Self-Care

Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Self-Care

I just wanted to share a few quotes about self-care from Melanie Beattle's Codependent No More. Taking care of myself is what I struggle with the most - I always put others before myself, try to fix everyone else's problems and lives, and my own life ends up on the back burner. I'm sure many of you have gone through this or are going through this right now, and it is important to remind ourselves that we matter, we are important, and we need to take care of ourselves first and foremost, and the following words have inspired me to get my life back on track, to get ME back.

"The surest way to make ourselves crazy is to get involved in other people's business, and the quickest way to become sane and happy is to tend to our own affairs."

"Self-care is an attitude toward ourselves and our lives that says...

I am responsible for myself.

I am responsible for leading or not living my life.

I am responsible for tending to my spiritual, emotional, physical, and financial well-being.

I am responsible for identifying and meeting my needs.

I am responsible for solving my problems or learning to live with those I cannot solve.

I am responsible for my choices.

I am responsible for what I give and receive.

I am responsible for setting and achieving my goals.

I am responsible for how much I enjoy life, for how much pleasure I find in daily activities.

I am responsible for whom I love and how I choose to express this love.

I am responsible for what I do to others and for what I allow others to do to me.

I am responsible for my wants and desires.

All of me, every aspect of my being, is important.

I count for something.

I matter.

My feelings can be trusted.

My thinking is appropriate.

I value my wants and needs.

I do not deserve and will not tolerate abuse or constant mistreatment.

I have rights and it is my responsibility to assert these rights..."
Old 08-06-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Codependent No More is probably the best book I have ever read on codependency and has been an important part of my recovery.

This list is a keeper and I am printing it out as a reminder to myself any time I begin to mind anyone else's business.

I am worthy of living a balanced and healthy life and happiness always. I strive to stay on that path.

Thanks for sharing this here. We all ARE worthy of the best care possible.

Hugs
Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot about this book. I may need to invest in getting a copy.
Thank you for the post.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I should prolly be rereading CNM...lol I taped the cover with funny tape so no one would know what I was reading.

Classically worried what everyone thinks, I know.

I struggle with this BIG time. In fact it's going to be
The topic of my next therapy session.
For me, I had an overbearing mother with OCD like tendencies so normal day to day responsibilities are a source of stress
For me. Might seem strange, but I go through this process of stress because I was taught to believe that I can't do it on my own
In a lot of different ways.

Has anyone ever read Cheryl Richardsons The Art of Extreme Self Care?

I started listening to her radio show on Hay House Radio and I always wanted to check it out!

Thanks for the reminder...I think I'm gonna pick that up and revisit my taped up CDNM lol
Old 08-06-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've read this book several times because it is so good. Thank you for the clip from the book. This is a good reminder, as I'm not great at remembeing self-care!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ann - I started keeping a journal of all the exercises and good, inspirational quotes and lines that have an impact on what I am going through right now. I also add quotes that members of this site post, anything that will help me stay focused on recovary. I read it every day and it really helps
Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Treadingwater - you should definitely get a copy, it is an amazing book! I've only read a few chapters and I'm already making changes in my life.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mary - pick up your taped up book, read it again, and then add some pretty stickers of butterflies and flowers, lol.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Blue - glad to be of service!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wonderful reminder from a great book! Thank you for sharing. This is one of the most recommended books on SR F&F of SA. This exerpt is a great example of why!

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-07-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

artist, I bought a very pretty pocket sized notebook a couple of years ago for the same reason. It goes everywhere with me and I'm always jotting down quotes. Friends and acquaintances get tickled if I bring it out and write down something they've said. I jot down quotes from members here, too
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

^^^ very smart idea...I use to do that...but for some reason i stopped....need to go and and buy a new one....(but i did save my old one(s))
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Chino & Fourmaggie:

My notebook, journal, or whatever you choose to call it, is really helping me through this tough time. I jot down how I am feeling each day, inspirational quotes, and anything else that helps me through the day. I've even written the Serenity Prayer, 12 Steps, and 12 Step Prayers in it so I can keep reminding myself of the path I have chosen to take, the path to recovery for myself. It's just a safe place for me to express how I feel without judgement, and a reminder of all of the hard work and dedication I am putting into my recovery.

I think every person who is struggling with some aspect of his/her life should have one of these notebooks
Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

what an uplifting post today. It always helps me to be reminded of anything recovery....this list is good stuff.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lightseeker,

No problem at all. I think we all need to hear something uplifting & inspirational as often as we can. Not sure about anyone else, but it's what keeps me going, keeps me focused on my own recovery.

Have a great day!