Notices

Hit and Run. Car totaled...

Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Hit and Run. Car totaled...

Well, still not drinking, but some bad news...I feel like I am in some bad dream, still in shock, I suppose:

Well, day 17, but also some bad news. I posted this elsewhere, but guess I really feel the need to share/vent, here, I feel like this is a bad dream:

I can’t believe this. I went out to go to work, and saw my car: it had been struck while parked, and basically totaled. No note, no nothing. Half the whole front end is tore off, fluids leaking, totaled. The fron whell is totally detached, and on it's side, torn from the tie rod, break lines ripped apart, fluid everywhere, even under the engine/transmission. A 1998 Metro. And though I have insurance, it is just liability…somebody said it might pay something under the uninsured motorist clause, but I can’t reach them until Monday. Even so, it would probably be maybe $1,000 at most, given how old the car is, and the miles. But I doubt the policy covers anything.

So I got a police report. I’ll probably have it towed away tomorrow for parts. They were able to determine by the debris that it was a Toyota Tacoma that hit us, 2004, but sadly, they didn’t find a VIN on anything, and there were no witnesses.

The bad part is I now have no way to work…and no savings, and really, really bad credit and no way to really afford a car payment. In the short term, I can change my work hours…for a while, I hop…but I don’t know what will happen. If I lose this job, I lose my health insurance, and so does my mate…and it is not a good time to lose a job.

I will call my parents…I am so afraid to, though, I mean, at my age, I feel like I should have OK credit and all that, it makes me feel like some sort of failure, eldest son, smart and full of promise and…

My mind is just a scramble right now. I was gonna go to a local furry meet for the first time (those people who dress up like goofy animals and such) but as it meets way out at this mall, there is no public transportation there…I guess that is pretty minor, but still, I guess it reminds of all the limits now, without a car.

I guess I am still alive, and at least was not in an accident that involved injury.

But I just feel numb. I had just spent $400 fixing the car, and another $1,000 on the insurnace mess issue….and am beyond flat broke, with garnished wages for the next three months…this is not seem like the recipe for car shopping, somehow.

Anyway, I am going to keep a level head, and not go out and get drunk, or jump in front of a train, or anything like that….

But damn….I seem to have bad luck.

In a state of numb shock on day 17...

I just have to not let this act as a trigger.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey HuskyPup,

I couldn't sleep (its 3am here) and logged on to see what's happening in the forum and I am really shocked and deeply saddened by what has happened. There couldn't be anything worse happening to you right now. I feel for you. Sob...

I hope the S.O.B who did this ROTS if F'in HELL! But I am glad to hear you say you're not going to drink. Please please do not let this act as a trigger!

I hope, if you're free, get some rest, clear your head off and when you wake up only then proceed to do what you have planned. A short clear nap will help a lot.

My prayers are with you, hoping you get through this OK.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry, sometimes stuff in life sucks when we least expect it or deserve it. Terrible people don't take responsibility. I barely swiped a car in my parking lot at night, nobody around and I left a note. "Course they ripped my insurance off for way more than the damage and my rates went up, but...You're taking it well concidering how crappy it all is. Certainly drinkings not going to get you a new ride so this too shall pass. I have a Toyota Tacoma, now I feel guilt. Hang in there buddy.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words and prayers, Suresh.

And thnaks Fitz, yeah, it was quite a shock, so there was the initial anger and why me that seems natural in cases like this.

A Tacoma, eh? You don't happen to live in Baltimore ? Kidding. The police were able to tell my the pieces that is was a 2004 silver Toyota Tacoma, but there was no VIN on anything...there are some police cameras a few blocks up, so I am going to see if they can check them, if they took that route to get away. And if I see a dmaged Tacoma...well, I will take the plate # down.

I guess the plus side is that I am not drinking over this. Before, I would have headed straight to the nearest bar. But not now, so I am proud of that. Still on day 17.

I'm also trying to avoid too much self-pity, here. But there is just the fear of making a living, and all that, but I am not going to have too big a pity party. Accidents happen; the world is not a perfect place.

But at least I am not injured, there is that.

And it reminds me not to drink for another reason...I will not assume anything here, but the person could very likely have been drunk, on crack, or something, to have swerved that far from the lane they were in, and struck the car as they did, across two lanes, one going the opposite direction...and I do not want to be them, or become them, should they have been drunk. (or even if they were not drunk, to speed off, and not face things responsibly).

So maybe it is a positive, in a weird way, a reminder of how not to live, and how to live in a responsible way, inasmuch as humanly possible.

Again, thanks for the support, and yes, a nap sounds good.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry. I hope that insurance pays more than you're expecting, that they find the driver of the Takoma, and that you find alternate transportation. Good job on staying sober despite this setback.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've had a few minor crises since getting sober, and being sober didn't make them any better, it just made me better able to deal with them. Good for you on staying sober. It's worth it.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, my first thought was drunk or drugged but I didn't want to sterotype :-) My Tacoma is a forest green 1997, not drunk or drugged and haven't been to Baltimore for years though I don't have any witnesses. Hope things work out. Maybe your HP was testing you, probably not but you passed anyway.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that happened HP, but you sound like you have the right attitude

D
Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Not fair, HP - but I'm proud of you for not caving & trying to ease the pain with booze. It never, ever works the way we think it will - always backfires. We need to stay clearheaded to handle what life throws at us.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh wow! Glad you weren't in the car!!!!! I'm sorry you're now in a tough situation. Is there any public transportation? I can't even imagine!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to the bus rider club, but, liability may help, it wasn't moving at the time of accident.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Let me know about the cameras.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you have to deal with this and I hope that you are able to work out some reliable transportation.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the loss of your transportation. I know what it's like to be a victim of a hit and run driver. The first truck I bought new was hit after only a month of having it. It wasn't totaled but I had insurance hassles that took months to resolve.

I hope you find a way to get to work and meetings and that your situation improves.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...my main problem is that my position is near DC, I am in Baltimore, and the MARC trains do not run when I get out, so no way home...here is the biggest problem, I will see if I can work days for a few weeks, if I can get this sorted that fast. But my job desciption/memorandum of understanding entails hours that end at 11 PM Well, I will try everything I can.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about that Husky. I'm sure the Baltimore police can find who it was. I can't believe whoever it was didn't have the doolillies to leave a note or find out who's it was. That's ignorant. But maybe they were drinking and needed the time to sober up! Who knows.

I don't know what I'd do without my vehicle. I drive 35 miles one way to work. Last November I hit a deer causing $3500 in damages and guess what....I hit another one last Saturday night coming home causing ANOTHER $3500 after just finishing paying off the first incident. I know whatcha mean...hopefully, you can figure out a work schedule so you aren't out of work.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The police said there was a chance, but with so much crime in this city, and how big it is, they are really stretched thin...but I will keep my fingers crossed.

I took a few pics tonight, but then my cameras batteries died...this just screams more to fix than a $2,000 car is worth, not to mention all the stuff leaking under the hood...

Brace yourself!!!!! Ouch! The batteries in my camera died before I could get more!

Poor 'ol car!

Via the train and a bus, I will be able to work almost my normal hours for the next 3 weeks, until fall semester begins...hopefully, by then, I will manage to get another car...that is when it may get funny.

But not drinking, and will not drink tomorrow.

I guess it is past midnight, so day 18 has begun
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ouch is right. It hurts just to look. Driver had to be loaded or crazy or both.

Well, there is some good news here—you're entering Day 18 from a position of strength. I think if deep down you were looking for an excuse to drink, this easily could have been it. So while it appears to be the end of the ol' Metro, it seems to be the start of a healthier and happier future for you.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ouch... i really hope you can adjust your work times and get back to track soon. And i'm really happy that you're handling this all so well without touching the bottle. I don't know honestly how I would've reacted! My prayers are with you.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
You might consider posting whatever details you have on the 2004 Silver Tacoma on a site like Reddit.com You'd be surprised at the power of crowd sourcing...