Notices

getting to know me

Old 08-05-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy getting to know me

Hi all, I am just sitting here thinking about my life and how I have wasted so much time with drugs and alcohol, I have been trying to get sober for 6 years, but just can not seem to hold on, I know alot of my problem is not working the program, but as a dually addicted person I know it is easier to run then it is to stay and fight.I have never been one to follow through on things but I must make a change if I want to get better.I feel a little better with each day of sober living, but I have days where I just want to scream.
My wife has told my she can not deal with this anymore and in her mind we are no longer a couple, which hurts me so bad.I guess it is no diffrent then she feels living with a man that was just there, no support, no intimacy, nothing.This is something I will have to deal with in time but for know I really need to stay sober and that means being selfish once again and concentrating on me.If any one out there has any advice please help I can use all I can get
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey NS, welcome! You have come to the right place.

Are you reaching out for help in any other way besides here? For me it is helping to be around others who also suffer from addiction and to go to therapy.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR
Old 08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

im new here too...and im on day 4 of no pain pills...scared and all kinds of things right now at work and the wd has not been fun....so im reading what others post hoping to get some strength from that....not sure what to do..how to do it...but have no choice but to get off these pills or die and at this point im not even sure how long ive been an addict....but im scared really scared
Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome both of you. In the end the addiction leaves us with nothing, including ourselves so in sobriety and recovery we really have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Some days seem better than others, some days seem harder than others, but any of these days is better than going back into the void.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome needsobriety and pjoy! You are doing the right thing! Keep reading posts, utelize the chat room and the arcade can be fun at times!

Every time I come off a bender I try to add something to my recovery program that may be helpful. This time I am trying the AVRT technique and utilizing this website. I only have a week, but I feel pretty good so far.

needsobriety, have you thought about some marriage counseling? She can get some things off her chest in a safe environment while you work on sobriety.

*HUGS*
Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talking thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help, I am currently in one on one counselling and AA, are resources are very limited here and we do not have a NA fellowship but the members of my homegroup are very supportive.
I have asked my wife if we could go to couselling but she has said not at the moment, I need to concentrate on me right know and not us, which is very good advice, I believe everything happens for a reason,she has not left the home yet and said she won't just yet she has not completley decided what she is going to do but for know we are just talking and taking things one step at a time.But for know I am not pushing the subject because I won't be able to fully concentrate on my recovery if I am distracted.WOW I can't beleive I just said that. I really need to take my own advice and stop worrying, everything will work out the way it is supposed to
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried for years to get sober then a preacher said something to me which hit home. She explained that it took the Isrealites 40 years to make an 11 day trip because they kept going around the same mountain. I made up my mind I wasn't going around that mountain again. Best of luck to you; it will get easier with each day that passes.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Best wishes!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR needsobriety and pjoy
You'll both find a lot of support here - you're among friends

D
Old 08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I don't really have any advice, but I know how tricky the marriage thing can be when dealing with something like this. My husband and I have gone through some very hard times because of my drinking and also in sobriety. Lot of resentment from both sides to get through. Just want to let you know that you're not alone!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My wife shot me a video of me drunk and yelling on her phone. The next morning, she showed it to me. I was HORRIFIED! I cried... I tried to quit, but drank for another year!

I eventually realized I couldn't have any more alcohol ever again, or I would lose her and everything else. But I lost my self-respect first.

Alcohol (and my addicted mind) had been protecting itself at my expense. With alcohol gone, I again have hope, and I am recovering what I lost a little more each day I am sober.

Welcome to a new life!