Notices

Panic Attacks

Old 08-07-2011, 02:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Attacks

Fell off the wagon after 48 days yesterday at a wedding. Does anybody have any advive/methods of dealing with panic attacks? I can feel I'm on the verge of a big one and trying desperately to cling on :'(
Old 08-07-2011, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can really sympathise with you. I suffered panic attacks nearly every day when I was drinking. I have had one since I stopped

The only way I used to deal with it was by trying to relax, concentrate on my breathing. I tried relaxation music, that sometimes helped.

xx
Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Agree with above if that didn't work for me I'd get up and get active.. do anything and think just about that, not your worries.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First things first. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on that wagon epskie. Don't be too hard on yourself. Most people relapse. The important thing is to figure out what caused you to drink and work on what you will do the next time. I went 60 days and fell of the wagon. I was in so much shame that I continued drinking for a month. As far as panic attacks. That is probably the alcohol but you should talk to your doctor about it. I suggest that if you drink caffeine, lay off of it or slow down for a couple of days. I found that caffeine made me very nervous which triggered panic for me. Hang in there
Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Epskie

Great you're on here posting, keep doing this!!

I too sufferered very bad panic attacks during a couple of years, it was crippling and more difficult than anything i've ever experienced, they started quite late in my life when i was 32.
I know now that my alcohol consumption made them much worse, the lightheadedness often triggered them.
I was at a loss as to how to make them stop. For me the changing point was when i was prescribed a small dose of prozac, the attacks gradually faded and then completely stopped. This was more than a year ago and i haven't felt any fullblown attack since. I was only on the prozac for a couple of months but the effect on my attacks have lasted.
This worked for me, not sure about what would be best for you.

I know that distrating myself, focus on my breathing often helped calm me down. I also read alot on the internet trying to understand what was happening to me, like understanding i wasn't about to die, but that i was experiencing a fight and flight emotion, trying to rational my feelings was very important

I have a link here i used to read from to get support
Panic Attack Help - Symptoms, Tips, Treatment
Old 08-07-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had panic attacks before I started drinking, and while I was drinking. I quit drinking, was put on Prozac and haven't had any more. I like everyone's ideas of music, relaxing, and especially...deep breathing. That used to help me a lot. Good luck! I know how horrible they are.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Dehydration set mine off. Lots of water. Hot water with lemon juice & honey.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. I didn't manage to claw it back, I went over the edge and into that despair of feeling that death is imminent. I had to call my Mum round who was incredibly supportive and after 5 hours it's now over - thank God!

What a lesson learned though, this is precisely why I gave up in the first place. I went to a beautiful wedding yesterday, it was all going so well until the complimentary wine Of course I was only going to have one or two, it didn't matter anyway as there was some lovely food so that would soak it up and after all I'm only 29 - I should be able to enjoy myself, right? WRONG!

Never, ever again! I know now that I definitely 100% cannot touch the stuff again. I am lucky as I only ever want to have a cigarette when I've had a drink so that will be gone too. Thanks everyone for all the support, I don't post here very often but I'm here everyday and it is my lifeline, as soon as the panic began it was you guys I turned to - that really is something special, thank you so much
Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been in trouble lately and starting having panic attacks. I had one the other day that I will describe. My sister recently died of a heart attack and I have a long history of PVCs. I had a major PVC and just fled the house. I drove toward my husband's work, had lunch with him, and spent the afternoon in the sun reading. Had it been a work day I wouldn't have been able to do that, but reading was really helpful. It focused me.

So congratulations of sticking with it. I hope we all can get through it.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Missy So sorry about your Sister, how tragic.

I too find reading a great solace, do you have a Kindle? I love mine and it has been excellent in my recent sobriety, any book that I feel may pick me up or distract me - I can have within a few seconds
Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi epskie,
I don't really have any words of wisdom but wanted to let you know that I feel for you. I suffer from panic attacks as well, much more recently -- I am newly sober again after a series of relapses. The panic attacks have been happening since I've gotten sober again, because all my feelings and emotions are back. I was sober for one year before, and I remember the panic attacks decreased as time went on.
All I can recommend that works for me is writing about it. Get your feelings out there. Talk about them, too.
Do you take medication? I recently discontinued mine because they weren't working anymore, but there are a lot of good meds out there that help tremendously with panic.

Best of luck to you, and remember you aren't alone in this!
Rebecca
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been dealing with Panic and depression since I was 13yrs. When I found alcohol at 16yrs I thought it was a godsend! NOT SO MUCH! In the end it made the panic worse as I'm sure we all know. I feel for ANYONE with this disorder (1 in 4 people have anxiety disorders). Hope you are feeling better.