need advice, not sure this is the right forum

Old 08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need advice, not sure this is the right forum

Hi, I'm not sure that I'm posting this in the right spot. My husband was asked to resign from his teaching job about a year and a half ago, due to his drinking. Because of the support of his principal and the community, the county allowed him to resign rather than firing him.

He took last year off to stay with out kids and to "get his s**t together." He's applied to a ton of teaching jobs, and wasn't successful in getting interviews. He finally had a successful interview, was offered the job, but then HR called him and said that the position fell through because of something with references. They would not reiterate. We are not sure what happened. He spoke with his references and they do not know either (assuming that they were telling him the truth).

My question is: has anyone else successful in getting a job after being asked to resign. I realize that teaching may be out of the question at this point, but will it be even possible for him to get a job anywhere else? Has anyone had experience with this? Any advice?

We are pretty desperate at this point. We didn't make a whole lot of money, as two teachers, but with just my salary and two small children...We were able to do ok last year, but credit cards were used more than I wanted and it was pretty tight. I'm sure that we will be ok, barring anything horrible, but I was hoping to send my older son for a year of preschool before kindergarten...sorry, at this point, I'm just rambling.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes you can work again after being fired/resigning. You just don't use anyone from that job as a reference. I was fired from one job with extreme prejudice (and I had it coming too) and the next one was even higher paying. He needs to come up with a good reason why he left. If I was him I'd say I got burned out. Everyone knows that teachers get burnt out.

I suggest he tries educational companies, academic publishing companies - related jobs where you don't actually work with children. Maybe as an account manager or something like that.

Good luck - I know unemployment is hard as hell.