Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

August 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON

Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

August 4 in The Little Blue Book ONE DAY at a TIME in AL-ANON:

One source of frustration we seldom recognize is in expecting too much of others or expecting too specifically what we feel they ought to be, say, give or do.

If I expect another person to react in a certain way to a given situation, and he or she fails to meet my expectation, have I the right to be disappointed or angry?

Every human being has his own individual drives and motivations, beyond my understanding and control. I may say, “But he knew what I expected,” not realizing that it may have been precisely for this reason that he rebelled and acted otherwise.

My search for peace of mind will bear fruit much more readily if I stop expecting and relax into acceptance.

TODAY’S REMINDER

I will not set a pattern based on my own experience and wishes – and expect someone else to live up to it. This is interference of a subtle and damaging kind; it damages my peace of mind and dignity, and those I am smothering with my expectations.

“I, too, often fail to live up to the expectations of others.”