Notices

Starting again...

Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again...

Hello all.. I've been around here before and had 30 days sober last October. And then, well, you know. I thought I'd be okay to drink just a little (yeah right) and then here I am almost a year later hungover and ashamed. Blah!

I think one thing that I need to do this time is to find an AA meeting. It's so scary for me, but I found out that I can't do this alone.

Anyway, I just needed to get this out there this morning. Thanks for being here, I appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome back. Too often people don't make it back.

I know AA can be scary but there are things you can do to ease this and fairly quickly get past the discomfort. When they ask if there is anyone new here, go ahead and raise your hand. This gives everyone a chance to know that you need help and guidance. If the meeting you go to is anything like my homegroup you will find a lot of support by doing that. Don't be afraid to talk to people that you hear speak in the meeting if you hear something from them that makes sense or makes you feel like you would like to know them better. Arrive early and stay late. This allows others a better chance to see and talk with you. I have found that a support group has been at times the only thing that has saved me from taking that first drink. It is very important to build one early.

Hang in there and again glad you made it back.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, I'm new here, but I've found we're all welcome, without judgment.

I've done the "I can just drink moderately/socially/whatever way you want to word it" but we all know, the vast majority of us here can never do that. Once we accept that, least for me, it makes it a whole lot easier.

Many times, things are simply just black and white, and alcohol to an alcoholic is one of them.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Starting again is still starting. I look foward to hearing about your progress.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good luck gingertea

im going sober today too, so i hope we both make it
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I started over too many times to count but eventually I 'got it'. I am now twenty months sober and feeling better than I have in a long time. You can too.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

There you are! Welcome back! So glad to "see" you here again!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome back.

Getting sober and staying sober is about trying out new healthy ways to think and act. I glad your trying something different this time that can help.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ginger

D
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi, I'm an addict, and they STILL let me hang around this place! But they said it was a good idea to get clean, so I did, then they said it was a good idea to stay clean. And I liked being clean pretty good, but I thought I might still like bein dirty now and then...well, I learned, and it sounds like you did too, that clean is a whole lot better than dirty!

But old habits die hard. I found one new habit that helps is coming here and hanging out.

As I walked over here tonight to get online, I recalled some words I heard when I first got into recovery (two relapses ago...) you were lonely in addiction, you don't have to be lonely in recovery! That is the mantra I used to get me off my butt, put on my shoes and walkin over here. I have had a big bad ugly lonely week...and it felt way too much like it did when I was using. Now, the good news is that these days, my friends are in recovery...so, if I don't want to be alone, I have to be around people living clean! It helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everyone I have made it through my first day. phew.