wanting to drinking to think them through.

Alcohol is effecting me at work, I call in sick for hangovers every week. It's affecting my finances, I receive a $7000 bonus at work and you know it all went to the liquor store except for like $2000 of it.... It's affecting my kids because I'm not being a good mom to them. I should be cooking their meals and making sure they get to bed on time. Today, I took my daughter to a birthday party normally I would be drunk all day on Saturday and wouldn't go anywhere. I waste so much drinking and smoking I just sit on my porch and waste my life away. I'm so sick of myself...I've gained so much weight probably from the daily drinking.

It's been Day 2 and I feel ok...I have some triggers but i've been writing them down...it's a real eyeopener.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mary

Support was very important for me when I quit...I'd drunk daily for so long that almost everything was a trigger for me...and some of those triggers I couldn't avoid...I just had to deal with them...

I really needed the support and advice of others to help me through stuff like that.
The good news you'll find a lot of support here

Welcome
D
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Mary -

Sounds like you've had a rough couple of years. I certainly know what it feels like to do dumb stuff when you're drunk and regret it later.

Like Dee said, support is huge. SR is a great place to find support. I also would recommend checking out a local support group (such as AA) at least once to see if it's a fit for you.

Best of luck in your recovery!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. I relate to the guilt about being a drunk mom. I hated myself for being drunk every day and then hungover, and too lazy to fix my son healthy meals, play with him, etc. I would want to sleep the weekends away, then drink, and he would be begging for me to play with him.

The good news is you don't have to do it anymore! This board is a good place to get support. I found AA to be the way out for me, but I know others have had success with other methods. Either way, welcome to the sober world.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, Mary - Glad you're here and wanting to get sober. Congratulations on day 2! I can relate to your story. As a single mom, I always felt like I deserved a drink or two at the end of the day. But it started interfering with my life and most of the time I was overwhelmed with just getting through the day.

Take it one day at a time and do whatever it takes to stay away from that first drink. Things will get better - you won't regret it.......:day6
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcomes....I'm thinking about going to AA anything that can help me before it gets worse.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

sr is an amazing place to be
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Mary,

Sounds like things have been rough on you, but you've already made it to day2, congratulations! Get help if possible, AA, doctor, therapist, psych, relatives, anyone, but help is GOOD!

And try not to think how you're gonna fare sober 1 month later, or 6 months later, just do it a day at a time, as others have already said! You've already mentioned what damage alcohol has done to you, and imagine a life without all that, and hard as it may be, isn't it all worth it at the end?

Best of luck and do keep us posted!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Mary...Sounds like your waking up from a terrible time in your life. I'm glad your addressing it now. You can get your life back on track! You will also start being proud of yourself instead of embarrassed. Take it one day at a time and stay with your resolve. You can turn all this around and find happiness once again. I'm happy you are seeking support, its so helpful.

Best Wishes To You!